Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: 72" mid mount mower deck on an 855

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:02 AM
    Thanks

72" mid mount mower deck on an 855

My thirty year old 72" mid mount mower deck under my 855 tractor is starting to become a problem for me to handle. I want something that is a lot easier to push around & mount. I'm thinking about a rea finish mower for easier hook up & maintenance. Also, parts may become an issue now with my mid mount mower since it is ageing out along with me.

Has anyone replaced their decks on the 855. If so what did you replace it with. I've looed at County Line & I don't think they have any quality that will give long term service. Woods decks are looking good as well as King Kutter. I have not looked at Deere rear decks yet due to the poor service of local dealer & the skyrocketing cost of anything painted green & yellow.

Right now my main problem is that I no longer want to struggle with taking a mid mount deck on & off for servicing. Any suggestions. I'm also considering possibly going to a zero turn mower, but I would need an entry level commercial or a high end residential & either way those will really be more costly than a decent rear mount mower deck. Also the 855 tractor has a rear 540 RPM PTO & the tractor is rated at 24 HP so I would need to match the deck to the tractor's ability to drive the gearbox on the mower. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 05:30 PM
    Thanks
    I just got a land pride 60” rear finish mower. Ran it on the tractor today and was very happy.
    Got it on Craigslist for a very good price.
    Do see several 72” mowers out there and of course fall is the time to buy
    2009 JD 2305 w/ Femco folding ROPS,Power Beyond Kit, KBOH, 54"MMM, 47" Snowblower, 200CX Loader w/ BB, Powerhorse 12 ton Logsplitter and King Kutter tool carrier and 17P kart
    2009 Cub Cadet/Yanmar ex3200, Land Pride 60” land plane and 60” finish mower, worksaver posthole digger w/ 9” auger, “The thumb” add on grapple, third function valve and KBOH of course

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:52 PM
    Thanks
    Maddog,

I have the same deck under my 955, and you are right, it can be be a handful to manhandle. However, I was able to put mine on last week in about 15 minutes. Getting it under the tractor was fairly easy. I loop a nylon strap through the mount for the left side idler wheel which was removed, and simply pull it straight across. Granted, I have to walk around from side to side to tweak the alignment in and around the tires, but it gets the job done. The most difficult part is crawling under the rear differential to hook up the driveshaft.

I get where you are coming from though. I have thought about a rear mount finish mower, but the cost of a unit vs the amount of mowing I do with the 955 doesn't make it viable.

I had a friend who had a 72" JD RFM on an older 4 series, newer than the 955. I recall that the units were identical, but the gearbox would be different. The RFM also had a 3PH hookup. Maybe you can modify the MMM gearbox to get the proper speed and rotational direction and 3PH hookup for less than the cost of a new unit.

Good luck

Dave
    Superglidesport and Maddog like this.
    1990 955
    Curtis Cab
    Model 59 2 stage snowblower
    72" mid mount mower
    Model 70A loader with Edge Tamers and Edge Extenders

1990 420 repowered with V Twin Honda
    Cozy Cab
    Model 47 2 stage snowblower
    60" mid mount mower
    3 bag Material Collection System

1939 Oliver Row Crop 70

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe get a dedicated lawn mowing tractor?
    I have more ideas than ambition.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:32 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 72" land pride that I have had since 93 that I pull with my 1020 and it has been a great mower. In the past two years I have replaced the gear box and drive shaft but that's after 23 years. I know land pride was bought by Kobota but I would still recommend them. The big improvement in them has been the rear discharge. My son used it this week for the first time this summer because we have the grapple on the 2038r so we too the MMM of of it and I actually think the 25 year old mower leaves the yard looking better than the new MMM, just my observation.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Town Manager View Post
    Maddog,

I have the same deck under my 955, and you are right, it can be be a handful to manhandle. However, I was able to put mine on last week in about 15 minutes. Getting it under the tractor was fairly easy. I loop a nylon strap through the mount for the left side idler wheel which was removed, and simply pull it straight across. Granted, I have to walk around from side to side to tweak the alignment in and around the tires, but it gets the job done. The most difficult part is crawling under the rear differential to hook up the driveshaft.

I get where you are coming from though. I have thought about a rear mount finish mower, but the cost of a unit vs the amount of mowing I do with the 955 doesn't make it viable.

I had a friend who had a 72" JD RFM on an older 4 series, newer than the 955. I recall that the units were identical, but the gearbox would be different. The RFM also had a 3PH hookup. Maybe you can modify the MMM gearbox to get the proper speed and rotational direction and 3PH hookup for less than the cost of a new unit.

Good luck

Dave
    You have described almost to a T what I do to mount my 72 mower deck. The big PIA is hooking up the mower drive shaft to the PTO. Finding it to become more & more difficult to line up the splines. The rope you use is a good way to get it under the tractor. I tried it, but for me actually pushing it under the tractor instead of pulling it works better. I use my body weight to move the deck. Either way it is a real chore. Thanks!
    Superglidesport likes this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I have a 72" land pride that I have had since 93 that I pull with my 1020 and it has been a great mower. In the past two years I have replaced the gear box and drive shaft but that's after 23 years. I know land pride was bought by Kobota but I would still recommend them. The big improvement in them has been the rear discharge. My son used it this week for the first time this summer because we have the grapple on the 2038r so we too the MMM of of it and I actually think the 25 year old mower leaves the yard looking better than the new MMM, just my observation.
    I think I'm going to take a look at those Landpride rear decks. The sound like a good deal. For me, I have 4.25 acres to mow & it's almost all clear land. I have no problem that it is now Kubota. Heck, Deere puts its name on everything but makes nothing. Like the rest of them, all they do is assemble parts. So who really knows who is actually making what.

I just looked at a zero turn mowers by Deere. They have such a light duty frame & the controls really look cheap. I would have to move up to an entry level commercial model & at that point I'm looking around 8-10,000 bucks for what? Just to cut weeds. Forget about it, as they say.
    mjncad and coaltrain like this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:14 PM
    Thanks
    If you cruise through Craigslist and are not afraid to travel a little bit you can find JD rear finish mowers for your vintage of tractor. The prices on them are really good compared to a brand new finish mower deck. I usually seem them for under $1k when they pop up.

How much land are you trying to mow? I never wanted a ZTR but picked Cub Cadet Tank off my buddy who was moving out of state and it is hard to beat as a mower. For the price of a new rear finish mower deck from JD I am thinking you can get a nice entry level ZTR or real close to it. If you need a high end commercial style unit then be prepared to pay a lot of money.
    Maddog likes this.
    3025e, D160 loader, Artillian Grapple, Forks, Hoe Bucket, Frontier Land Plane, Rotomec PDH300, Redline Systems 54 inch rock bucket, Heavy Hitch
    400 Garden Tractor, 35a Tiller, 54 inch plow, 60 inch deck

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 69project For This Useful Post:

Maddog (09-01-2018)

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    08-20-2019 @ 11:06 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 2720 tractor with both a 72" belly mower and an 84" RFM. The RFM is much easier to get on and off due to the fact that I have a quick hitch on my tractor and my implements are setup for it. The 84" RFM is a rear discharge and uses about the same HP as the 72" belly mower due to I believe not having to shuffle all the cut grass across the deck to the side discharge. Also the deck is deeper so handles tall grass better.

For brands mine is a Farm King/Behuler. The deck is quite thick and the unis has stood up well to the field mowing I do. I would look at what is sold locally and then buy a used unit. For me availability of parts is huge. No sense in buying a unit for cheap if you cann't find blades or parts locally.

I also have a Z918B with a 60" deck. Bottom of the commercial line. Its very fast, a bit under powered when in thick/tall grass, not good on hills(as compared to the 4wd 2720). Expensive to buy. Its robust enough that I use it in the fields as well.

If you weren't field mowing I'd suggest getting a cheaper/residential line Z turn mower but don't think one of those would last in the fields. A 72" RFM is probably your best bet but you'll miss the maneuverability of the belly mower though. Takes a while to get used to the "swing" of a large RFM. Also you should budget to add some front weights to the front of your tractor, I had to add 3 to keep the front wheels on the ground.
    mjncad likes this.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Drifterbike View Post
    I know land pride was bought by Kobota but I would still recommend them.
    When did that happen? It doesn't bother me that Kubota owns Land Pride now; but I'm curious as to when.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast