Any advice on the snow blade that would attach to an X590?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Any advice on the snow blade that would attach to an X590?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    07-26-2019 @ 08:17 PM
    Thanks

Any advice on the snow blade that would attach to an X590?

Hi,

I'm considering buying this tractor, but the dealer currently does not have any blades to show me. I'm just a bit hesitant to buy without seeing because, for my property, plowing heavily drifted snow at times is a big part of what I use a tractor for. I've been using a Cub Cadet 129 (one of the old IH models) and the plow on that one is built like a tank. I've also not seen whatever attachment assy that would need to go on the front of the tractor, so any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
    Keith

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,216 Posts
    If the parts illustrations are of any help... here you go. The first assy is BM26155 and is called the snow blower and front blade compatibility kit.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BM26155.jpg   X590_blade.jpg  
    North585 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    J....thanks. Anything helps, since I've not gotten any info at all from the dealer about what I'd be getting with the tractor. Hoping someone will chime in that has familiarity with using these attachments.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    If the parts illustrations are of any help... here you go. The first assy is BM26155 and is called the snow blower and front blade compatibility kit.

Did some searching found the parts area of the JD website. Thanks again for leading me in the right direction. It appears this same compatibility kit is used for many different tractor models.
    Last edited by three4rd; 08-10-2018 at 03:51 PM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I can't resist saying something derogatorily funny. I envision the engineer(s) that designed that conglomeration have framed copies hanging on their walls.
    Thinking, who needs a Penthouse?
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:56 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,600 Times in 1,216 Posts
    If you have a chance to look at a 54" blade for a 1-series I suspect the construction is similar. The 48" blade for the X590 weighs 54lb. and the 54" blade for the 1-series weighs 65lb. Which, isn't a real surprise since the blade JD chose to use on the 1-series was designed for a garden tractor.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:10 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
    Hi,

I'm considering buying this tractor, but the dealer currently does not have any blades to show me. I'm just a bit hesitant to buy without seeing because, for my property, plowing heavily drifted snow at times is a big part of what I use a tractor for. I've been using a Cub Cadet 129 (one of the old IH models) and the plow on that one is built like a tank. I've also not seen whatever attachment assy that would need to go on the front of the tractor, so any thoughts on that would be appreciated as well.

Thanks,
    Keith
    Because of your comment I highlighted in red and the item #16 shown in the top illustration you copied (the drive belt) and you are used to machine which is built MUCH HEAVIER DUTY than are newer machines, I would strongly encourage you to consider going into the x7XX series machines. Granted, you don't need a belt for the snow plow, but since you are already at the top of the X5XX machine line, I would encourage you to look at the shaft driven implements of the x7xx series machines. If you get "heavily drifted snow" at times, you may need to consider going with a two stage snow thrower, in addition to your blade to deal with the total snow volumes.

The physical size of the difference in machines between the x590 and the x7xx machines is pretty minimal. The x7xx machines have hydraulic lifts, power steering, full hydraulic implement connections, etc. Fully hydraulic blade angling is a feature for snow plowing that once you have used it, you wouldn't want to be without it. The x7xx machines have hydraulic angling cylinders on the 54" front plow mount. You can use the same mount with the angling cylinder for the 2 stage snow thrower, you just put a pin in the hitch so it can't angle and the hydraulic line which angles the snow blade rotates the blower chute when using that attachment..........

I have three neighbors with the x5XX series machines with the front mounted snowblower. All of them opted for the snow thrower instead of the front mounted blade. For the last 3 years, first one neighbor has paid me to plow his driveway because of the "Hassle and expense" of swapping from the mower deck to the blower and back again in the spring. Now, this has grown to include all three of them as they have always paid Deere to come out and take their mower deck off and mount the snow removal equipment and then do the reverse in the spring. All of these owners have Deere do all of their service work and seasonal changes to their equipment. I even offered to show two of the neighbors how to make this change over them selves, but they simply don't want to bother with it or due to circumstances, they can't do it on their own.

The first neighbor who owns the machine and contacted me about snow plowing told me that as long as my plow bills were below $700 per season, he was saving money based upon what he actually spends for these seasonal service calls. As it turns out, three of the last four winters, the snow plowing was right near the amount spent on the service transition cost.

Things happen (knee surgeries, back issues, etc.) plus as my neighbor indicated "it's not as much fun as it looks, watching you plow and blow snow, once you are covered in the snow from blower and the winds which are constantly changing." In fact, I have 4 driveways in my neighborhood which the owners pay me to plow and handle their snow removal and they own tractors (3 Deere, 1 Craftsman) and front mounted snow blowers of their own.

This all began when My neighbor who has the x5xx machine had to have knee replacement surgery either 3 or 4 winters ago. He had one knee done in Late November and the other in Mid January, so he was down for the entire winter. He hired me to plow snow for him since he couldn't "Push the pedals to lift the implements and operate the tractor" (his words, not mine. I don't know how his implement lift works). He has contacted me each fall since to continue handling the snow removal duties.

I do know that the older I get, the less fun it is to lay on the ground and wrestle around mower decks, belt drives, front mounts, tire chains, etc.

Bottom line, if you can get a simple implement mount and switch system and avoid drive belts for the snow blower and instead, have shaft driven implements, I would at a minimum, investigate the cost difference. The system to remove the deck and install the front hitch and blade or blower on the x7xx machines is very efficient. I have done it numerous times myself and while I never timed myself, I would say it's a 25 to 30 minute project* to totally switch from one season to the next.

Don't forget, you will very likely need extra weight brackets for the rear of any machine and also suitcase weights and or rear wheel weights. Tire chains are a real possibility if you have deep snow drifts. As you know, these add cost and also increase the "switch over time" from grass to snow removal.

Here is another reality with the current market. Often, dealers have low hour x7xx machines which the owners have traded to move up to the 1 series........I saw a x738 yesterday with 3 hours for sale on Craigslist......3 hours. The owner wants a bigger machine (the 1 series).........

As is often the case with these machines, the additional cost for the implements and required accessories adds up in a big hurry. That's one of the reason's why if the opportunity to purchase a used machine where someone else has already made this capital investment presents itself, it's something to consider.

Often, the attachments can be bought used for a fraction of their cost new. Also, the items like "front drive units" and "front quick hitches" are almost thrown in on the deal on used machines. You can easily spend $2,000 to add a front mounted hitch, 54" snow blade, weights, chains, etc. You can double the expense or more, if it's a front mounted two stage snow thrower instead of the front snow blade..

Something to think about......................

*That 25 to 30 minutes I mentioned is simply removing the deck and installing the snow removal gear. It does NOT include the time I spend cleaning the mower deck, sharpening the blades, greasing everything, touching up the mower deck paint and getting it fully prepared for use when I store it in the fall. If possible, actually see the effort needed to remove the mower deck, install the front mounted hitch, install the snow blade or snow thrower and any necessary drive belts or shafts. If you can either do it yourself, or at a minimum, watch it done, then you know what you are in for.

Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    I can't resist saying something derogatorily funny. I envision the engineer(s) that designed that conglomeration have framed copies hanging on their walls.
    For the articles.........and the "Penthouse Forum"....

Isn't that why everyone read or reads Penthouse Forum? Plus, it's always real interesting to learn that "Tiffany's hobbies include Bare Back riding"........ and her fears include horses.......
    DRobinson likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    Lol...I think probably any exploded diagram of mechanical devices has a similar impact when you look at it...

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Sulley,

Thanks for that very informative reply! Your points are all well taken and worthy of consideration, but I don't believe I want to go as far as buying something in the 700 series. I'm beginning to think that for the approx. $800 I'd invest in the blade for the 590, for just a bit more money I could put a rebuilt engine in the cub and continue to use it primarily just for plowing. Doing so would avoid any hassle with these front end attachments that I'm seeing on several different tractor brands. That Cub has handled every blizzard that's come along since '81, so it's not a totally crazy idea to possibly keep using it. Flip side of the coin is having to store and maintain 2 tractors.

This statement you made..."I do know that the older I get, the less fun it is to lay on the ground and wrestle around mower decks, belt drives, front mounts, tire chains, etc."....I believe I can relate to that!!! These 55+ retirement communities sometimes look better and better to me!
    Last edited by three4rd; 08-11-2018 at 11:38 AM.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by three4rd View Post
    Lol...I think probably any exploded diagram of mechanical devices has a similar impact when you look at it...
    three4rd, I sent you a private message
    Oh heck, I built this (every nut, bolt, screw) in 3D from original Blueprints. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjjDpG5IkXyIh0en_PD_Z8SkcoJD
    And another set of images. It was my "Penthouse" for the time. https://1drv.ms/f/s!AjjDpG5IkXyIiEzHFGmk3h-DsJES
    Last edited by Boonie; 08-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast