Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: 1025 Broom options for snow

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks

1025 Broom options for snow

Snow will be here soon enough in my area and I’m looking to add a broom to the front of my 1025R. There’s a guy a few hours away I’ve dealt with before selling a John Deere 60” quick hitch HD broom, it’s practically new and is asking 2300$ CDN for it. I was near my local John Deere dealer and they’re asking $4300 for the same broom new. That said the used broom is the obvious option.

My dealer then said he sees lots of guys coming in for parts and service because they’ve busted or broken something on their JD brooms. His solution is that he has a local manufacturer conterra industries who makes skid steer attachments design and “over build” a broom and hasn’t had a problem with them. My problem is that they’re nearly $5000.

So with that. Has anyone had any issues with John Deere’s 60” broom? For 2300$ I could buy a whole lot of spare parts. As I do use it commercially for snow removal downtime is a killer! Input is much appreciated
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    09-17-2019 @ 10:51 PM
    Thanks
    Can't help you on which one to pick, but I assume you have the from hitch and pto shaft already? If not you have to be sure the parts will fit when buying used.
    Last edited by Sawdust; 09-11-2018 at 10:23 PM.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I do have quick hitch and angling kit as well as front pto shaft and all connections. Not sure if blower/ broom have separate shaft connectors or not.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    I can't speak to the 60 Broom, but rather the 51 Broom that I had paired with a 455. I purchased it used, with about 70% of the bristle life remaining. It was pretty limited as too how much snow it would move. If the snow accumulation was much more than 1" and considering the distance I had to move it, anything more than that I would snap off sheer bolts (1/4" grade 5). Also, if I came into a bank of snow just a bit, I'd snap a sheer bolt. It would also "drop snow" behind it if I was moving any amount a distance.

1" of snow I can do with my back pack leaf blower, so I really didn't utilize the broom for that. It worked well for cleaning packed snow, such as when people drive across a fresh snowfall. If you like to keep your drive whistle-clean down to the concrete/pavement, they will get you there.

I sold it with one of the 455s and I have no intention to replace it. It is too much money for the little I utilize it, too much fuss to swap between the blower and broom, and storage space is always a premium.

I'd go with what I now utilize: a snowblower and a back pack leaf blower and I try to get on a snowfall before some rude person drives over it.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:43 AM
    Thanks
    cant talk about the 1025R but I put one on my 2038R and it works great. I have had it three months and used it to put gravel back in drive that was plowed in the grass, I used it to remove Thatch from my whole 4 acres and it throws it along way. on the 1025 make sure it uses the same angling kit. They aren't cheap but I am glad to have it. I will used it this fall for leaves and in spring to clean up the yard.
    SulleyBear likes this.
    2018 2038R 220R FEL, 72" Mower, Radial tires, wheel spacers, dual rear SVCs, CtA grapple, single point for FEL, 60" broom with front hitch;2018 1025R 54"auto connect, HDAP tires, Quick Hitch, Ballast Box, Etc...;1967 1020 3cylinder gas, #47 FEL, 72" Landpride Grooming Mower, 6ft box blade, For Sale(no Hurry); life Member NRA since 1974

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:11 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post
    Snow will be here soon enough in my area and I’m looking to add a broom to the front of my 1025R. There’s a guy a few hours away I’ve dealt with before selling a John Deere 60” quick hitch HD broom, it’s practically new and is asking 2300$ CDN for it. I was near my local John Deere dealer and they’re asking $4300 for the same broom new. That said the used broom is the obvious option.

My dealer then said he sees lots of guys coming in for parts and service because they’ve busted or broken something on their JD brooms. His solution is that he has a local manufacturer conterra industries who makes skid steer attachments design and “over build” a broom and hasn’t had a problem with them. My problem is that they’re nearly $5000.

So with that. Has anyone had any issues with John Deere’s 60” broom? For 2300$ I could buy a whole lot of spare parts. As I do use it commercially for snow removal downtime is a killer! Input is much appreciated

You sir should be thrown in jail for stealing the broom at that price!

I have the 60" on my 1025, and it's a snow moving beast. Depending on the type of snow, you will experience varied results obviously. Wet heavy stuff, 1-2" max, more normal dry type and it will handle up to 4" the manual says 6" but that's not been my experience. I moved ALOT of snow last year and never once sheared a bolt.

This spring i used it to dethach the lawn and it worked well, I'm going to do it again next spring with a little more aggressive setting.

Since you have the hitch, the only additional PTO connection is a short shaft between the hitch and the broom. The one thing I was not prepared for was the need for rear weights on the tractor. It's not tippy by any means, but it certainly looses traction easily with the broom raised. From the manual:
    Required ballast: two wheel weights. Recommended ballast: rear weight bracket or weight box with ten suitcase weights (with these options wheel weights are not needed.)
    I didn't run with that much weight, but I did pull a small 6' blade behind me, which worked out very well on packed snow. The broom would get the fluff out of the way, the angled blade would move the rest to the side for the next pass, save lots of time.

I'm really quite jealous of your find, I looked for over a year and could not locate a used one in about 500 miles so I bought new...and yes it hurt. But when I can fly around and move the snow outta the way, it stings less each year.
    Kennyd, chex313, Ray_PA and 1 others like this.
    Darwin
    1025r -> 60D Auto Connect MMM; H120 FEL, 53" bucket, KBOH (3), shackle backer (3), bolt on replaceable cutter; Frontier SB1154; 5' king cutter box blade; king cutter 3pt trailer mover; JD ballast box; 1.25" rear wheel spacers, 40 gallon Fimco sprayer, 52" Ohio Steel lawn sweeper, 3pt King Kutter Poly Fertilizer spreader.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:34 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,030 Times in 2,510 Posts
    Ray wrote a great post about using a broom for snow: 47 vs 54" (front mounted) blower
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:36 PM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,491 Times in 1,400 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post

The 60" broom is the Heavy Duty version of the two brooms which Deere sells. With it's actual caster wheel support system which the smaller brooms don't have, it would be much more appropriate for regular commercial use. As others have pointed out, make sure it's very clear exactly what's included in the sale as some of the shafts and other drive pieces can add up very quickly.

I am curious, are you are using the broom in commercial settings which have a "Zero Tolerance" snow requirement, like Hospitals and Many medical offices, etc. with people coming in and out who already have serious mobility complications? Places where the surface stays wet instead of allowing any accumulations with snow melt and other treatments? Otherwise, it would seem the broom is somewhat inefficient at regular snow removal duties where the snow amounts are often more than 4" to 6" and snow falls regularly enough you have to plan for the accumulation over the season.

If you don't mind and would share more information, I am curious how you use the broom commercially, whether it's for sidewalks or small parking lots., driveways, etc.? Also, what's the typical annual snowfall totals in your area per season? We always think of Canada getting more snow, being north of the lower 48.

I do a lot of snow plowing in our neighborhood with 17 driveways or so and while the broom gets the surface cleaned with a "minimal" snowfall (1" to 3" for our area) it struggles above that amount and also limits you to always sweeping it off to the side which will eventually create a bank which will be an impediment for the broom.

Plus, with the effort necessary to swap back to the snow blade, I personally don't find enough of an advantage to use the broom for snow duties. The broom takes up more storage room than any other implement I own for the tractor. A rubber scraper edge on the plow blade produces the same clean surface and is much faster and can handle varying depths of snow, where the broom really struggles. That's why I am curious about using the broom as the primary means of snow removal and working on commercial accounts with it. I am looking forward to your reply.

I would put the broom on a 1 series if I had a dedicated machine where I could leave the broom on it and I had another tractor which could have the plow blade and or snow thrower set up on it. Since many commercial operations have multiple pieces of equipment, I can see the broom being used in this fashion as an alternative instead of as a primary means of snow removal.
    Drifterbike and kylew like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the input guys. I currently maintain a dozen commercial sites lawn/ snow. Most are condominium buildings, a church and a business. As for safety, contract needs and my liability I want my sites as spotless as possibly. Currently I run 3 ramrod mini skid steer units with blades or hydraulic brooms, they’re awesome but slow.

Problem was I didn’t have anything to handle the big storms and snow drifts. I looked at what the other guys around me were using and saw a lot of 700s, 1 and 2 series tractors. Picked up a 1025 with blade and blower and I was hooked. I also have 5 acres so it’s darn handy there to.

With more thought I’m going to try broom out. Something like that will surely get its miles. More of my question was the true quality of their broom as my dealer didn’t seem like the build quality was well received.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 60EFB0DB-EC0D-4DC4-9CDC-0F2DAD89DD6D_1536810811467.jpeg   FCAEDE54-2C9E-4108-AA04-EC58AC463080_1536810848548.jpeg   0CA5CF09-3378-452F-AB52-822BC018A4EA_1536810942992.jpeg  
    chex313 and mark02tj like this.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Sully I’m no good at doing quotes. reading my reply I left out a few things. All parts are included in deal $2300. I’ve delt with seller before and he’s a solid guy.

I mostly do sidewalks with the broom/ blade and blower set ups I have now. V plow on the trucks takes care of parking lots. As most of my contracts are all included I really don’t like using ice melt. It’s costly even by the pallet, damaging to concrete and vegetation. Best solution is to sweep it clear. I also maintain 3 separate seniors condominiums and they’re not great on snow and ice.

Annual snowfall here is around 5’ in the Calgary area which I service.

I don’t mind switching around attachments. I’ve done it enough it takes me a minute to go from blade to blower. Hoping the broom could help me move a little faster as well rather than slowing down over uneven concrete cracks and lifts. I also have. 25’ trailer I drag my equipment around on, plus shop and a 40’ shipping container storage isn’t much of an issue

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast