Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Deck mounted weed whackers.

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:30 AM
    Thanks

Deck mounted weed whackers.

Our tumbleweeds are getting out of hand where the mower deck can't reach them. I have back problems that make running the evil gas powered weed whacker a real uncomfortable nuisance for me on a good day, and one day I expect the HOASS to send me a snottygram about the weeds. I'm trying to find someone reliable to take care of them in the meantime.

However; I've been thinking about deck mounted weed whackers that I could mow and trim at the same time. I found two ready made ones. Does anyone have any experience with these things? Pros & cons whether you've used one or not.

Z-Trimmer.
    https://www.lawnvac.com/z-trimmer

DMT Trimmer

http://www.palmowingsystem.com/

Now for a bonus video of some Bubba's homemade one. Safety First!

https://youtu.be/v_46bR1aeo8
    I have more ideas than ambition.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mjncad For This Useful Post:

etcallhome (08-14-2018), Jet Dr. (08-17-2018)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Interesting-- I did not know these existed.

Thanks for sharing

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    For those that mow with a tractor with a 3 pt hitch, you could run a DR pto trimmer off the back and mower deck in the middle?
    etcallhome and Robnik like this.
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 06:30 AM
    Thanks
    What kind of mower are you running? MMM on your tractor or ZTR?

Our local cemetery just got one for their Ferris ZTR. They've been using it most of this season. I can find out from them what the model is and how they like it if you'd like me to.
    mjncad, etcallhome and Robnik like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

mjncad (08-15-2018)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:09 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,488 Times in 1,397 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mjncad View Post
    Our tumbleweeds are getting out of hand where the mower deck can't reach them. I have back problems that make running the evil gas powered weed whacker a real uncomfortable nuisance for me on a good day, and one day I expect the HOASS to send me a snottygram about the weeds. I'm trying to find someone reliable to take care of them in the meantime.

However; I've been thinking about deck mounted weed whackers that I could mow and trim at the same time. I found two ready made ones. Does anyone have any experience with these things? Pros & cons whether you've used one or not.

Z-Trimmer.
    https://www.lawnvac.com/z-trimmer

DMT Trimmer

PAL Mowing System

Now for a bonus video of some Bubba's homemade one. Safety First!

https://youtu.be/v_46bR1aeo8
    Looks like the first deck mounted trimmer must be 12 volt powered? I didn't check out the others.....

What about mounting a wheel or a pair of caster wheels, large enough to roll across the ground and turf, but not too large to be too heavy, to one or both sides of your existing string trimmer or a "debris trimmer" lower shaft?

A simple "half of an H" bracket secured to the trimmer shaft with a wheel at the base would allow you to push the trimmer around to where it's needed so you don't have to carry it or support the entire weight of the trimmer.

I made the mistake of buying a "curved shaft" weed trimmer and that thing was horrible to use. Perhaps in theory it sounded good, but it required me to "stoop over" just a bit and within a minute or two, it really started to aggravate the lower back........Plus it seemed like the curved shaft made the operator support more of the drive unit weight, not less like the straight shaft trimmers......

Just like this sidewalk edger has a wheel to support it's weight and control it's blade engagement, this was the thought for the tumbleweed trimmer......

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EGO-8-in...FYvEwAodeRMKhg
    mjncad, etcallhome and Robnik like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

10. The Following User Says Thank You to SulleyBear For This Useful Post:

mjncad (08-15-2018)

11. Top | #6
    Last Online
    09-13-2019 @ 09:59 AM
    Thanks
    On the homemade one from YouTube, is it really wise to mow barefooted? Anyone here do that? Seems to me like too much that could go wrong with that...
    mjncad, etcallhome, fdmars and 7 others like this.

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:05 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 994 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    Looks like the first deck mounted trimmer must be 12 volt powered? I didn't check out the others.....

What about mounting a wheel or a pair of caster wheels, large enough to roll across the ground and turf, but not too large to be too heavy, to one or both sides of your existing string trimmer or a "debris trimmer" lower shaft?

A simple "half of an H" bracket secured to the trimmer shaft with a wheel at the base would allow you to push the trimmer around to where it's needed so you don't have to carry it or support the entire weight of the trimmer.

I made the mistake of buying a "curved shaft" weed trimmer and that thing was horrible to use. Perhaps in theory it sounded good, but it required me to "stoop over" just a bit and within a minute or two, it really started to aggravate the lower back........Plus it seemed like the curved shaft made the operator support more of the drive unit weight, not less like the straight shaft trimmers......

Just like this sidewalk edger has a wheel to support it's weight and control it's blade engagement, this was the thought for the tumbleweed trimmer......
    My lower back aches just looking at the string trimmer!

When things get out of hand and I have to make the rounds I use the trimmer attachment on my Stihl Yard Boss. Although not as maneuverable as a handheld trimmer it does allow me to get the job done without having to deal with the subsequent back pain.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yard Boss Trimmer.png 
Views:	354 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	643222

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/mu...s-attachments/
    mjncad, etcallhome, fdmars and 6 others like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Superglidesport For This Useful Post:

mjncad (08-15-2018)

14. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    I quit using a weed whacker. I use a mix of Crossbow & KillzAll anywhere my mower can't get too.
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

15. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    I quit using a weed whacker. I use a mix of Crossbow & KillzAll anywhere my mower can't get too.

Great idea, unfortunately around here that'll land you a $10k fine. That's not a typo.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

16. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Boonie View Post
    Quite a few people do this.
    Years ago I thought it was just an unnecessary thing people did to avoid trimming. The longer Ive done this, including my own mowing business for 5 years some time back, I realized that it is an excellent solution, once its been done for a while.
    What I mean is that along a fence row for example, directly under the fence is dirt only. Nothing growing. Nothing to trim. Very defined lines.
    One guy I mowed for had this around everything. His fence, sidewalks, driveway, landscape beds, etc. If kept up with Roundup, it always looked nice. The good thing about it is that you dont have any worries about grass or weeds creeping their way into your landscaping or growing over your walks.
    It something I plan to do myself now that I have need of it.
    But, you still have to go out and spray, and sometimes thats more bending over than trimming.

I dont mind the trimmer as much as some, but Ill say too that if Im going to be using it for long periods, I use the shoulder strap. Keeps the stress off the back.
    Mine is a straight shaft Deere XT120, its older, and I cant say why, but it still starts on the first pull after sitting all Winter, and Ive never replaced a fuel line. Maybe its the Opti-2 Ive used since it was new. Anyway, if I had a lot of areas over a big property that needed trimming, near where I was mowing, Id be all over one of these. Probably the belt driven version, as the 30 amp pull of the electric would worry me about battery drain. Most engines only have a 20-30 amp charging system on zero turns, and the PTO clutch is going to take at least 15, so you are always draining the battery running it. If its just used a couple times while mowing, no big deal, but if you have long rows to trim, and its running a good bit, its going to take its toll Id think.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

17. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

mjncad (08-15-2018)

18. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast