John Deere 709 Rotary cutter slip clutch adjustment

Thread: John Deere 709 Rotary cutter slip clutch adjustment

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-08-2019 @ 06:19 PM
    Thanks

John Deere 709 Rotary cutter slip clutch adjustment

Is anyone familiar with how to properly adjust the slip clutch on a 709 rotary cutter like the one in the picture? I just purchased this rotary cutter used. The nut on the back of the slip clutch kept coming loose so I took it apart and found the friction discs were all shot. I replaced the 4 discs and cleaned everything up and put it back together. Not knowing how tight to tighten the nut I snugged it up until nothing was moving and went out to try and cut some grass. I didn't get 50 yards and it loosened off and started smoking. I stopped and tightened it and didn't get 20 yards and it started smoking again so I headed back to the shop. I messaged a friend that has a little knowledge on these to see what he had to say. He said the spring discs after the nut should be on so the curved side was facing towards the gear box...check I had that right. He the said tighten down so much that if I was stepping on the wrench my foot would come off the ground. I proceeded to start tightening and long before I got that tight the spring disc popped and went concave the other way. The problem now is with them concave the nut bottoms out before it's tight enough. Clearly I'm doing something wrong or have it put together wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

DaveClick image for larger version.

Name:	20180810_151402_resized.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	642582

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:38 PM
    Thanks
    I was told to replace the steel spacers with the disks, they wear as well.

4. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements