Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: 1025r Quick Hitch Snow Blade

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-18-2018 @ 06:37 PM
    Thanks

1025r Quick Hitch Snow Blade

I recently purchased a beautiful used 1025r from an older gentleman that used it minimally. I'm looking to put a snow blade on the front for my 1/2 mile long milling driveway. I have a 8' blade on my truck, but I truly hate driving all winter with the blade on my truck.

Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with the 54" quick hitch snow blade on their 1025r? There are a ton of videos that show its success, but I live just south of Buffalo, NY...we average 100+ inches of wet, heavy, lake effect snow each year.

Also, there are a ton of used quick hitch blades for sale through Craigslist/Facebook marketplace...typically they all look the same as the quick hitch blades that I find on Frontiers website, but they all state they are mountable on "x" and "y" tractors...I was under the quick hitch setup was pretty much one size fits all tractors. Any help is appreciated before the snow starts to fly!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 01:17 PM
    Thanks
    Sorry to say I dont own the blade but not all quick hitches are the same. The blade fits many tractors. The hitch is what makes it fit. You need the one for 1025r 1026r or 1023e. Ttwt on YouTube discusses the negatives of the blade. I hope to swing the purchase someday but not yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025r 60d and h120 with bucket. Quick hitch with barbell and weights for ballast.
    Purchased 3/11/2017

Forks soon. Blade for the loader. Rio mod.
    So much fun to be had!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PickupMan For This Useful Post:

Henderson(09-26-2018)

5. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,015 Times in 2,497 Posts
    This chart will get you started, it tells what QH parts go with what tractors.

Used John Deere 47" & 54" Snow Blower Buying Guide

My thoughts are that a 1/2 mile drive is a lot for a 1-series with no cab.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    100 inches per year? I'm agreeing with Kenny, go blower or stay with the truck. I own a 1026 with about 140' paved driveway on a hill. Even here in the Hudson Valley I have completely run out of room to store the plowed/stacked snow and had to resort to my GX335/42" blower in a 20" storm a couple years ago. If you can, maybe a blade and a blower. Both use the same lift and mounting frame...
    BigJim55 likes this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:24 PM
    Thanks
    BM19782 From the following Models X465, X475, X485, X495,X575, X585, X595, X700, X720, X724, X728, X729, X740, X744, X748, X749 and all current X700 signature series tractors will fit On the 1023E & 1025R as well as the Gen I & Gen II 2025R But for the 1023E & 1025R & 2025R you will also a Need a Few Extra Brackets that fit between the Hitch and the Tractor BLV10796 Front-attaching support kit
    BigJim55 likes this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,TX Gator
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:42 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ajburnside View Post
    ....... I'm looking to put a snow blade on the front for my 1/2 mile long milling driveway....

Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with the 54" quick hitch snow blade on their 1025r? There are a ton of videos that show its success, but I live just south of Buffalo, NY...we average 100+ inches of wet, heavy, lake effect snow each year.....

Seriously, if you get that much snow, you'll be wanting a blower.

You can't go fast enough with a tractor to get the snow to fly off the blade like you can with the truck. Unless you have lots of room on the sides of your driveway to push the snow way back and lots of time to move it, the blower is the only way to go. If you mount a snow blade on the end of your front end loader, you might be able to stack the snow high enough to not need a blower, but a blade by it's self will just push the snow, not stack it...

I get lake effect snows off of Lake Superior up here and have both the blower and the blade. The blower gets a lot more use than the blade. The blade is nice for lesser snowfalls, but for the big stuff it's the blower. And FYI, get the 54" one. The 47" works fine, but for curved driveways the wider path make for a cleaner job.

Click image for larger version.

Name:	09iii.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	649480

Name:	DSCF9152 - Copy.JPG
Views:	384
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	649482

Name:	DSCF9335 - Copy.JPG
Views:	35
Size:	211.9 KB
ID:	649486

Name:	IMG_0850 - Copy.JPG
Views:	36
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	649488

Name:	DSCF7723.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	649484
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 11:38 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with what's being said for the most part. That sounds like a really long driveway for that size equipment. The blade will take forever and the blower will take longer. And a blower without a cab is no fun. The blower is probably more appropriate for your snowfall but I would also own the blade for the minimal extra cost. I use both.

Do you need to use the loader during the winter at all? Switching back and forth can be a pain. Not difficult just annoying unless you have a nice heated shop to do it in. I end up using a loader mounted blade more because of that.

I do think it sounds like the truck is still the best tool for the job though. It's much faster, works better and is warm. The tractor might be nice around the shop for the hard to access stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:50 PM
    Thanks
    I live a bit farther north that you (about 60 minutes north of Albany) and couldn't imagine using a blade in the winter on my 1025R. We don't get the lake effect snow you guys do, but we do get our share of snow. I usually will get all my snowmobile gear on sans helmet and get to work, although some days the helmet is necessary with the wind blowing snow back in my face. I snow blow about a 1/3 acre worth of driveway and property, and while a cab would be nice it's hard to justify since they're not easy to get off and don't offer A/C for summer duties.

I guess it really all depends on how your driveway is laid out and what you're comfortable with. For a 1/2 mile driveway, and already owning a plow for the truck I'd have have a hard time justifying the cost of the quick hitch and plow - you don't have the mass or the speed you'll have with a truck, nor do you have the 8' plow width or the heated cab.
    North585 and BigJim55 like this.
    2019 John Deere 2032R R3 Radials w/ 220R Loader
    60D AutoConnect mower
    Dual rear SCVs and power beyond
    Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks
    iMatch
    John Deere Ballast Box
    Frontier AP10F 42" Pallet Forks
    Land Pride BB1260
    CountyLine 4' tiller
    Homemade 5' land plane
    Homemade three point weight bracket\receiver hitch
    Aftermarket LED rear and front lights

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    08-30-2019 @ 06:39 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,120 Times in 956 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ajburnside View Post
    I recently purchased a beautiful used 1025r from an older gentleman that used it minimally. I'm looking to put a snow blade on the front for my 1/2 mile long milling driveway. I have a 8' blade on my truck, but I truly hate driving all winter with the blade on my truck.

Has anyone had positive/negative experiences with the 54" quick hitch snow blade on their 1025r? There are a ton of videos that show its success, but I live just south of Buffalo, NY...we average 100+ inches of wet, heavy, lake effect snow each year.

Also, there are a ton of used quick hitch blades for sale through Craigslist/Facebook marketplace...typically they all look the same as the quick hitch blades that I find on Frontiers website, but they all state they are mountable on "x" and "y" tractors...I was under the quick hitch setup was pretty much one size fits all tractors. Any help is appreciated before the snow starts to fly!!!
    Hello and welcome to GTT. I also am located south of Buffalo, down along the PA line. You have gotten a lot of good advice here. I have used a 47" blower on the front of my 1026R for many years. It does a great job. I am buying a 54" blade this year. I have gotten tired of face fulls of snow from the blower. My intent is to swap the blade and blower depending on the snow amounts. I an going to add extensions and a rubber edge to the 54" blade. Eventually I plan to add an X7 diesel to my fleet and will leave the blade on that, blower on the 1026R.

I will play devils advocate and tell you that a blade on the 1025R should be fine. It will just take more time than the truck, and there is no cab. But if you use your truck and plow for the bigger storms and the 1025R with blade for the lesser snows, you should be good.
    North585, HydroHarold and BigJim55 like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 11:01 AM
    Thanks
    As a “professional” snow removal guy keep using the truck. Having both and using the 1025 blower and blade I can tell you that with your ammount of snow the truck is the clear winner. Depending on type of plow (straight blade vs V-plow) you could get a lot more moved and stacked higher and further with the truck. I fully understand driving around with a blade on when not needed, it sucks. My western mvp can go on and off in 30 seconds, they even have a commercial where a monkey can do it. That said a V- Plow is a pretty big investment
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast