Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree47Likes

Thread: Pallet Forks for Moving Boulders & Balled & Burlapped Trees

1. Top | #11

Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by munzzzzz View Post
    I know there are are a million threads on pallet fork length out there but I'm looking for feedback from people who use theirs for these activities. I am torn between the 36" and 42". The 36" is definitely better in the sense that it will keep the weight closer to the tractor, but I have a 2032R and I would guess 95% of the time I will be under the max lift capacity so that isn't a huge issue. I'm more worried about maneuverability and functionality vs. being able to see the forks (I see a lot of people saying they prefer the 42" because otherwise they can't see the tips).

Of course I will also use them for pallets, but more for boulders (i.e. building retaining walls) and trees (moving them around and planting).

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Should have mentioned, planning on buying the Artillian forks. A grapple and some of the other attachments are also in my future. Once I get the grapple that would likely be used for moving/placing boulders instead but I'm still a little ways off on that.

Having a 2032R (Gen1) and owning both the 36” and 42” forks-I’d say unless you are working a lot in tight quarters where the turning radius and maneuverability is your primary concern definitely get the 42” set of 3” Artillians.

I started out with an Artillian 3k frame with some full 4” x42” cascade forks rated for something like 5-6K lbs, because they were what I got locally cheap. While the length was sometimes an issue maneuvering in my barn with a pallet, that was greatly outweighed by their usefulness loading brush, logs, pallets, trees/shrubs, you name it I did it. My only issue was they weighed in at over 100lbs each and I grew very tired of constantly removing and reinstalling them to use my grapple... I had a 2300lb Artillian frame with 36” x3” tines fall in my lap and at about the same time I build my FIL a frame for the HD forks to use on his 4610 so i gifted them to him to use with the frame and I have happily been using the 36”’s ever since. They are a bit more tricky to maneuver into a pallet, etc. as the tips can be more tricky to see without looking down the side of the tractor but they are just as useful overall especially since I have a separate frame for them and don’t have to swap them for my grapple anymore!
    Last edited by balrog006; 08-14-2018 at 08:34 PM.
    SulleyBear and C-Range like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #12

Last Online
    Today @ 09:12 PM
    Thanks
    I have the 36" Artillian forks on my Gen 1 2032R and I prefer the shorter forks for popping boulders out of the ground and building stone walls. I have no issues seeing the tips when I need to. Personally, I'd love a set of 32" forks. I do a lot of running around in the woods and I've stabbed a few trees trying to navigate between them.
    Tomfive and C-Range like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #13
    Last Online
    02-02-2019 @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    Having a 2032R (Gen1) and owning both the 36” and 42” forks-I’d say unless you are working a lot in tight quarters where the turning radius and maneuverability is your primary concern definitely get the 42” set of 3” Artillians.

I started out with an Artillian 3k frame with some full 4” x42” cascade forks rated for something like 5-6K lbs, because they were what I got locally cheap. While the length was sometimes an issue maneuvering in my barn with a pallet, that was greatly outweighed by their usefulness loading brush, logs, pallets, trees/shrubs, you name it I did it. My only issue was they weighed in at over 100lbs each and I grew very tired of constantly removing and reinstalling them to use my grapple... I had a 2300lb Artillian frame with 36” x3” tines fall in my lap and at about the same time I build my FIL a frame for the HD forks to use on his 4610 so i gifted them to him to use with the frame and I have happily been using the 36”’s ever since. They are a bit more tricky to maneuver into a pallet, etc. as the tips can be more tricky to see without looking down the side of the tractor but they are just as useful overall especially since I have a separate frame for them and don’t have to swap them for my grapple anymore!
    Bud, you're recommending both the 42 & 36".Which is it? Sounds like you're been happy with the 36"
    Chris - 3720 TLB

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #14
    Last Online
    02-02-2019 @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I have the 36" Artillian forks on my Gen 1 2032R and I prefer the shorter forks for popping boulders out of the ground and building stone walls. I have no issues seeing the tips when I need to. Personally, I'd love a set of 32" forks. I do a lot of running around in the woods and I've stabbed a few trees trying to navigate between them.
    Jim, you could always take an old longer set of forks and torch or plasma cut them down a stubby length of your choice. The hard part is finding some that aren't 4 or 5"wide, weighing a ton. And it's funny, people on Craigslist seem to think their old worn out forks are worth as much as Artillian sells a pair of 36x3" brand new.
    balrog006 likes this.
    Chris - 3720 TLB

7. Top | #15
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,553 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Range View Post
    Jim, you could always take an old longer set of forks and torch or plasma cut them down a stubby length of your choice. The hard part is finding some that aren't 4 or 5"wide, weighing a ton. And it's funny, people on Craigslist seem to think their old worn out forks are worth as much as Artillian sells a pair of 36x3" brand new.

I’d like to see Artillian/Curtis bring back the 24” Landscape Forks
    balrog006, SulleyBear and C-Range like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

8. Top | #16

Last Online
    Today @ 06:18 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Range View Post
    Bud, you're recommending both the 42 & 36".Which is it? Sounds like you're been happy with the 36"
    I actually pretty clearly stated my first choice, along with why
    . Then expounded a bit on why I thought the 42’s were ideal
    that was greatly outweighed by their usefulness loading brush, logs, pallets, trees/shrubs, you name it I did it.
    I did add some superfluous info on my particular situation in between that but ended with explaining why I chose to move forward the way I did and how the 36’s are ALMOST as good as the 42’s, why I think that and how I mitigate their differences.
    I have happily been using the 36”’s ever since. They are a bit more tricky to maneuver into a pallet, etc. as the tips can be more tricky to see without looking down the side of the tractor but they are just as useful overall especially since I have a separate frame for them and don’t have to swap them for my grapple anymore!
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

9. Top | #17

Last Online
    Today @ 07:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    .I’d like to see Artillian/Curtis bring back the 24” Landscape Forks
    I'd actually been looking at them and decided to buy, then found out they'd been discontinued 2 days earlier. I was lucky and bought some from another member shortly afterwards. Haven't had a need to use them yet. Primary forks are 42".

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2