Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: 260B backhoe dolly

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-22-2018 @ 07:23 AM
    Thanks

260B backhoe dolly

I got sick of this disaster in my garage and was inspired by the 260 backhoe dolly builds that you all decided to post, so I made my own too! I used the attached file as a guide, created by GreenTractorTalk member "Keane". Unfortunately I ran into some problems that I need to correct. I believe the issues might stem from the fact that the guide might be specific to the 260 backhoe versus the 260B that I have, or more likely it might just be some error on my part.

Problems:
    1. The 5" Casters are too tall. A real shame since these have three zerk fittings and a 350 lb rating per wheel. This issue was surmountable my lifting the rear of the 1025R using the stabilizer legs, but it added another step to getting the unit on and off. I can't just pivot the backhoe on and off as others have done.
    2. The 42" dolly length seems to be much too short. It manages to grab the teeth of the bucket just barely, but I can't nestle it into the dolly like others have done. When I attempted to do so, the backhoe began to fall forward while it was still hydraulically connected to the tractor... Not Good. Once I got it figured out enough to get it on the dolly, I felt comfortable enough with it to move it into place but I'm worried about it leaking down and falling off the dolly. Come to think of it as I'm typing this, I'm wondering why in the world I backed it against the wall like that...
    3. Four swivel casters is too much. I should have used two straight casters at the end of the dolly where the frame is. It's annoying trying to push the whole assembly and it decides to start drifting to the left or right of its own volition.

Please jump in with some advice and guidance. I will post pictures of any improvements in version 2.0 once I get to there! (Thankfully 2"x6"x8' lumber isn't too expensive...)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Disaster.jpg   BH on dolly.jpg   Helper Jackstand.jpg   BH Frame.jpg  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    keane, Gebada22, Robnik and 1 others like this.
    2018 1025r TLB

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 04:36 PM
    Thanks
    I have no clue about the new backhoe. So I’m spitballing off your pictures.
    If you need any type of measurements from the old backhoe or my dolly I can measure for you.

How high are you having to go up with the BH? 1/2” to tall? A few inches to tall?

Quick looking at your pictures you could possibly change the front board to a 1x4 and remove the middle small piece and replace with a 1x4. That will give you an extra 3/4” lower.

If you need closer to 1- 1 1/4” remove that front 2x6 completely and add a fiat metal bar 3/16 or so thick. Then after letting the front of the back sit flat take the 2x4 you took off the front and put it on the dolly between the front and middle and slide it to the front till it hits the backhoe. That should give you a stopping point for reference(if the 2x6 is to tall and or wide change it to a 1x4

Also. After looking mine over and a few others in the original thread it may help if you take that extra middle board out. It seems by keeping the middle and front the same height helps the BH get an angle which should help get it on and off. Remember I have the old style BH and it could hook up completely different as I have 2 hooks up front.

If all that works then act like you are taking the backhoe off and curl the bucket up and take a measurement to see how long you will need to make the new dolly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EA7471DA-DEFE-4E4F-BA2D-B236F731E28C.jpeg   45D6DC72-25B3-4912-A82E-F6ACB27C0662.jpeg  
    Last edited by Littlegreenmachine; 08-12-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    LGM= Little Green Machine!!
    2018 2025TLB

BB2048L Box blade.
    Imatch quick hitch
    AV20F grapple
    Artillian diverter kit
    3pt tractor receiver hitch
    LR2060L Landscape Rake
    LP1060L Land Plane
    Homemade quick attach forks . http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uild-soon.html
    *Please Lord give me the strength to add to this list when my wife isn’t paying attention*

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:25 PM
    Thanks
    I too have the 260B, and made my dolly from 2x6s based on the measurements posted here.
    There was actually a PDF of the materials needed in one of the threads, thats what I used.
    I did use 3" cast iron casters, rated at 250# each, and they work well. Height is an issue if you go too big.

My dolly works just fine, and I didnt modify anything to make it work. I think the issue is in the process of detaching the backhoe and not the dolly size. I had issues with this at first, and it took a few tries to get it where I liked it.
    Keep in mind that while you are putting it on the dolly, you need to curl the bucket more so that it fits where its supposed to. The way yours is now, it will fall off the dolly if that cylinder collapses at all.

I put mine under the rear, set the bucket down on it, then curl to position it, then raise it the rest of the way off the tractor using the stabilizers and retracting the boom. Then retract everything necessary to get it where it needs to be.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 08-12-2018 at 11:47 AM.
    Gebada22, Robnik and kylew like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Thanks
    Here is my version of a 260B backhoe dolly. The dolly itself is 20" wide by 44" long.

I decided to support the front of the backhoe by putting the dolly under the 2" square cross tube.

On my tractor the bottom of the tube is 8 3/4" off the ground. I bought 5" casters that are a total of 6" tall. With two 2x6s stacked on top of the casters, the dolly would be too tall to fit under the backhoe. I used a forstner bit and chisel to create a 3/8" pocket for the castors to fit into, and notched the cross piece by 3/8" for a total 3/4" reduction in height. The dolly now has 1/2" clearance under the backhoe cross bar.

There are "ears" hanging down at each end of the cross bar and I had to notch the upper 2x6 for the ears to fit down into. The notches also help to center the dolly. Two small pieces of wood screwed to the rear of the front 2x6 keep the dolly make it easy to position the dolly under the backhoe.

I made the front cross piece 22" wide so there is a 1" overhang on each side. My original thought was for the backhoe outrigger structure to rest on the overhang for extra stability. However, the outrigger structure doesn't contact the dolly so I may cut off the overhang at some point.

The backhoe is removed by lowering the boom arm to take the weight off the attachment pins.

Once the pins are removed, the boom is fully raised and the transport pin can be put back in place. The dipper and bucket curl remained tucked in tight. The bucket does not rest on the rear dolly crosspiece, any attachment (or none at all) can be left in place.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF3886.JPG   DSCF3891.JPG   DSCF3896.JPG   DSCF3899.JPG   DSCF3889.JPG  

DSCF3890.JPG  
    Kennyd, keane, Tractor Tim and 7 others like this.
    RIKI - 2018 1025R FILB, warning light brush guards, block heater, aux rear work light, Ken's diff lock pedal
    120R FEL with 53" bucket, Ken's bolt on hooks, BXpanded Piranha toothbar
    260B BH with 16" bucket, BXpanded Quick-On Connector, BXpanded Talon Ripper
    54D MMM, autoconnect, mechanical lift
    HF quick hitch, Titan 36" pallet forks
    Alex - 1999 LX255, 42C deck with bagger

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MN_Pete For This Useful Post:

gygomba (08-20-2018), MadOx (01-21-2019), Tractor Tim (08-20-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-22-2018 @ 07:23 AM
    Thanks
    Okay, so first of all thank you so much! I have to admit that I have been avoiding this dolly build ever since I ran into problems, so I was a little apprehensive to open the thread! Well, you really delivered with some extremely good pictures and ideas, all using casters almost identical to mine. I'll have to try to work on this next week and post some new pictures.

Thanks so much for the help, I really needed something like this!
    Robnik likes this.
    2018 1025r TLB

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Pete View Post
    Here is my version of a 260B backhoe dolly. The dolly itself is 20" wide by 44" long.

I decided to support the front of the backhoe by putting the dolly under the 2" square cross tube.

On my tractor the bottom of the tube is 8 3/4" off the ground. I bought 5" casters that are a total of 6" tall. With two 2x6s stacked on top of the casters, the dolly would be too tall to fit under the backhoe. I used a forstner bit and chisel to create a 3/8" pocket for the castors to fit into, and notched the cross piece by 3/8" for a total 3/4" reduction in height. The dolly now has 1/2" clearance under the backhoe cross bar.

There are "ears" hanging down at each end of the cross bar and I had to notch the upper 2x6 for the ears to fit down into. The notches also help to center the dolly. Two small pieces of wood screwed to the rear of the front 2x6 keep the dolly make it easy to position the dolly under the backhoe.

I made the front cross piece 22" wide so there is a 1" overhang on each side. My original thought was for the backhoe outrigger structure to rest on the overhang for extra stability. However, the outrigger structure doesn't contact the dolly so I may cut off the overhang at some point.

The backhoe is removed by lowering the boom arm to take the weight off the attachment pins.

Once the pins are removed, the boom is fully raised and the transport pin can be put back in place. The dipper and bucket curl remained tucked in tight. The bucket does not rest on the rear dolly crosspiece, any attachment (or none at all) can be left in place.

Just a heads up, but it appears you may be missing a nut on that silver bracket attaching the backhoe mounting frame to your tractor. You can see it in the first picture you posted. It could be a threaded hole, but it seems like they would have threaded both top holes instead of just one. Hate to have it come apart if it is missing a nut.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 08-20-2018 at 07:32 PM.
    North585, OxPath and MN_Pete like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

MN_Pete (08-20-2018)

11. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:26 PM
    Thanks

Dolly

Some great ideas here but I think I will just either weld up one or buy one. I would want wider wheels and a bit wider dolly I think for stability. That said I haven't even picked up my 1025R FILB yet so what do I know?

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:02 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    Just a heads up, but it appears you may be missing a nut on that silver bracket attaching the backhoe mounting frame to your tractor. You can see it in the first picture you posted. It could be a threaded hole, but it seems like they would have threaded both top holes instead of just one. Hate to have it come apart if it is missing a nut.
    Thank you, Jim, you are right! I just went out to check and there is a bolt hanging there with no nut on it. The other nut and the 2 on the other side were also loose. I don't know how many times I was looking under there over the past few days and looking at the pics I took, and I totally missed it. Focused too much on the backhoe itself, I guess. I bet you saw it right away, didn't you?
    Robnik likes this.
    RIKI - 2018 1025R FILB, warning light brush guards, block heater, aux rear work light, Ken's diff lock pedal
    120R FEL with 53" bucket, Ken's bolt on hooks, BXpanded Piranha toothbar
    260B BH with 16" bucket, BXpanded Quick-On Connector, BXpanded Talon Ripper
    54D MMM, autoconnect, mechanical lift
    HF quick hitch, Titan 36" pallet forks
    Alex - 1999 LX255, 42C deck with bagger

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MN_Pete View Post
    Thank you, Jim, you are right! I just went out to check and there is a bolt hanging there with no nut on it. The other nut and the 2 on the other side were also loose. I don't know how many times I was looking under there over the past few days and looking at the pics I took, and I totally missed it. Focused too much on the backhoe itself, I guess. I bet you saw it right away, didn't you?
    Well, I did see it fairly quick, but I also used to be a designer/drafter working with curtain wall systems, so little details stand out.
    Glad I could help. Glad it wasnt a failure of some kind that made you start looking.
    Also makes me want to go check mine out just to see if the 2025 is the same, and if anything is loose on it! Found a couple bolts loose early on and havent checked for a while.
    Robnik and MN_Pete like this.
    Jim B.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"

14. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    Well I have a 260 & 260B Backhoe Dolley from BXpanded Waiting On Ryan at Bxpanded to finish work On the 260B Backhoe Dolley for the 2025R then The 260B That is in current Production That I have will be will be sent Back to Ryan for resale as I have Never put it together. My old 260 Backhoe Dolley has Now Become My Forks and Bucket Dolley. In order to accommodate the 260B Backhoe from the 2025R the 260B Backhoe Dolley Has to be raised 2 & 1/8 Inches Higher Than the Old 260 Dolley
    Last edited by Sergeant; 08-20-2018 at 10:24 PM.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast