Like Tree12Likes

Thread: blower or blade?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-20-2019 @ 07:44 PM
    Thanks

blower or blade?

Hey,all

Someday, I'm probably gonna need to get another tractor. One of the many things i will use it for is snow removal. Down in southern Indiana, we only get around 9.5" at most plus drifting. I love the idea of a blower, being able to throw snow far away, but I've heard that snowblowers need to be "Fed", and I'm not sure if I get enough snow for a blower. Oh, and I like the blower because of all of the moving parts and added complexity

So what do you all think?

Thanks!!!
    Last edited by johnH123; 02-05-2015 at 09:41 PM.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:50 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,292 Posts
    What tractor do you have? We have a similar situation here. Mostly get a few inches that can be plowed but every now and then we get dumped on which can only be properly handled with a blower. I used to have an old Ford 9N with a back blade for plowing and a 13HP 33" walk-behind for the big stuff. My knees aren't what they used to be so a couple years ago I sold everything and got a 2720 with a 54" front blower and a 5' rear blade. It is the perfect combo. I plow when plowing is appropriate and blow snow when needed. Sometimes I even plow snow onto a big pile and then blow it out of the way.

It's the best of both worlds.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnH123 View Post
    Hey,all
    Oh, and I like the blower because of all of the moving parts and added complexity

So what do you all think?

!
    What do I think...? Uhhhh.... I think yer nutz!

Blowers do need to be fed, especially the older single stage type. 2 stages are more forgiving and when you get used to doing 1"-3" snow falls the blower is just as good as a plow. The secret to small snows is to blow the first row right down close on top of where the next pass is going to be. Keep doing that each pass until you have the depth of snow accumulated that your blower "likes". The right travelling speed is essential in lighter snows (big snows as well, not too fast to bog the engine). One can blow any depth of snow. The same can't be said for plowing, it gets much harder the deeper it gets and then there is the "stacking" thing...

All that aside, I enjoy plowing more. No "Snowman Effects" collecting on your clothes when the wind is fickle and less noise. I have my standby GX335/42" single stage if things get out of hand for the plow so I'm fixed OK.

BTW, if you are going 54" JD blade be sure to check out (Pay Now button:laugh) Artillion's rubber cutting edge and blade wings. It is the plow "icing on the cake" for efficiency especially on pavement.
    etcallhome and BigJim55 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    11-02-2018 @ 09:53 AM
    Thanks
    I have both front mounted. I start by plowing early. After a few weeks and some decent snows I have an ice road built then I switch to the blower. (gravel drives) I am often out of room to push the snow by then as well. If I had to choose one it would be the blower, one pass and done. That said when I looked on CL for a used blower I searched INd, they just don't get used enough down there. I bought a like new 47 out of indy for 700 bucks. It had sat for a couple years, lack of snow. I once lived near Jasper in and all I needed there was a back blade. Here we get 100 plus a year and I plow a 850 and 1000 plus ft drive. I moved snow over 100 hours last year. Not near that this but still glad I have the big guns. I have a heated cab as well so I can run down the road from place to place.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    01-16-2017 @ 03:18 PM
    Thanks
    For southern Indiana, I'd highly recommend a blade mounted on a front end loader. Depending on the areas you have to clear would determine if you need a blade that angles. I have short distances to push so a non angling blade works great. I've piled snow eight feet high many times in the last 20 years that I've pushed snow with my antique tractor, loader, and blade. If I had a long drive to clear I'd have an angling blade on a loader. Maybe even a hyd angle.

I used a mounted snow blower on a garden tractor for several years when I lived in town, but getting covered with snow gets real old. Everybody says to blow with the wind but around buildings and trees, wind direction changes constantly. Upkeep of the blower is much more costly than a blade too. PTO clutches for the garden tractor lasted 4-5 years instead of 10-15 just mowing. Even front wheel bearings wore out from being soaked in ice/water in 3-5 years versus 15-20 years of normal use.

I've pushed four foot tall drifts with my 35 HP 7000# 2wd tractor with chains. SON and I had a snow moving event several years ago when we had over 100 inches of snow and moved several hundred cubic yards of snow out of the front yard of our house in just a couple hours. I had my tractor, SON had his, 50 HP 2wd 7500# tractor with loader, chains, and 80 inch wide bucket that I had moved snow with as a 10 year old 45 years before.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    What tractor do you have? We have a similar situation here. Mostly get a few inches that can be plowed but every now and then we get dumped on which can only be properly handled with a blower. I used to have an old Ford 9N with a back blade for plowing and a 13HP 33" walk-behind for the big stuff. My knees aren't what they used to be so a couple years ago I sold everything and got a 2720 with a 54" front blower and a 5' rear blade. It is the perfect combo. I plow when plowing is appropriate and blow snow when needed. Sometimes I even plow snow onto a big pile and then blow it out of the way.

It's the best of both worlds.

I'm probably gonna need another tractor. I currently only have the 4510, but I've got my eye on a 2032R.

Jh123
    -Countyline box blade,
    -RED windrow rake,

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by POWERSTROKE View Post
    For southern Indiana, I'd highly recommend a blade mounted on a front end loader. Depending on the areas you have to clear would determine if you need a blade that angles. I have short distances to push so a non angling blade works great. I've piled snow eight feet high many times in the last 20 years that I've pushed snow with my antique tractor, loader, and blade. If I had a long drive to clear I'd have an angling blade on a loader. Maybe even a hyd angle.

I used a mounted snow blower on a garden tractor for several years when I lived in town, but getting covered with snow gets real old. Everybody says to blow with the wind but around buildings and trees, wind direction changes constantly. Upkeep of the blower is much more costly than a blade too. PTO clutches for the garden tractor lasted 4-5 years instead of 10-15 just mowing. Even front wheel bearings wore out from being soaked in ice/water in 3-5 years versus 15-20 years of normal use.

I've pushed four foot tall drifts with my 35 HP 7000# 2wd tractor with chains. SON and I had a snow moving event several years ago when we had over 100 inches of snow and moved several hundred cubic yards of snow out of the front yard of our house in just a couple hours. I had my tractor, SON had his, 50 HP 2wd 7500# tractor with loader, chains, and 80 inch wide bucket that I had moved snow with as a 10 year old 45 years before.
    I looked at that. But it's very expensive and my tractor isn't properly equipped.
    -Countyline box blade,
    -RED windrow rake,

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    03-13-2019 @ 03:06 PM
    Shyacre Ranch, just shy of an acre taxed heavily in Illinois
    Thanks
    Here in Washington, Illinois, the best choice for me is the FEL with a 5' blade on the back of my 4100. I can clear my shop drive on the way up to the house drive, clear the house drive with the turnaround / parking area all in about 20 minutes each time I do it. It'd be quicker if I had a hydraulic cylinder on the blade to change the angle. Hmm, I feel another project coming on.
    vandepol likes this.
    - Black River Bart

2001 4100 hydro

Bart's Barn rear weight bracket/hitch receiver
    Bart's Barn Heated Cab

"God don't make junk."

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    06-02-2017 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    After having lived all over Michigan and having owned several types of each, here's my list of pro/cons:

Blade - pro:
    Good for light to moderate snowfall
    Mechanically simple
    Lightweight (easy to hook up)
    Higher working speeds
    Easy to use around buildings
    Good for scraping packed snow
    Inexpensive
    Depending on the type of blade they can be used for grading/landscaping in summer

Blade - con:
    The need to push snow piles back into 'holding areas'
    Not good for clearing extreme amounts of snow
    Can increase wear on a vehicle's chassis when used incorrectly
    Can be hard to use to clear large areas (barnyards)

Blower - pro:
    Best choice for clearing large amounts of snowfall
    Fairly simple if pto driven
    The ability to pile snow far from where it fell
    Great for use on large areas
    Great for areas that drift in

Blower - con:
    Poor choice for less than 2" of snowfall
    Slow working speeds
    Not as simple if hydraulically driven
    Heavy
    Shear-pins...
    Extremely expensive (compared to a blade)
    Unless you have a cab they are not fun to use around buildings or in shifting winds
    Takes lots of HP to run... Ok, maybe this is one is not always a bad thing!

Match your equipment to the conditions and you'll have no problem.
    '50 Model M w/electronic ignition, 12v conversion, and a 3pt conversion plus a homemade snowplow, a Deere Model 51 trailer plow, a Woods RM59 finish mower, a Bark Buster splitter, and a few other toys.
    '69 Sears Suburban 14 48" deck and 42" back blade, an estate rake, and a sweeper.
    '07 F250 XL Powerstroke, crew cab, short box, 4x4.
    '85 F150... I finally sold my very first truck after racking up over half-a-million miles on the original drivetrain.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Evergreen For This Useful Post:

RandyM (02-19-2015)

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    10-26-2019 @ 02:20 PM
    Thanks
    I would choose a blade over a blower for my uses.. There are times a blower would be nice, but the cost of them and to only use on snow, I cant justify one.. You can use a blade year round if you have a use..

Quote Originally Posted by Blkrvrbart View Post
    Here in Washington, Illinois, the best choice for me is the FEL with a 5' blade on the back of my 4100. I can clear my shop drive on the way up to the house drive, clear the house drive with the turnaround / parking area all in about 20 minutes each time I do it. It'd be quicker if I had a hydraulic cylinder on the blade to change the angle. Hmm, I feel another project coming on.
    Hi neighbor!!!

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast