• 1 Post By 56Nine
  • 3 Post By Tx Jim

Thread: Chain for JD 40 Tiller

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-01-2018 @ 06:23 AM
    Thanks

Chain for JD 40 Tiller

Hello - dropped the chain for the drivechain on one side of my JD 40 tiller. Able to fix the cover etc., but need to get a replacement chain. Circa 1980 I'm guessing - inherited from my late father in law. Tiller works perfectly well otherwise and would like to avoid having to purchase a new tiller. Having trouble locating a replacement chain. Any suggestions? Also, is this by chance #40 size chain that I could cut from a bulk length. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    The size of chain is fairly common.
    I did a search in your area, given what you have below your avatar. If you have a Grainger in your area, that may be your best bet for something on-hand.
    Here's the Google search to give you other ideas. https://www.google.com/search?q=wher...nt=firefox-b-1
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    The parts catalog says its made up of 57 links of a type 60 roller chain and any farm supply should carry it.
    goat704! likes this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:35 AM
    Thanks
    Another thought is if chain isn't worn too much just acquire a chain repair tool & coupler link(see photos below) & get a connecting link then reassemble old chain. I've repaired many roller chains in the last 50 yrs.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Capture.PNG   Capture.PNG  
    Last edited by Tx Jim; 08-01-2018 at 06:02 AM.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 56Nine View Post
    The parts catalog says its made up of 57 links of a type 60 roller chain and any farm supply should carry it.

Many thanks for this! Could I ask where you went to look this up? I'm having a heck of a time finding info for things like this. I'm pretty handy, but am spending an inordinate amount of time just looking up info. Thanks again.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx Jim View Post
    Another thought is if chain isn't worn too much just acquire a chain repair tool & coupler link(see photos below) & get a connecting link then reassemble old chain. I've repaired many roller chains in the last 50 yrs.
    Did exactly that through Amazon prime yesterday. Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find the other chain, but it appears as though the replacement is a fairly straight-forward exercise.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert View Post
    Many thanks for this! Could I ask where you went to look this up? I'm having a heck of a time finding info for things like this. I'm pretty handy, but am spending an inordinate amount of time just looking up info. Thanks again.
    Sure:
    1. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/
    2. in the search bar enter "40 tiller" (quotes not necessary)
    3. from the selections that come up, click on "CHAIN CASE (40) [A09] - 9"
    4. from the illustration, click on the number 23.
    5. the description will pop up in the window on the right side, the description is there.

** I do this in the PC browser, it very well may be different on a mobile device.

Now that I went back through the steps, I clicked on the model 448, that has the description, but you get the idea. I see the model 40 chain description is blank, so you may want to investigate further.
    Last edited by 56Nine; 08-01-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements