Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Opinions needed on Woods Roatary Cutter

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-02-2019 @ 01:09 AM
    Thanks

Opinions needed on Woods Roatary Cutter

I would like to know if anyone currently owns or has previously owned any Woods cutters. I have been looking around for a new cutter since getting the new 5100E tractor and have discovered that they are expensive. I have been looking at 8' cutters but was given what I think is a great price on a new Woods 10' pull type cutter. I have never owned a Woods product and thought that someone here may have some insight on the products. Any opinions would be appreciated.
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,137 Times in 2,580 Posts
    Woods implements in general are consider very high quality top of the line stuff, they are also the OEM for many of the Frontier implements sold through JD dealers.
    Levi and DeereNC like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    08-27-2018 @ 03:14 PM
    Thanks
    Woods makes really great equipment. My dad has a 7' finishing mower he used to use to mow the road ditches from our house to the blacktop (~300yds) before we got the 997 and it did an excellent job. You would have thought it was done by a lawn mower!
    Levi likes this.
    --DeereNC

2025R, 62D MMM, H130 FEL, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks, Bxpanded Tooth Bar, more to come...
    Implements: Woods TS52 tiller

Stihl MS261C worked over by Mastermind Work Saws, FS45C
    Dolmar PS3410TH
    Redmax EBZ8500RH

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks Kenny and Deere. One of the things I noticed was that the gear boxes had a 6 year warranty and thought that was pretty good.
    Levi likes this.
    2014 John Deere 5100E H240 FEL 6' Rakemaster Root Grapple, 2016 Woods PSS72 food plot seeder, 2013 John Deere XUV 550 S4 2015 Orsi 12' boom mower with flail head, 2016 John Deere 4105 with front end loader, 2016 John Deere MX6, 2018 Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Grapple. 2018 Everything Attachments Severe Extreme Duty 6' Landscape Rake, 2018 John Deere 1025R TLB with 54D quick connect deck [SIZE=2][COLOR="#008000"]

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    04-24-2016 @ 10:59 AM
    Thanks
    Woods has a couple of weights out there also [meaning service duty], so keep that in mind when shopping.
    I own both a rear discharge finish mower and a cutter and am pleased with them. [six footers]

I did have one complaint that Woods, so far, has refused to even answer....
    They are only putting their name on one side of the cutter.
    Frontier & the rest of the planet [if they label a side] label both sides.

If anyone can slap them for me, please do & have them send me a decal for the other side of the RC60 like I asked them for
    Levi likes this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 06:57 PM
    Thanks
    Last I heard, frontier implements use woods mowers, they just paint them green and slap a frontier sticker on them.
    CNGreen likes this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by forestcreature View Post
    Woods has a couple of weights out there also [meaning service duty], so keep that in mind when shopping.
    I own both a rear discharge finish mower and a cutter and am pleased with them. [six footers]

I did have one complaint that Woods, so far, has refused to even answer....
    They are only putting their name on one side of the cutter.
    Frontier & the rest of the planet [if they label a side] label both sides.

If anyone can slap them for me, please do & have them send me a decal for the other side of the RC60 like I asked them for
    Thanks Forest, I did notice the different weights. The one I am looking at is a DS120. They list this as a medium duty cutter. I did not pay attention to the labels not being on but one side but I will ask if this is the case

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    11-14-2019 @ 06:18 AM
    Thanks
    5' woods cutter about 10 years old..light duty has been beat and keeps on ticking. 6' woods BB7200 fairly new...really nice pc of equipment. Woods costs a bit more but well worth it. Look on craigslist for used. Some good deals there.
    Dingeryote, Levi and CNGreen like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 11:23 PM
    Thanks
    We run all Woods impliments, except for one old Kuhn tiller.

I wont pay for anything else, and have run quite a few over the years.
    Anything else is money wasted in the long run IMO.

The Gear boxes are a big selling point, as is the deck and skids.
    If you manage to trash a woods gear box, you have done something noteworthy.
    You might suck up bailing twine and somehow cook a seal, but it takes some serious effort to hurt them any other way.

Our Brushbull chewed up a whole Doe a couple years back, and has been stupidly used to clear 5" Popples more than once.
    It's primary use is mowing and chopping up pruned canes, which is rough on the gearboxes and tends to humble the lesser units after half a dozen seasons.

Evan had a Tornado drop half of a 60' Red Oak on it...while I was under the tractor. When the tree snapped, the underside of the Landini was the only cover nearby, as I was closing up the windows when the wind hit hard. The whole tractor jumped when the tree hit.
    One of the 3/8" leveling straps took a slight bend, and a new pair of shorts was the only damage.

The Medium duty line is more than robust enough for 99.9% of anything, if a guy has some sense.
    The commercial line is slightly more robust, and heavy, and enough so that front weight becomes important for steering on shorter tractors.
    They are worth the extra $$$, and there is a reason Frontier rebadges them with the Deer name.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    12-24-2016 @ 11:23 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by patchnball View Post
    5' woods cutter about 10 years old..light duty has been beat and keeps on ticking. 6' woods BB7200 fairly new...really nice pc of equipment. Woods costs a bit more but well worth it. Look on craigslist for used. Some good deals there.
    Our local Woods Dealer for like 50 years, was Alf Woods. He was as good as gold, and just a fine person all around..but with some rough edges, from being a dirt farmer since he was a tyke, and no patience for airs.

He delivered new Brushbulls to the customer two ways.
    With the larger and heavier choppers, he would come with the low boy trailer, get your tractor mount up the new chopper with new pins, and cut the PTO shaft for full range and no bind, and then bring your tractor back.

The smaller light weight jobs, he would plop on his flat bed, drive to the customers place, remove the chains, back up at about 30mph, and lock the brakes.
    The mower would slide off and land with a hell of a crash.

Folks that didn't know him, would get worked up a little over that.
    His promise of "Bah...you're gonna treat the thing a LOT worse, and if it ever breaks, call me and I'll come get it and fix it, or swap you a new one." shut them up quick. He didn't care what the warranty was, you bought it from him.

I can't remember ever seeing one of those light weight jobs in the shop, for anything but replacing gear box seals, or blades.
    You'll wear that deck to tinfoil before the gearbox gives out.;)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast