Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Rock Auger

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-08-2018 @ 10:05 PM
    Thanks

Rock Auger

Does anyone have any experience with a rock auger on a tractor, perhaps a 2038R?

I've seen these on a skid steer, but not a compact tractor, so was wondering if these is even feasible or if I would tear something up even trying.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Thanks
    Do you mean Post Hole Digger (PHD)?
    Rogero246 likes this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:24 AM
    Thanks
    Basically itís a diffrent auger that goes on post hole auger. The ones I have seen say cat 2 or 3 hitches. You would have to grind for a while. Also you need to hang weight on a hitch and they even put weight on skid steer buckets to do this. You need the constant down pressure on the cutting head. Also the hydraulic front mount auger is probably better looks like it would be pretty hard on a direct connection and you donít have the ability to feather in and out on force like you do with hydraulic.

Rock Augers Archives - Harleman Manufacturing

Video, watch the skid steer lift even with all the weight already applying down force.

https://youtu.be/lPUbT7Fc04o
    mjncad likes this.
    2007 2305, New to Me 12/15
    62c MMM, Independent Mid Lift
    H130 FEL, Heavy Hitch, , IMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks,
    N1 Sunshade, 48" Flex Hitch King Kutter,
    72" CTA Snow Pusher, CIDAttachments Forks
    LP 60Ē Grader Scrapper, R2 Edge Tamers
    Hitch'N Can

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MeagerHair For This Useful Post:

mjncad†(07-30-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:28 PM
    Thanks
    I have a post hole digger on my bobcat I bought used. It came with a rockauger like this but LOWE brand out of Wisconsin. I can see were it would be better for digging dirt with a three point because it wonít suck itself in as fast as the standard augers. I have never used it in hard material. I could also see where it would be a problem on a three point in hard material because they spin so fast.
    mjncad likes this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    09-10-2019 @ 02:23 PM
    Thanks
    I worked on a fence crew in highschool that used a belltec rock auger for rock holes that couldn't be driven. The tractor was a large ford that had a side slide mounted driver, auger on back, and forks out front.

Newer model: Information Page | Belltec Industries Inc.

Picture here: https://www.equipmentland.com/produc...c-hole-digger/

We drilled solid rock with the bits. Each rock hole was easily 15 minutes if it was solid.
    mjncad and Herminator like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    That Belltech looks like it would work quite well and would definitely be the way to go, if you could afford it.

I have a PHD so I was hoping to find a way to use it, perhaps with a different auger blade with carbide teeth, but I wasn't sure if a normal PHD could take the abuse of drilling through nearly solid rock. My other concern was with the down pressure. I hadn't considered rear PTO speed, but that's yet another concern.
    mjncad and Herminator like this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 06:16 AM
    Thanks

Impressive

Quote Originally Posted by MeagerHair View Post
    Basically itís a diffrent auger that goes on post hole auger. The ones I have seen say cat 2 or 3 hitches. You would have to grind for a while. Also you need to hang weight on a hitch and they even put weight on skid steer buckets to do this. You need the constant down pressure on the cutting head. Also the hydraulic front mount auger is probably better looks like it would be pretty hard on a direct connection and you donít have the ability to feather in and out on force like you do with hydraulic.

Video, watch the skid steer lift even with all the weight already applying down force.

That's pretty damn impressive- down 4' or more in 5 minutes in solid rock! I want one. Don't know why as I don't have an rock like that but what the heck, maybe some will grow.

Treefarmer
    mjncad, keane and Herminator like this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:07 AM
    Thanks
    There's no way I'd use a 3PH PTO powered mechanical drive on something like that. Although you can control the speed via the throttle, you can't reverse the auger if it snags a large root, hard-pan, or a rock just right where the auger pulls itself in, with no easy way to retrieve it. Don't ask me how I know.

That being said; I'll bet if some vibration could be added to the auger in a similar manner to a rotary hammer, it would go through fairly quickly depending on the type.

In any case; one better have a lot of holes to drill to justify those toys instead of renting equipment, or hiring young, dumb, and strong people to do the work. Cleaning out the spoils that fall back in the hole is a pain in the butt. Don't ask me how I know.
    keane and Herminator like this.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    There's no way I'd use a 3PH PTO powered mechanical drive on something like that. Although you can control the speed via the throttle, you can't reverse the auger if it snags a large root, hard-pan, or a rock just right where the auger pulls itself in, with no easy way to retrieve it. Don't ask me how I know. [IMG class=inlineimg]https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/images/smilies/banghead.gif[/IMG]

That being said; I'll bet if some vibration could be added to the auger in a similar manner to a rotary hammer, it would go through fairly quickly depending on the type.

In any case; one better have a lot of holes to drill to justify those toys instead of renting equipment, or hiring young, dumb, and strong people to do the work. Cleaning out the spoils that fall back in the hole is a pain in the butt. Don't ask me how I know.
    I think you're spot on with hiring it done. I just thought there might be a chance of modifying an existing PHD to make it work.

Speaking of rotary hammer, I was also interested in something like that just to break up large surface rocks for easier removal.

Any one have any experience with such an implement for a tractor? Again, they're common on skid steers, but I haven't seen one for a tractor (I'm new to this by the way.)
    mjncad likes this.

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MeagerHair View Post

You can just hear the hydraulics screaming!
    mjncad and Treefarmer like this.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast