• 2 Post By Zebrafive
  • 3 Post By eric102

Thread: Root grapple vs rake grapple

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:17 PM
    Thanks

Root grapple vs rake grapple

Iím looking for a single lid grapple for a 2025r with the 120r loader. The rake grapple seems lighter and has a larger lid. But whats main difference in them and whatís advantage of one or other? Iíve never used one but look like they would be extremely handy. Iíd mainly use one for moving brush and possibly taking out small shrubs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    AP10F 42" Frontier pallet forks
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Thanks

Root grapple vs rake grapple

Quote Originally Posted by Wvdeere View Post
    Iím looking for a single lid grapple for a 2025r with the 120r loader. The rake grapple seems lighter and has a larger lid. But whats main difference in them and whatís advantage of one or other? Iíve never used one but look like they would be extremely handy. Iíd mainly use one for moving brush and possibly taking out small shrubs

Sorry. Meant to post in implements and attachments section.

Last edited by Wvdeere; 07-31-2018 at 03:29 PM.
    -Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    05-03-2019 @ 02:38 PM
    Thanks
    Short answer is that you will love either. I’ve never seen otherwise.

The rake grapple (clam) is a bit better for raking through the ground (clearing roots/vines/grass). The tines are closer to the mounting point and so are easier to drive steadily through the ground at a given depth. It also opens further for a bit easier time grabbing large piles of brush since it opens really wide. Lastly, the way the lid is mounted you can drag with most of them without overstressing the hydraulics. They are also othen a bit lighter.

The root grapple (L style) can hold loose things better. The main way you can hold stuff with the rake grapple is with pressure from the lid. This makes it harder to grab 5 logs, firewood, or a bunch of rocks. The root style has a “bottom” and you can carry/lift/place stuff using that. You can also “pop” things out of the ground more easily, since you can lever the tines up.

I’ll summarize by saying the root style is a bit more of a generalist, and the rake grapple is a bit better specifically for clearing brush (at a bit of a cost in other areas). You can look at them both on EA’s site and with their videos you’ll see this generally proving out and you’ll see both in action. They also have a nice lightweight root style that makes the weight difference negligable.

I went with the root style, and it’s true then when I am spending a whole day or two on brush piles I wish I had the rake just a bit. The root does it fine, but I can tell that a little wider opening would be lovely... Then I grab a pile of rocks or carry 3 stumps at once and don’t regret my choice. =) This gets back to point #1, you will be super happy either way. I absolutely love mine.
    1026R TLB (53", Artillian diverter, Ken's Hooks), 260BH (thumb, step), 60D MMM, rear blade, box blade, landscape rake, land plane, tiller, aerator, Artillian forks, 50" wicked grapple
    IS700z (27HP B&S commercial, 61Ē deck)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HunterWare For This Useful Post:

Wvdeere†(07-31-2018)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    09-03-2019 @ 03:52 PM
    Thanks
    Like HunterWare said any grapple is nice to have. I prefer the two independent grapples for brush. They work better carrying unequal loads. I don't have a picture of my grapple handy but this is identical to mine that I use on my skid steer. Click image for larger version.†

Name:	listing_pic_944903_142602069611.jpg†
Views:	13†
Size:	79.0 KB†
ID:	641144
    North585 and PJR832 like this.

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-16-2019 @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    CTAttachments makes one too, and Ive been looking at it and the Everything Attachments Wicked Root Rake Grapple.

Ive not made up my mind yet, but those two are about the only ones in consideration for me. They weigh considerably less than most others (200# + -), and that can be big deal on these tractors, well, depending on how big a tractor you plan to put it on.
    Its also somewhat dependent on your plans for your grapple. If you are just using it for brush, it might not be that big a concern. Moving hardwood logs, it starts to matter.
    Most of the L shaped grapples weigh at least 300#.

Since Im still learning about all this stuff, I tend to follow all these grapple threads.
    One day, sooner rather than later I hope, I wont need to because Ill have my own.
    PJR832 and Wvdeere like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I will use it to move the occasional tree but mostly brush and shrubs. I like the EA products. Especially the weight. I think I like how the rake grapple closes smaller. Unless you grab with the tip of the root grapple your kind of scooping. Wish there was a medium where you had some surface to curl a load onto but not as long as the root grapple. And where it would close tighter like the rake grapple so you could carry smaller material and it still clamp down.

-Alex-

2018 2025R
    60" MMM
    120R Loader
    AV10F Frontier snow plow
    Blue Diamond Toothbar
    Kens Bolt on Hooks
    5 Ft KK Box Blade
    Carry All
    Single Row Cultivator
    KK Middle Buster

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:50 PM
    Thanks
    I have the "root" style. You can not easily slid under things to pick them up. For brush, I push until the pile looks big enough, use the "dump" function of the loader to "roll" the grapple lid over the pile then close the lid. You can pick up a lot of brush this way.
    PJR832 and goat704! like this.
    J
    John Deere 2030 w/245SL Loader
    John Deere 6415 w/640SL Loader
    John Deere 285 50" deck Stolen May 2017
    John Deere x485 62" deck AWS
    Kawasaki Mule 2510 4x4 bought new 1996
    Ford F250 4x4 bought new 1978

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    I use my EA 55" rake like a mini bulldozer for clearing or building trails in the woods. It easily digs into the soil and rips out most of the brush in a few passes and can also move a fair amount of dirt going forward or backwards for leveling. Its very compact which is plus for working in tight spots like the woods.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20170524_172331953.jpg IMG_20170524_173043299.jpg IMG_20170524_173747587.jpg
    Whoops, Wvdeere and goat704! like this.
    2008 3320 -- 2014 X739

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements