• 1 Post By klunker
  • 2 Post By MowJoe

Thread: Caroni 47" flail mower review

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks

Caroni 47" flail mower review

I purchased a Caroni 47" Flail mower, model TL1200.
    I went with the Caroni primarily because of the height adjustments.

I bought the mower for maintenance of 4 acres of prairie planting and mowing some trails. I went with the 47" mower to keep it compact. I'll use it in the woods and on trails. Any wider width would result in trails wider than I wanted and make maneuvering harder. The next size up mower was 59" and all the extra width apparently is on the right side only. At least according to the dimensions given to me by the supplier of Caroni Mowers. That would of made my mower stick out another foot on the right side.

The mower is offset to the right side approx 4". It sticks out past the right rear wheel a couple of inches and the cover over the belts is pretty close to even with the left rear tires outside edge.

After I got it mounted to the tractor I went to adjust the side skids as it is shipped with the skids all the way up along with the roller.
    Turns out the holes in the side skids don't line up with the side of the mower housing when at the skids at the farthest down position.
    Not the end of the world, I can hoogle out the holes, but it shows poor manufacturing control.
    I ended up leaving the side skids off and adjusting the roller all the way down for mowing about 3/4 acre of 1st year prairie planting.
    Then I shortened the PTO shaft approx 6". The PTO shaft sits at an angle when its assembled between the mower and the tractor.
    I have my suspicions why its like that. Cost, is my guess, it keeps the sub-assemblies down between different models. I don't think it really hurts anything as the PTO shaft should be able to run when not in a straight line, some angle is part of the function of it after all. But again, I think that it shows that Caroni is more motivated by saving a few bucks rather than making the product the best it can be.

Included are some pictures of the mounting of the mower on the tractor.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails caroni flail 003.JPG   caroni flail 005.JPG   caroni flail 006.JPG   caroni flail 008.JPG  
    mjncad, fdmars, Bubber and 3 others like this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 05:25 AM
    Thanks
    What type of flails does it have? How is the cut?
    Levi likes this.
    1025r
    H120 Loader w/Ken's hooks, Pirhana Bar, Ratchet Rake, Bucket Tamer Shoes, front quick hitch
    260 Backhoe w/Ken's hook, BXpanded Thumb, Bro-Tec Ripper Tooth
    Artillian Diverter kit. Grapple w/Fangs, loader arm mounted 54 snow blade w/ wings, 24" forks
    54" Rock Bucket
    Ballast box
    I-Match
    Box Blade
    Back Blade
    3pt CarryAll
    Boom Pole
    Artillian Front Hoe
    RimGuard in all 4
    2" Wheel Spacers
    Heavy Hitch
    Block Heater
    HLA 60" Snow Pusher w/Backdrag Blade
    Tektite hard side heated cab

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 08:06 PM
    Thanks
    It has the finish cut flails, the 2 pc metal pieces that look like a upside down Y as they hang on the shaft.

The cut is OK, again I'm cutting at approx 6-8 inches up. So I'm sure the cut isn't as good as if I lowered it.
    I also learned that it works much better if I run it so the roller is off the ground, I set it at approx 1" above the ground. The rollers don't flatten the plants at all this way. so if you go over a previously cut area it'll take off anything that it missed the 1st time.
    Levi likes this.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:28 PM
    Thanks
    Used my Victory flail today for the second time. Pretty pleased with its performance in tall stuff.

‘17 1025r w/FEL
    (2) 80 JD carts
    18 JD cart
    Land Pride 4’ land plane
    Land Pride 1258 tiller
    Land Pride FDR 1660
    Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
    Victory EF155 flail mower
    mark02tj and PJR832 like this.

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements