• 2 Post By BigBlue
  • 4 Post By ndrmyr

Thread: Massey Tiller Worth

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:45 PM
    Thanks

Massey Tiller Worth

Local seller has this listed, what do you think would be a fair price?

I will use it behind my 1025R. Anyone have experience with this tiller?

The pins are gone, likely need a new shaft. Don't know if clutch or what.

Best guess on value?

Meanwhile is a 30'Grady White Marlin.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    $100-$300 tops on the tiller

You'll need to buy a PTO shaft w/ slip clutch for roughly $150. By the time you buy pins and do maintenance you may or may not have a nice tiller.

Personally, I would pass on it and go buy a new one. I went down that path, saved a little money but in the end sold it, let it be someone else's headache.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk
    Last edited by buckteeth445; 08-14-2018 at 04:16 AM.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    I agree, I wouldn't give much at all, you have a fair amount of work and money to put into it and even then you have no way of knowing if it is in working condition. Maybe $100 if nothing else just to make a nice side project to work on.
    OxPath and Oscar Leroy like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input. She wanted $300, I offered $150. She has others that are "interested."

I'm up for a good buy, not just any buy. She changed her listing price to $300 after my message, downfrom $800.

I'll have to do some research for parts now that I can see the model number. She added this photo.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:14 AM
    Thanks
    I'd think the $300 amount wouldn't be too far out of line. There isn't really a lot that can go wrong with these tillers. It either has gears or chain & sprockets that might need attention, but you should be able to get a good idea on those before buying. You already know you need a PTO shaft, which will be the big expense. If the tines aren't bent up or totally shot then the only other real issue would be the bearings on the end of the main auger. You could probably tip it on end and manually rotate the tines to check that. So, compared to a $1400-1600 new one then $300 level isn't awful.

Rob
    PJR832 and firemachine69 like this.
    2016 x758 w/60" HC mower, 54" snowblower, MC519 bagger
    2010 2520 w/61" H130 loader, TA 42" forks, KK 60" Pro tiller, iMatch quick hitch, KK middle buster
    1996 345 - Traded
    Other toys: Stihl BR600 backpack blower; McCulloch chainsaws: 10-10S, 700, 805, 10-10; JD trimmer

2520:__________________________x758:__________________________Faithful 345:___________________

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I read online these were used with Massey garden tractors. I have not found a source to insure my 1025R PTO speed of 540 will work on this.

Anyone know? I'm concerned how the thing is geared.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    07-11-2019 @ 06:46 AM
    Thanks
    I'm an auction-goer and have been for many years. Over the years, I've seen many tillers and other implements sell. Tillers are very popular, and, becoming more so, as the popularity of compact tractors continues to increase. It seems, on average, I see well used and abused sell for more than I would pay, or clean units sell for new price. Having watched friends buy equipment with gearboxes having to rebuild once they got home (i.e. post hole diggers and the like), I would not buy anything without checking the state of the oil in the gearbox. Seals can leak, and a dry box means a lot of work or worse. I was fortunate this summer and bought a used once King Kutter for $813 out the door. My brother in law who had purchased a older tiller from a neighbor, cracked his gear box, and has Chinese cast iron tines that shatter when the hit a rock. He stopped bidding at an auction two weeks after I bought mine for another KK for $750 and it sold for $800. Also lightly used. I would have popped it at least once more, but....that's me.
    While I love a bargain, I also don't need any more projects, and buying something that needs a lot, before I can use it, there has to be substantial savings as an incentive.

Personally, I would be closer to the $150 than the $300. For me to be at a higher price, I would do the following:

1) Check the gear case oil level and look for milkiness or water.
    2) Flip the tiller over and rotate the PTO shaft and try to come up the with rotation of the tines per revolution of the shaft. That will give you a number you can compare to, to help make sure it is a standard PTO speed.
    3) It appears that these were made to fit a number of garden tractors including MF, Simplicity and Snapper. I question that they are standard PTO. Much like the tillers that fit the John Deere 400 series lawn tractors. I would approach with caution.

Good luck. Remember, and don't ask me how I know this. You usually only save on one end of a transaction.

ie. A low price means repairs, time, effort and dollars on the back side, while a higher price up front may give you something you can go use immediately without any cost on the back side. Pick which one means more sense.

Good luck.
    Last edited by ndrmyr; 08-15-2018 at 08:54 AM.
    Jim
    USMC 73-77
    1026R, H120 Loader, 53" Bucket, 60" 7 Iron Auto-Connect MMM, Artillian Forks, Artillian Front Hoe, King Kutter 48" Tiller

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ndrmyr For This Useful Post:

rakane (08-15-2018)

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Ndrmyr

You speak with wisdom.

I've decided to pass. There will be other chances.

From what I found online I think this is a 2000 rpm tiller. I had no clue they built such a thing. I found that number reference in a number of posts so it must be a good number, after all, I found it on the interweb. (Smartass guy leaving).

Meanwhile is a 30' Grady White.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements