Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: 47 vs 54" (front mounted) blower

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks

47 vs 54" (front mounted) blower

I'm a newbie tractor (and 1025r) owner. I've been pouring over this site for a while now, most recently gathering intel to get ready for winter. We live in North NJ suburbia about 30 miles west of Manhattan, and most who actually take care of their own driveways use a walk behind of varying sizes. Some peeps (such as my Pop) continue to say: no need for a plow or blower, just use the FEL - and while appealing from a cost perspective, my asphalt driveway isn't in the best shape, and I'm concerned my limited skills will do more damage than its worth this winter. I'm pretty dead-set against buying a front (either quick hitch or loader mounted) plow - I've never used a plow before and frankly, I think I'd be better off saving that cake and just using the FEL. That leaves me with looking into the blowers (I was actually going to buy one last month with the 1025, but the dealer couldn't get one until September and there was no way I wanted to wait on the entire package until then). My salesman tells me: the wider track of the 54 will cover the 49" wheel width and for the minimal cost difference definitely go with the larger. Frankly, with my size property (half acre), I think I'd prefer the smaller. After searching quite a bit I can't seem to find a lot of differences noted for the two front blowers JD offers. I ask you fine gents a couple of questions:

is there no feature or functional difference between the two blowers other than width?
    the only real difference I've found is the 47" seems to be an older model and have a steel impeller where the 54 has a plastic one. Any one verify that with the 2018 models?
    I've read the Deere blowers aren't great with lighter accumulations, is it that they aren't great - or they simply won't work without at least 3" of snow?
    Will I really *need* a rear blade to tackle those light snows or can i just push it around enough with the front blower until there is enough snow in the box for the auger to pick up?
    Anyone have a recommendation on a decent rear blade with a poly or rubber cutting edge?

I need to keep the driveway very clean as my 73yr old MiL walks up and down in the afternoons to get young-ins from the bus stop - can't afford any ice build up where she might get hurt. At the same time I'm *really* looking forward to selling my impeccably clean walk behind craftsman that has served me very well the last 8 winters and getting more seat time on my new big boy toy !
    stg454 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    09-19-2019 @ 01:43 PM
    Thanks
    and to add -> I work in IT behind a desk all day. I've just completed reading / skimming this ENTIRE thread and can't wait for this winter's playground. I'm originally from western NY:

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-year-156.html

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:41 PM
    Thanks
    To my knowledge, the size is the only difference. I thought both went to plastic impellers, but could be mistaken.
    I have a 54 on my 2320, with plastic impeller.
    A dusting it won't pick up, easier/faster/better to just shovel. An inch it will work. For light snows I use it kinda like a blade to push a pile at then end, then actually blow the pile into the ditch. YMMV.
    I'm a fan of bigger is better, these tractors are hydro, so easy enough to keep it within the power limits of the tractor regardless of snow depth.
    Can you bog it down/kill it, yep. But you have to try.
    2010 2320 with 200cx FEL
    54D MMM
    54" front mount blower
    Titan 42" forks w/ receiver hitch
    County Line 5' tiller
    6' JD rear blade (tree find)

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 01:03 PM
    Thanks
    The 54” blower works well with my 1026r. I think the smaller blower would be fine for smaller driveways. I have my blower setup to leave 3/4” as not to pick up stones as most of my driveway isn’t paved. I don’t use the blower for less than 2” of snow. I have a plow for my atv that I use for light snowfalls. The atv works ok up to about 4”.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:15 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,610 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by akneppar View Post
    I ask you fine gents a couple of questions:

is there no feature or functional difference between the two blowers other than width?
    Correct. They both pretty much use the same components with the 54" having a longer housing and longer auger.

the only real difference I've found is the 47" seems to be an older model and have a steel impeller where the 54 has a plastic one. Any one verify that with the 2018 models?
    At one time that was true. However, both versions now have the plastic err.. umm... poly impeller.

I've read the Deere blowers aren't great with lighter accumulations, is it that they aren't great - or they simply won't work without at least 3" of snow?
    Will I really *need* a rear blade to tackle those light snows or can i just push it around enough with the front blower until there is enough snow in the box for the auger to pick up?
    No snow blower is great with light accumulations. Although if you have a paved driveway and raise the shoes so the scraper bar touches the ground you can clear even an inch of snow down to bare pavement. The trick to clearing small snow falls is to go a bit faster. I still prefer a blade for the light stuff.

Anyone have a recommendation on a decent rear blade with a poly or rubber cutting edge?
    There are a lot of decent blades out there. JD's Frontier brand is good as is Woods, Land Pride, Bush Hog, etc. You won't find many that come with a poly or rubber cutting edge from the factory but it is very easy to bolt-on a rubber or poly strip using the holes that secure the steel cutting edge. Most blades also have an option to add skid feet.

I need to keep the driveway very clean as my 73yr old MiL walks up and down in the afternoons to get young-ins from the bus stop - can't afford any ice build up where she might get hurt. At the same time I'm *really* looking forward to selling my impeccably clean walk behind craftsman that has served me very well the last 8 winters and getting more seat time on my new big boy toy !
    IMHO the best setup is a snow blower on the front and a rear blade on the back. That gives you the ability to clear anything without swapping implements. Some folks prefer a plow up front and a blower on the back and they works too (and may be a tad less expensive).
    North585, akneppar and Auguste like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

akneppar (08-17-2018)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    08-17-2019 @ 04:50 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by akneppar View Post
    and to add -> I've just completed reading / skimming this ENTIRE thread and can't wait for this winter's playground.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/for...-year-156.html
    No offense, but I sure as hell can.
    Sergeant, tj1 and nastorino like this.

~Brian~

1998 425/54 Deck/650 hours | 1998 455/60 Deck/54 Blade/1300 hours | 2003 GX345 48 Deck/47 Blade/Electric Pivot/900 hours (sold)

Yes I have an addiction and no I don't want help

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 AM
    Thanks

Finally

It took several years to get there BUT this works front mounted snow blower mounted to loader frame hydraulic driven by a PTO pump rear blade angled with hydraulic cylinder heated cab very easy to blow windrow on next pass will a supervisor please turn first image over

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	whole rig.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.40 MB 
ID:	643592Click image for larger version. 

Name:	windrow.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	2.30 MB 
ID:	643594

11. The Following User Says Thank You to GUS FINK For This Useful Post:

akneppar (08-17-2018)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Thanks
    I prefer a snowblower that is 10 to 12 inches wider than the outside width of my tractor's tires as it is easier to make sharper turns while blowing snow without the tires getting into the snow and getting stuck

I have the 54" snowblower on order which I know is not 12 inches wider than my 1025r but a 60 inch snowblower was too much more money and weight for my budget
    Last edited by Auguste; 08-17-2018 at 06:04 AM.
    akneppar likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Auguste For This Useful Post:

akneppar (08-17-2018)

14. Top | #9

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:31 AM
    Thanks
    A rubber blade on a small front mounted blade works well for the light dusting of snow!
    akneppar likes this.
    Auguste . . . a blue collar guy working in a white collar world
    Rexton, New Brunswick, Canada

JD Tractor aka Bucky
    2018 1025r ~ New in April 2018

Accessories ~ Front End Loader ~ Backhoe ~ Mid-Mounter Mower ~ Box Blade ~ Fork Lift ~
    Roto Tiller ~ Chipper ~ Mulch Kit ~ Sub-soil Conditioner ~ Ballast Box ~ Plug Aerator ~
    Thatcherator ~ iMatch Quick Hitch ~ Landscape rake

Modifications Completed by Me ~ LED lights on roll bar ~ Mirrors ~ Shortened Rollbar to fit in Garage

15. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:03 PM
    Thanks
    Don't forget there is also the Radtech S1Sb-54 front mount blower. A little heavier duty blower from what I have been able to discern.
    Thread about it here;
    New 1025r with S1SB-54 front mount snow blower
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2018-08-17 at 6.46.20 AM.png  
    akneppar and stg454 like this.
    Glen

Current Fleet

2017 - JD 1025R w/260B backhoe
    2018 - JD 1025R w/Mauser Cab

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Busman For This Useful Post:

akneppar (08-17-2018)

17. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast