TSC 3 Point Hitch Log Splitter
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: TSC 3 Point Hitch Log Splitter

  1. Top | #1
    WifeSaidOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    895
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 90 Times in 71 Posts

    TSC 3 Point Hitch Log Splitter

    Posted about this in the SCUT thread, figured it would be good to start a new thread.

    I have a bunch of logs that have been waiting to be split, some for a few years, so are from this year. I have rented a splitter in the past, but don't want to spend $100 to rent one for a day. That means I have to rush to get the job done, and I have way more than just one days worth of logs to split. I have been doing a little research for a splitter for a 3 point hitch. The biggest negative I have seen is that it is going to be slow. And that's OK. Why rush? I am just splitting logs for campfires, etc.
    Anyway, stopped in at Tractor Supply on Saturday. They had one sitting outside that looked good to me. It was priced at $649, marked down from $799. Went inside to ask if the $649 price was still accurate, the cashier said nope. Bummer. Then the cashier said that it was actually $449. !! So I brought it home along with a couple 5 ft hydraulic hoses and fittings. Total price out the door was $550, for everything.
    Keep in mind, that I barely know how to use my 3 point hitch, and my knowledge of hydraulics is severely lacking. But I had the thing unloaded and hooked up, ready to work in under 2 hours. And that 2 hours included a second trip to TSC for a couple adapters. It helped that it was a floor model that was already assembled (it was missing a couple things, like the 2 bottom hitch pins).
    Note that in this pic, the hoses are not yet attached.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AE2F8D79-6C77-4532-BA78-D2B2D5D3EAE5.jpeg 
Views:	33 
Size:	3.37 MB 
ID:	644094
    I spent 2 hours yesterday splitting some logs. It is certainly not quick, but it works great. Like I said above, I don't need it to be fast. Just need it to split.
    This is a pic of the spec sheet. It’s the only “paperwork” it came with. Had to download the owners manual.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8046908C-7EF2-4183-A28C-72A1A7344336.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	644092
    fdmars, Bubber, rtgt and 10 others like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:57 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,606
    Thanks
    94
    Thanked 869 Times in 664 Posts
    That's a score. I think that particular model is discontinued and that would explain the pricing. The model they carry now mounts so that it extends straight out the back of the tractor instead of sideways as your's is. If my TSC had one I'd grab it too!
    WifeSaidOK, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  4. Top | #3
    Wyobuckaroo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 02:40 PM
    Location
    BC Bush, Canada
    Posts
    327
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 25 Times in 24 Posts
    Nice score for the price.....

    However.. I have seen people not happy with that kind of splitter. Mostly because of cycle times. Like the instruction sheet says, cycle time....depends on tractor. Meaning the gallon per minute the hydro pump will have available to run accessories is the thing that results in the cycle time of the splitter.

    You can look up what gallon per minute gives a 10-15 second cycle time for a given cylinder size. In the tractor owners manual if it says you only have, for instance, 1/3 that gallon per minute available with the motor running at PTO speed, you will have a longer cylinder cycle time.

    I've read where people convert this system to a PTO driven pump with an oil tank. To do this work backwards.. Find the gallon per minute the cylinder requires, find the PTO driven pump that will deliver that volume, the pump will give a PTO horse power requirement to do that pump gallons per minute. If your tractor has the PTO horse power to run the pump you are good to go.

    It is all an exercise in finding the info and doing the math to find the pieces you will need to make it work.
    rtgt, mark02tj and Oscar Leroy like this.
    Keep your stick on the ice... Red Green

    The further north you go, the more things that can and want to eat your horse and you. Grandpa Gilbert.

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    WifeSaidOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    895
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 90 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyobuckaroo View Post
    Nice score for the price.....

    However.. I have seen people not happy with that kind of splitter. Mostly because of cycle times. Like the instruction sheet says, cycle time....depends on tractor. Meaning the gallon per minute the hydro pump will have available to run accessories is the thing that results in the cycle time of the splitter.

    You can look up what gallon per minute gives a 10-15 second cycle time for a given cylinder size. In the tractor owners manual if it says you only have, for instance, 1/3 that gallon per minute available with the motor running at PTO speed, you will have a longer cylinder cycle time.

    I've read where people convert this system to a PTO driven pump with an oil tank. To do this work backwards.. Find the gallon per minute the cylinder requires, find the PTO driven pump that will deliver that volume, the pump will give a PTO horse power requirement to do that pump gallons per minute. If your tractor has the PTO horse power to run the pump you are good to go.

    It is all an exercise in finding the info and doing the math to find the pieces you will need to make it work.
    Yup understand completely. Like I said in my original post, it is not speedy. I realize that my 1025r is a bit undersized for this type of tool. But it works perfect for me. There will almost always be 2 of us working at the same time, chatting, sipping a beer. No rush at all. The wood won't be going anywhere.
    rtgt, Jeff B, Oscar Leroy and 1 others like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

  7. Top | #5
    Fade2Blk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Location
    Lapeer, Michigan
    Posts
    134
    Thanks
    39
    Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Definitely a nice score! I’d like to see a short clip of that splitter in action.

    John Deere 3038E
    300E Loader / 61” Bucket
    BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    FRONTIER Grooming Mower GM3060
    Titan Attachments CAT 1 Ballast Box
    Land Pride Back Blade 7’
    CountyLine Box Blade 6’
    CountyLine York Rake 6’

  8. Top | #6
    WifeSaidOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    895
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 90 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fade2Blk View Post
    Definitely a nice score! I’d like to see a short clip of that splitter in action.
    I’ll try to remember to get a video next time I use it
    IndianaJim likes this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

  9. Top | #7
    IndianaJim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:59 PM
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,448
    Thanks
    24
    Thanked 198 Times in 151 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    Yup understand completely. Like I said in my original post, it is not speedy. I realize that my 1025r is a bit undersized for this type of tool. But it works perfect for me. There will almost always be 2 of us working at the same time, chatting, sipping a beer. No rush at all. The wood won't be going anywhere.
    The older and wiser I get, the more I like NOT having an extra engine to take care of. Slow isnt always a bad thing. I dont sell wood, so splitting when I want, at a slow pace, doesnt bother me in the least. It sure beats slinging a sledge or maul around.
    Definitely interested if you can get a video. Might just put this on my wish list instead of an engine powered splitter!
    Oscar Leroy likes this.
    Jim B.

    318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

    Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

    WifeSaidOK (08-26-2018)

  11. Top | #8
    WifeSaidOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    895
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 90 Times in 71 Posts

    Update, and question

    So we have used the splitter a bit, and it works great. I have no complaints at all.

    In my OP, I noted that this had been sitting outside at TSC for some time. The base/stand has some scratches and gouges that started to rust a little bit. I sanded them down, and now I need to paint it. I’m just going to paint the whole thing, won’t take more than 2 cans of spray paint.

    So, what color would you paint it?
    Black? OR Deere green?
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

  12. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:06 PM
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WifeSaidOK View Post
    So we have used the splitter a bit, and it works great. I have no complaints at all.

    In my OP, I noted that this had been sitting outside at TSC for some time. The base/stand has some scratches and gouges that started to rust a little bit. I sanded them down, and now I need to paint it. I’m just going to paint the whole thing, won’t take more than 2 cans of spray paint.

    So, what color would you paint it?
    Black? OR Deere green?
    Obviously John Deere green, that will instantly double it's value!
    1025R TLB
    42" Artillian pallet forks
    6 ft Steel Express snow pusher
    2048L Box blade
    OTC cab
    54" JD snow blower
    RB2072 Rear blade
    Pat's Easy Change 3 pt hooks
    Agri-ease rear quick hitch
    Woodland Mills WC46 wood chipper

  13. Top | #10
    WifeSaidOK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:31 PM
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    895
    Thanks
    44
    Thanked 90 Times in 71 Posts
    Ended up going with JD green. 2 coats and it looks pretty good. Will post a pic later
    Oscar Leroy and Catfishin like this.
    2016 1025R TLB (Marshawn) with Piranha tooth bar
    HLA 42" Forks
    Frontier LR2060L Landscape rake
    2019 X370 mowing machine with snowblower attachment
    County Line 3 point log splitter (Mr. Splitty)
    Cyclone Rake super sucker
    Stihl MS-271 chain saw
    Stihl KM-56 Kombi powerhead, string trimmer, pole saw, articulating hedge trimmer
    Stihl BR430 backpack blower
    1998 Yamaha 4-stroke golf car (Tedy Bruschi)

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •