3-Point Hitch, Sway Chains. How much variance in sway?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: 3-Point Hitch, Sway Chains. How much variance in sway?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks

3-Point Hitch, Sway Chains. How much variance in sway?

I just rebuilt (beefed up) my sway chains on my hitch. That got me to thinking (I know, Google it.) How tight, or loose should the chains be?
    Currently (thinking anti-sway bar and towing travel trailers) I have the chains set to about 1/2" to 3/4" inch of side-to-side.
    I figured the less the implement moves, the less stress there is everywhere else on the frame as a whole.

Class is in. I need educated.

Thanks
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 08:11 PM
    Thanks
    It probably depends on whether or not you are using a QuckHitch (like the iMatch). I have my iMatch on all the time and tightened up so that I only have about 1/2: of sway. If I wasn't using the iMatch there might be times when I'd want a little more slop in the system to make it easier to connect implements.

When I first got my machine it had about 1.5" of slop in the sway setup and I found it unnerving when the ballast box would shift from side to side and the whole machine would lurch with it. I kept thinking I was running over something.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

Boonie (08-24-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    It probably depends on whether or not you are using a QuckHitch (like the iMatch). I have my iMatch on all the time and tightened up so that I only have about 1/2: of sway. If I wasn't using the iMatch there might be times when I'd want a little more slop in the system to make it easier to connect implements.

When I first got my machine it had about 1.5" of slop in the sway setup and I found it unnerving when the ballast box would shift from side to side and the whole machine would lurch with it. I kept thinking I was running over something.
    What he said
    PJR832 and kylew like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,668 Times in 1,263 Posts
    For most implements you want the chains as tight as you can get them without causing any binding in the hitch when it raises and lowers. The last thing you want is a heavy implement floppy side to side and slamming the chains. This usually means that when changing implements you have to first loosen the chains, swap implements and then re-tighten as necessary.

Just another reason why a Quick Hitch is so convenient as you never have to readjust your sway chains.
    BigJim55, Ray_PA, JimR and 2 others like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post

I do have the iMatch. I never thought about factoring this into the equation. Currently (as mentioned in my OP) I have the chains about 1/2"-3/4" as you suggest. To me it just made the most sense.
    As for not having the iMatch in place with odd implements, mental note taken.

Thank You, JimR
    BigJim55, JimR and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    For most implements you want the chains as tight as you can get them without causing any binding in the hitch when it raises and lowers. The last thing you want is a heavy implement floppy side to side and slamming the chains. This usually means that when changing implements you have to first loosen the chains, swap implements and then re-tighten as necessary.

Just another reason why a Quick Hitch is so convenient as you never have to readjust your sway chains.
    Some say, ignorance is bliss. I won't claim the 5th, because honestly, I didn't have the sense enough to ask. And this was prior to having the iMatch.
    I had piles of rock to move. Once I found a LS rake I hooked that hummer up and went to town. I was backing up to the piles, grabbing rock..using the rake. The tractor was canted. When I dropped the tines into the pile, it grabbed a large amount of materials. It was going well...dragging to where I needed. Then I must have gotten cocky. Grabbed to much. That cant I mentioned, when I grabbed a big fistfull in the tines, it snapped the loop that was welded to the arm. This is why I rebuilt the chains. LOL, OOPS.

Thanks for the input.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Why would one want slack in the chains?

John Deere 3038E
    300E Loader / 61” Bucket
    BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    FRONTIER Grooming Mower GM3060
    Titan Attachments CAT 1 Ballast Box
    Land Pride Back Blade 7’
    CountyLine Box Blade 6’
    CountyLine York Rake 6’

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:10 PM
    Thanks
    You really have to read the operators manuals for each implement. Unfortunately they all require different slack or tightness in the chains, for instance my rotary cutter requires at least a 1/2 inch slack, but my box blade and tiller need to tight.
    jgayman and Firemark like this.
    1975 JD 400
    1978 JD 316
    2018 JD 1025R

12. The Following User Says Thank You to mopeman For This Useful Post:

jgayman (08-25-2018)

13. Top | #9
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    That defeats the purpose of an iMatch....nobody is doing that.

John Deere 3038E
    300E Loader / 61” Bucket
    BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    FRONTIER Grooming Mower GM3060
    Titan Attachments CAT 1 Ballast Box
    Land Pride Back Blade 7’
    CountyLine Box Blade 6’
    CountyLine York Rake 6’

14. Top | #10

Last Online
    Today @ 05:11 PM
    Thanks

Slight slack

Quote Originally Posted by mopeman View Post
    You really have to read the operators manuals for each implement. Unfortunately they all require different slack or tightness in the chains, for instance my rotary cutter requires at least a 1/2 inch slack, but my box blade and tiller need to tight.
    I prefer a slight bit of slack in the chains, not much but just enough to allow an implement to slide over slightly if it bumps something hard. For example, if I'm running the bushhog and want to get close to a tree stump but miss by a half inch, I'd rather the mower be able to slightly move and slide by the stump than be absolutely tight and break a chain or worse.

Too much slack isn't good as others have stated. Having a heavy implement hit the end of the chain after a long sway is hard on everything, including me. It doesn't take much slack to allow an implement to move over an inch or two when needed.

Treefarmer
    johncanfield likes this.
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

15. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast