Green Tractor Talk banner

Pallet Forks for Moving Boulders & Balled & Burlapped Trees

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  dianedebuda 
#1 · (Edited)
I know there are are a million threads on pallet fork length out there but I'm looking for feedback from people who use theirs for these activities. I am torn between the 36" and 42". The 36" is definitely better in the sense that it will keep the weight closer to the tractor, but I have a 2032R and I would guess 95% of the time I will be under the max lift capacity so that isn't a huge issue. I'm more worried about maneuverability and functionality vs. being able to see the forks (I see a lot of people saying they prefer the 42" because otherwise they can't see the tips).

Of course I will also use them for pallets, but more for boulders (i.e. building retaining walls) and trees (moving them around and planting).

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Should have mentioned, planning on buying the Artillian forks. A grapple and some of the other attachments are also in my future. Once I get the grapple that would likely be used for moving/placing boulders instead but I'm still a little ways off on that.

#2 · (Edited)
I have 42” forks. I built myself. See sig below if you wanna know more.

I haven’t one time thought I needed 36”.
Except for knowing 36” are slightly lighter and shorter which helps with power. I don’t know the actual difference but you should lose a good bit of pickup power at the very tip of the forks.
My little 1025 is pretty strong. But I seen a big difference when I changed from the loader bucket to the forks.
I’ve moved some big logs. I had trouble getting them up. But if I could dig under them with the forks and roll the fronts up after the log I could lift them pretty good.

I have a 1025 also. Not sure the power rating between my tractor and yours. In your case you are saying you won’t exceed your loader really anyway.

So I’d go with 42” in your case. Like you mentioned I believe the 42” will better suite you for being able to see the ends of the forks good to pick up and set down plants and boulders

Attachments

#3 ·
You can always just position the load closer to the frame with 42" forks so you end up with the same capabilities. I don't see how 36" would be better in any way unless you operate indoors in tight quarters a lot. 42" just gives you more flexibility.

I know you said you're looking at the Artillian stuff but there are a lot more economical options out there.

Rob

Reactions: PJR832
#4 ·
I am going to agree with this, if I did it over again I would buy the 42' tines, and I too believe there are more economical choices as long as all you want/need are forks.

Reactions: Robnik
#6 ·
2 and 3 series, 42" hands down. 1 series can use 36" or 42" ones, and 4 series and larger should use 48" ones.

All my opinions of course :thumbup1gif:

#7 ·
Kenny nailed it. However, with my 4066R and 48 inch forks, I admit I have sometimes wished for longer forks.

Dave

#8 ·
And just to confirm for you, the forks do work great for moving and planting root-ball trees.

Rob

#9 ·
Speaking of maneuverability, what are you planning to use for rear ballast while you work with the forks? How far out to the rear will it extend?
:unknown:

#10 ·
The shorter forks will be a little better if you are doing mostly landscaping work and they are noticeable if working in tight areas. If you are looking to haul around lots of log piles, the 42" will give you a little more capacity, a minimal amount. The tips of 42" are awfully far out for any kind of leverage.

For planting trees, I'd recommend getting the Front Hoe Bucket.

#11 · (Edited)
Having a 2032R (Gen1) and owning both the 36” and 42” forks-I’d say unless you are working a lot in tight quarters where the turning radius and maneuverability is your primary concern definitely get the 42” set of 3” Artillians.

I started out with an Artillian 3k frame with some full 4” x42” cascade forks rated for something like 5-6K lbs, because they were what I got locally cheap. While the length was sometimes an issue maneuvering in my barn with a pallet, that was greatly outweighed by their usefulness loading brush, logs, pallets, trees/shrubs, you name it I did it. My only issue was they weighed in at over 100lbs each and I grew very tired of constantly removing and reinstalling them to use my grapple... I had a 2300lb Artillian frame with 36” x3” tines fall in my lap and at about the same time I build my FIL a frame for the HD forks to use on his 4610 so i gifted them to him to use with the frame and I have happily been using the 36”’s ever since. They are a bit more tricky to maneuver into a pallet, etc. as the tips can be more tricky to see without looking down the side of the tractor but they are just as useful overall especially since I have a separate frame for them and don’t have to swap them for my grapple anymore!

#12 ·
I have the 36" Artillian forks on my Gen 1 2032R and I prefer the shorter forks for popping boulders out of the ground and building stone walls. I have no issues seeing the tips when I need to. Personally, I'd love a set of 32" forks. I do a lot of running around in the woods and I've stabbed a few trees trying to navigate between them. :laugh:

Reactions: Tomfive and C-Range
#14 ·
Jim, you could always take an old longer set of forks and torch or plasma cut them down a stubby length of your choice. The hard part is finding some that aren't 4 or 5"wide, weighing a ton. And it's funny, people on Craigslist seem to think their old worn out forks are worth as much as Artillian sells a pair of 36x3" brand new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.