Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: More Rototiller Questions

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:44 PM
    Thanks

More Rototiller Questions

Maybe a strange question, is it possible to take a row or two of tines off of 4' tiller to work up narrower sections? I currently have an 18 year old MTD walk behind tiller that's ok but takes a lot of effort to get a so so tilling job done. We have a small garden, not really worth buying a KK or other PTO tiller to mount on my 1025r. We do however like to make 2-3 foot wide separate garden patches for things like raspberries, garlic etc. Don't want the full width but if a row or two of tines are easy to remove I could accomplish both tasks with one tiller.

Thanks,
    Dean

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Just trying to understand, so you would want to take out the center tines so that you can till on either side of a row of garlic? I'd have to go look at my tiller to be sure but it sound like it would be possibility.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 12:28 AM
    Thanks
    I think he wants to take off 2 rows of tines, maybe one on each end so he can have a 3 ft wide tilled strip to garden in, then add them back when he wants to till his larger garden.

Sounds like it would work, in order to keep the same load on the end bearings I would remove the same number of rows from each end to keep it balanced. I would not take 2 rows off of just one side, I doubt the tiller would have a catastrophic failure, but I could see the bearings wearing more over time. The tines generally bolt in, so they are not difficult to remove with basic tools.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:51 PM
    Thanks
    In theory it should work but it is still under one guard. It would think a plant might look a little rough because those blades spin a lot faster than a walk behind. It’s like a blender under there.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-19-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    The pattern for my tines are offset the same amount all the way around but they are in a corkscrew pattern so I bet you if you removed the same amount in the middle it might cause some serious vibrations. But only 1 way to find out and that's to try it out and see .

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:58 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,510 Times in 1,236 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    In theory it should work but it is still under one guard. It would think a plant might look a little rough because those blades spin a lot faster than a walk behind. It’s like a blender under there.
    https://www.agrisupply.com/one-row-cultivator/p/10398/

Sounds more like he needs one of these. I gave this some more thought and like you seems more like a good idea until you try and put into play. Even if he could make the tiller 30" wide the tractor is still the same width.
    BigJim55 and Herminator like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm not looking to cultivate on both sides of a planted row. The idea was to remove rows of tines so I could till a 2' or 3' wide path. Especially when cutting in a new 2' x 30' stand alone bed. Taking a row or 2 off of each end to keep the bearing load balanced should be perfectly fine. Just wondering how easy it is to remove the rows. On my walk behind each row of tines is sleeved on over the shaft so if the larger tillers are the same it would require removal of bearings and drive line components to slide a sleeve of tines.
    BigJim55 likes this.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks
    I can't speak to other tiller models, but... the tines on my Troybilt horse tiller can be removed from the hub that mounts on the shaft without removing the hub. This is so they can be easily replaced when worn down. I'm fairly certain I could remove the two outer sets and till with the inner sets to create a narrower tiller, but I've not actually tried it. I suspect most quality tillers that have replaceable tines are similar.
    BigJim55 and Ray_PA like this.
    John Deere 4200, 420 FEL, 60" MMM, #74 Front Blade, #59 Snowblower, iMatch, Hydraulic Dump MCS

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanB View Post
    is it possible to take a row or two of tines off of 4' tiller to work up narrower sections?
    It depends. How's that for an answer. I have not seen where you have posted the type of rototiller, only that it's a 4 footer. Sorry if I missed it. Perhaps that answer plus a picture of the tines would help. Maybe it's "obvious by inspection" once one takes a look.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    I haven't posted the type of tiller because I haven't bought a tiller yet. Looking for ideas on one that could do what I was hoping to do.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast