Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree73Likes

Thread: Finish mower destroys belt.

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 12:32 AM
    Thanks

Finish mower destroys belt.

Posted a few weeks ago about my search for a Finish mower to go on my new 2025R. Got very little response about the used Frontier GM1060R that I had found at a local Deere dealer. Clean unit, used very little, still had green paint on underside and wheels showing very little wear. Included was I-Match conversion, chain deflection guard and anti-scalp roller. There was a blister on the side skirt where I am guessing something was hit hard enough to make a dent outwards about the size of a 50 cent coin. We arrived at a price that we were both good with. I did stipulate that I wanted the spindles checked especially the one closest to that blister, everything greased, blades sharp and delivered and hooked to my tractor to make sure everything was compatible.

Delivered last Friday and everything looked good. Salesman told me it had been through shop and everything was good to go. Started mowing today and maybe 30 minutes into mowing started hearing a tapping noise and a few seconds later blades on deck stopped turning. Pulled covers and belt was toast and in pieces with lots of belt rubber dust everywhere. Checked spindles and middle and right outer blades and spindles spin freely by hand. Sure enough the spindle closest to the blister I can barely turn by hand and when turning has tight spots in it. Pully on that spindles was very hot to the touch as well. Guessing the belt overheated at that spindle and came apart as heat built and it got harder to turn.

Called salesman and they are coming to get it and take it back to there shop for repairs. I am thinking the spindle shaft is bent and that caused the bearings to start to seize. Thinking about all that was done while it was in the shop to be checked out was some zerks greased to make it look like it had been checked over. Seems to me if it had been looked over properly they might have had to replace a spindle shaft and a couple bearings. Going to need that and a belt and possible more not to mention 4 hours travel time to come and get it and return after repairs. Be interesting to see what they come up with.
    Kennyd, etcallhome, PaDave and 9 others like this.
    2018 2025R with FEL, Auto Throttle Kit, Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, JD Ballast Box, I-Match Quick Hitch, JD 3 Point Receiver Hitch, Artillian 3000 pound Fork Frame and Backrest with 42x3 inch Forks and Bucket Hoe, Kens Bolt On Hooks, Rhinohide Canopy, Frontier GM1060R mower, JD GT275 Garden Tractor with 48 inch deck, JD 145 Automatic Lawn Tractor with 48 inch deck.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:30 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,038 Times in 2,516 Posts
    That’s sucks, but hopefully they will make it right.
    In their defense, I wouldn’t expect them to remove the belt(s) and inspect each spindle on used mower.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 04:52 PM
    Thanks
    I hate to hear something like this. Unfortunately you're about to find out if you have a "good dealer" or a "bad dealer". Hopefully you have a good dealer.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:29 PM
    Thanks
    Hopefully your JD dealer will do right by you. My experience with JD dealers has not always been all together positive.

I bought my finishing mower from CL. The seller was kind enough to give me an owner's manual and a contact for spare parts. The belts on my Farm King are recommended to be replaced in pairs; I keep a replacement set on hand at all times. We've only replaced them once. The diagram in the manual was crucial in our understanding of how exactly to replace these belts.

Good luck with your Deere dealings,

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by mahd7766 View Post
    Posted a few weeks ago about my search for a Finish mower to go on my new 2025R. Got very little response about the used Frontier GM1060R that I had found at a local Deere dealer. Clean unit, used very little, still had green paint on underside and wheels showing very little wear. Included was I-Match conversion, chain deflection guard and anti-scalp roller. There was a blister on the side skirt where I am guessing something was hit hard enough to make a dent outwards about the size of a 50 cent coin. We arrived at a price that we were both good with. I did stipulate that I wanted the spindles checked especially the one closest to that blister, everything greased, blades sharp and delivered and hooked to my tractor to make sure everything was compatible.

Delivered last Friday and everything looked good. Salesman told me it had been through shop and everything was good to go. Started mowing today and maybe 30 minutes into mowing started hearing a tapping noise and a few seconds later blades on deck stopped turning. Pulled covers and belt was toast and in pieces with lots of belt rubber dust everywhere. Checked spindles and middle and right outer blades and spindles spin freely by hand. Sure enough the spindle closest to the blister I can barely turn by hand and when turning has tight spots in it. Pully on that spindles was very hot to the touch as well. Guessing the belt overheated at that spindle and came apart as heat built and it got harder to turn.

Called salesman and they are coming to get it and take it back to there shop for repairs. I am thinking the spindle shaft is bent and that caused the bearings to start to seize. Thinking about all that was done while it was in the shop to be checked out was some zerks greased to make it look like it had been checked over. Seems to me if it had been looked over properly they might have had to replace a spindle shaft and a couple bearings. Going to need that and a belt and possible more not to mention 4 hours travel time to come and get it and return after repairs. Be interesting to see what they come up with.
    Levi, SulleyBear, Robnik and 2 others like this.
    Brian

2005 JD4720 open station that replaced a thoroughly worn out late 1940's Ford 8N
    Factory rear wheel weights
    JD 400x loader
    1997 Farm King 7 ft RMFM
    KBOGH's; Pat's ECS for Cat-1 hitch
    5 ft. Bush Hog dating from the dawn of Mankind

'94Honda 300 cc Fourtrax, '16 Honda 500 cc Foreman

Misc. rusty implements
    2X Simplicity Riding Mowers
    Second-hand Homemade log splitter (aka " The Beast")

46-1/4 acres in the majestic rolling hills in Southern Ohio

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    09-20-2019 @ 10:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,897 Times in 1,064 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mahd7766 View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Kennyd View Post
    That’s sucks, but hopefully they will make it right.
    In their defense, I wouldn’t expect them to remove the belt(s) and inspect each spindle on used mower.
    Seeing as he requested it, I would. Hope they do right by him this time.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    07-19-2019 @ 06:51 PM
    Thanks
    Were you mowing in some thick grass? Reason I ask is because I've tried mowing through some thick grass that I should have bush hogged and I went threw it to fast and the finish mower couldn't keep up and I burnt the belt slap off.
    Herminator and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:31 PM
    Thanks

Burn belt

Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    Were you mowing in some thick grass? Reason I ask is because I've tried mowing through some thick grass that I should have bush hogged and I went threw it to fast and the finish mower couldn't keep up and I burnt the belt slap off.
    You can certainly burn a belt that way but I doubt it would cause the spindle to seize. Most of the time, if I smell a burning belt there's something that should be turning freely and it's either a bad bearing, debris jam or something similar.

It's a different scenario but I hate looking back at a baler and seeing smoke coming off a roller. Frequently it's just a stick jammed in there somehow but it's a bad feeling to see smoke around dry hay. . .

Treefarmer
    John Deere 790, 300 loader w Ken's Bolt on Hooks & Piranha tooth bar, grapple, back blade, box blade, Bush Hog mower, couple of red tractors, hay equipment, various old stuff some red, one orange, some I don't remember

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    09-22-2019 @ 09:24 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,497 Times in 1,405 Posts
    When we hear about the members here on GTT who are hours away from their Deere dealer, it sure makes me appreciate having one 10 minutes away.

I hope they get this straightened out and in an equitable manner. Any idea how many hours are on the mower or how old it is?

When you mention the blister on the mower near that troublesome spindle, are you referring to a dent outward in the mower from it having struck something with the blade? Or is it some other type of issue?

What was the type of material you were mowing at the time? It really shouldn't be much of an issue if you are moving slowly and allowing the mower to clear the debris properly while cutting it. Just curious how tall the area was and if it was grass or the thick thorny stuff. I have a neighbor with a 2320 and he cuts rough areas with a finish mower and gets a pretty decent result. Sometimes the field is 2 and 3 feet tall when he cuts it.

Did the mower seem to spin up fairly quickly when you powered the PTO? Did it seem like the mower had any drag on it while you were using it? One way you may have noticed this would have been having to really increase the throttle position to get to the rear mower to the right RPM's when you were using it. For example, if you had the tachometer needle at the rear PTO speed and then you engage the rear PTO, did the mower spin and keep the RPM's at the 540 for the PTO of did you have to increase the throttle position to get the blade speed back up to the target RPM?

I am assuming the 2025 has the same digital readout in the hour meter location for the PTO RPM when it's engaged.........
    Robnik and Herminator like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve O View Post
    I was mowing my side front yard. Mowed a week ago with my GT275 JD. Is always mowed when I mow the yard. Set the finishing mower at 3.5 inches which is what I mow at all summer with the GT275. Was cutting maybe a half to three quarters inch off the top. Some places was actually difficult to see where I had mowed.
    Levi, Robnik and Herminator like this.
    2018 2025R with FEL, Auto Throttle Kit, Frontier RC2060 Rotary Cutter, JD Ballast Box, I-Match Quick Hitch, JD 3 Point Receiver Hitch, Artillian 3000 pound Fork Frame and Backrest with 42x3 inch Forks and Bucket Hoe, Kens Bolt On Hooks, Rhinohide Canopy, Frontier GM1060R mower, JD GT275 Garden Tractor with 48 inch deck, JD 145 Automatic Lawn Tractor with 48 inch deck.

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SulleyBear View Post
    When we hear about the members here on GTT who are hours away from their Deere dealer, it sure makes me appreciate having one 10 minutes away.

I hope they get this straightened out and in an equitable manner. Any idea how many hours are on the mower or how old it is?

When you mention the blister on the mower near that troublesome spindle, are you referring to a dent outward in the mower from it having struck something with the blade? Or is it some other type of issue?

What was the type of material you were mowing at the time? It really shouldn't be much of an issue if you are moving slowly and allowing the mower to clear the debris properly while cutting it. Just curious how tall the area was and if it was grass or the thick thorny stuff. I have a neighbor with a 2320 and he cuts rough areas with a finish mower and gets a pretty decent result. Sometimes the field is 2 and 3 feet tall when he cuts it.

Did the mower seem to spin up fairly quickly when you powered the PTO? Did it seem like the mower had any drag on it while you were using it? One way you may have noticed this would have been having to really increase the throttle position to get to the rear mower to the right RPM's when you were using it. For example, if you had the tachometer needle at the rear PTO speed and then you engage the rear PTO, did the mower spin and keep the RPM's at the 540 for the PTO of did you have to increase the throttle position to get the blade speed back up to the target RPM?

I am assuming the 2025 has the same digital readout in the hour meter location for the PTO RPM when it's engaged.........

I got this mower from another store in my dealers network. My primary dealer and where I bought my tractor is about 25 minutes away. This store is another 25 minutes down the road from my primary store.

Mower was listed as a 2015 sold new in May 2017. Used once or twice. I believe that as the underside of the deck paint shows very little wear and is still bright green. Wheels and anti-scalp roller show very little wear or abrasion.

Blister is a outward dent about the size of a 50 cent coin in the side skirt. The metal is actually cracked at the bottom of the dent. The skirt is 8 gauge steel hence my concern with the spindle and bearings.

Material being cut is my regularly cut side front yard. Just grass that was mowed a week ago with lawn tractor. Was cutting at 3.5 inches as usual and was taking at most 3/4 inch off top.

Mower did seem to spin up fine. As with my rotary cutter I usually engage PTO at 2200 rpm or so. Then advance throttle to 3200. 2025R does have the PTO rpm digital readout and no problems getting to 540 rpm. Actually throttled back to 520 rpm as the grass was so short.
    Levi, Robnik and Herminator like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast