Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Curtis Cab Heater upgrades?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    09-28-2019 @ 06:17 AM
    Thanks

Curtis Cab Heater upgrades?

Ok, I have had it with the Curtis Cab heating system! The blower just doesn't defrost the windshield or heat the cab.
    Anyone have the same issue or has upgraded to a new heating system? What did you do to achieve nirvana? Today, I ran into a fellow JD owner that has "Upgraded" by modifying the Cab to utilize a "JEGS" Heater 70601. Anyone....Anyone.... Anyone?
    2017 Ford F350, 6.7, DRW, 4x4.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,564 Times in 1,646 Posts
    I have a heater core from a Ventrac and a Original Tractor cab,,no way is it air tight, compared to your Curtis.
    I admit at times my feet get cooled off to being cold but not freezing. I can blow or plow snow all day and feel comfortable. Temps near or around 0°

For the first 30 mins yes, I wear gloves, after that time I can be go the rest of the time without gloves, and unzip my sweatshirt.

Just wondering ,has it always been this way ? I think you posted the other day, you had a leak , can't remember if you had to remove the hoses to fix your leak. I'm wondering if you have a air bubble in your line.

Yes antifreeze will flow throw the heater core but not the full amount , like a blockage.. Loosen one of the hoses after temp gauge rises or you see movement in the radiator . If good flow at one side of heater core then loosen the other side of the heater core. Of course retighten the hose after you have a good flow .See if this helps. !!
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 998 Posts
    Are the feed and return hoses hot? Is the shut-off valve open? Is the system full of coolant? Thermostat bad or too low @ 160*F? From what I've heard the heater should almost roast you out of the cab.
    KE8LW likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseMouse View Post
    Ok, I have had it with the Curtis Cab heating system! The blower just doesn't defrost the windshield or heat the cab.
    Anyone have the same issue or has upgraded to a new heating system? What did you do to achieve nirvana? Today, I ran into a fellow JD owner that has "Upgraded" by modifying the Cab to utilize a "JEGS" Heater 70601. Anyone....Anyone.... Anyone?
    Here's your link to the Jegs universal "hot rod" heater: JEGS Performance Products 70601, JEGS Hot Rod Heaters | JEGS Performance Products
    Last edited by Superglidesport; 02-03-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    sterling40man likes this.
    John Deere 3320
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Both sides of the hoses are red hot. Just no heat coming from the heater itself. A poor amount if any. Just doesn't add up. It has been this way since new from the dealer. leak is fixed. "Tomorrow" I'm going to tear into it....... I'm frozen!
    Last edited by HouseMouse; 02-03-2015 at 04:52 PM.

1026R with block heater and Curtis Cab, iMatch, Ken's Bolt on Hooks combo, 54" Front Mount snow blower, 60" MMM, H-120 FEL, Ballast Box, 100Lbs wheel weights, BB2048, sprayer with 7' boom, Front Mount HeavyHitch, John Deere tow behind spreader, 260 Backhoe With BXPanded Thumbs, Bro-Tek 1.5" Spacers.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Both sides of the hoses are red hot. Just no heat coming from the heater itself. A poor amount if any. Just doesn't add up. It has been this way since new from the dealer. leak is fixed.
    I wonder if it could be air bound? Usually when this is the case both hoses aren't equally hot. Is your fan blowing warm air out of the heater box ducts? Any chance the blower motor is wired wrong? Reverse polarity would cause the blower fan to rotate in the wrong direction. Maybe upgrade to the higher temperature thermostat?
    John Deere 3320
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:50 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,564 Times in 1,646 Posts
    Both sides of the hoses are red hot. Just no heat coming from the heater itself. A poor amount if any. Just doesn't add up. It has been this way since new from the dealer. leak is fixed.
    Both hoses are hot. Still could be a bubble in the hose , no shut off valve before going into heater core or on the other hose. ? Just wondering if heater core is blocked .
    I think I would take the core out of the cab and hook the garden hose or water line to see if good flow of water.
    The core I have is guessing , 4 or 5" W maybe 7" L and 1 1/2-2" thick..
    OH ,,,,what size our the heater hoses. Mine are either 5/8" or 3/4" for some reason it was suppose to only have 1/2" lines . My dealer suggested going to next larger size because of lack of heat.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I don't think the "fan" is blowing out much at all. Gong to check the polarity. Does any one know if it's a two speed fan or just one? I rock my switch and it seems to make no difference at all. Seems to be on Low all the time. Heat is very minimal if at all. Windshield is always frosted over.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 04:00 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,161 Times in 2,315 Posts
    Not to add to the confusion here....but had a similar issue with my big truck (Volvo) and a mechanic not paying attention.....

They changed out the heater core. Went to pick it up (winter time) and didn't get any heat after 10 miles down the road. Turned around and went back. After an hour of him messing around (my mail is late now.....), the supervisor came over, and after watching for 2 mintues had me shut the truck down. He swapped the heater hoses - fired it back up and heat blasted out the vents. Here there is a check valve in the heater core that only allows flow one way - mechanic didn't pay attention and reversed the hoses on installation.

This theory would not be right however if both your hoses are hot. But......you never know. Do you have enough hose length to swap the hoses? When you said it has been like this since coming new I wonder if it isn't something like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Along with the 2-speed fan question... does anyone have a photo of the correct Hose connection routing?

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast