Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: 72" MMM Problems

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-17-2019 @ 07:42 AM
    Thanks

72" MMM Problems

Is anyone having problems with their 72" mower? Had about 5hrs on mine and it started making bad noise, find out that the belt is hitting /slapping the guides and deck in the back. Dealer has replaced the tensioner and pulleys, still not fixed. Just want to see if anyone else is having this issue and how it was fixed. thanks

update-the noise is every once in awhile.
    Last edited by RacenJason; 09-06-2018 at 02:23 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RacenJason View Post
    Is anyone having problems with their 72" mower? Had about 5hrs on mine and it started making bad noise, find out that the belt is hitting /slapping the guides and deck in the back. Dealer has replaced the tensioner and pulleys, still not fixed. Just want to see if anyone else is having this issue and how it was fixed. thanks
    I have not had a problem with mine as yet. I have 265 hours on the tractor and a lot of mows and I have not experienced anything like this. Have you looked at the spring tensioner to see how loose or tight it is? I suspect it is loose and resulting in belt slop. Have a look and report back what you find.

Rev 1 - Check the belt for proper routing also. Sometimes people can do amazing things when they put things together and don't actually know what they are doing.
    http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMLVU30964_19/

Sincerely
    Last edited by HomesteadJoe; 09-06-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

4. The Following User Says Thank You to HomesteadJoe For This Useful Post:

RacenJason (09-06-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteadJoe View Post
    I have not had a problem with mine as yet. I have 265 hours on the tractor and a lot of mows and I have not experienced anything like this. Have you looked at the spring tensioner to see how loose or tight it is? I suspect it is loose and resulting in belt slop. Have a look and report back what you find.

Sincerely
    Belt tension seems to be fine. I think the deck itself is flexing because it doesnt do it all the time. My yard is flat but not golfgreen smooth. thanks
    Maddog likes this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Belt tension seems to be fine. I think the deck itself is flexing because it doesnt do it all the time. My yard is flat but not golfgreen smooth. thanks
    The deck doesn't flex except if you hit hard on something, and it would only be momentary, so I doubt deck flex has anything to do with it.

Is your mower deck securely connected at all points? Especially the two rear lift/support points? Rear deck lift locks are engaged properly?

Sincerely
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 09:48 AM
    Thanks
    My 72" MMM is almost thirty years old. Has had only one belt change & one idler pulley bearing change out in all that time.
    I was going to suggest that maybe your deck shell has somehow warped or you have a pulley which is running with a bad bearing or bent shaft allowing the pulley to move up & down from a horizontal steady plane. Don't know if I stated myself clearly here, but your not going to fix this by having a dealer throw parts at it. I would remove all belt covers, etc., And make close observations while running & maybe even taking a video of its operation.
    HomesteadJoe likes this.

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Maddog View Post
    My 72" MMM is almost thirty years old. Has had only one belt change & one idler pulley bearing change out in all that time.
    I was going to suggest that maybe your deck shell has somehow warped or you have a pulley which is running with a bad bearing or bent shaft allowing the pulley to move up & down from a horizontal steady plane. Don't know if I stated myself clearly here, but your not going to fix this by having a dealer throw parts at it. I would remove all belt covers, etc., And make close observations while running & maybe even taking a video of its operation.
    Hey Maddog, thanks. yeah i think the deck is warped or weak. If it isnt fixed this time i will demand a new deck from Deere, there was around 5hrs total on the machine when it started so well within the warranty. I will start screaming lemon law. hahaha

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HomesteadJoe View Post
    The deck doesn't flex except if you hit hard on something, and it would only be momentary, so I doubt deck flex has anything to do with it.

Is your mower deck securely connected at all points? Especially the two rear lift/support points? Rear deck lift locks are engaged properly?

Sincerely
    Hey HomesteadJoe, i am sure the deck does flex some being as wide as it is. and Yes the noise is only momentary. the dealer has had it on and off a few times now so i would hope they got it mounted correctly. thanks

11. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Hey HomesteadJoe, i am sure the deck does flex some being as wide as it is. and Yes the noise is only momentary. the dealer has had it on and off a few times now so i would hope they got it mounted correctly. thanks
    I just did everything I could to try and flex my 72" MMM deck, but I was unable to make it flex in any appreciable/measureable way. This being the case, i can't see how it would flex under normal conditions just hanging under the tractor from its mounts unless the deck strikes something hard while the tractor is in motion, and if that were the case you would know you hit something or scraped the ground or a rock with the deck housing. I think this flex theory is a red herring, a rabbit hole if you will. I find no evidence of appreciable flexing. Of course there is always the possibility that my deck is better than your deck... ;-)

Sincerely
    Big likes this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 07:18 AM
    Thanks
    I had a problem with my 72" MMM when I first got it and thought the deck was flexing as well, however the bolt that holds the auto connect PTO to the carriage assembly was installed backwards and the bolt would contact the PTO on uneven terrain.
    The flex was happening to the auto connect assembly not the deck.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2032r Issue1 Deck flex.JPG  
    2018 2032R 220R Loader 72" MMM
    DR Chipper
    60" CF Powerline Box Blade
    60" Countyline Landscape Rake
    36" Titan Forks with Hay Spear
    60" Horst HLA Loader Mount Snow Plow
    52" Ohio Steel Yard Roller
    Pats Easy Change Quick Hitch

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetLou View Post
    I had a problem with my 72" MMM when I first got it and thought the deck was flexing as well, however the bolt that holds the auto connect PTO to the carriage assembly was installed backwards and the bolt would contact the PTO on uneven terrain.
    The flex was happening to the auto connect assembly not the deck.
    Hey SweetLou, thanks for the info. So was that causing the belt to rub and slap against the back of the deck?? The dealer told me friday they dont know whats wrong so i told them i wanted a new deck. We shall see how this goes.
    BigJim55 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast