Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Stuck PTO shaft (won't extend)

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:39 PM
    Thanks

Stuck PTO shaft (won't extend)

I have an auger I bought used pretty cheap. Just noticed the PTO shaft will not extend or compress. Probably because it was sitting outside for a long time. What can I do to get it moving again?
    buckteeth445 likes this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:09 PM
    Thanks
    You can try to spray it with penetration oil. Soak it good, let it sit for a day or longer, then force it together or apart. Itís probably just rusted together. But , take a close look to make sure someone hasnít bolted or welded it . If you not the original owner or know the person that had it before you anything is possible.
    Tomfive, BigJim55, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    The other thing worth checking is if the PTO shaft is twisted. If the previous suggestions donít work you could soak it in diesel fuel. When you get the two half shafts apart you might check them for burrs also.

And if all else fails a new PTO shaft should be $60-$150 from Agrisupply

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    At the moment, I can't even figure out how to get the damn plastic shaft shield opened up to look at the actual shaft. There is probably some trick to it I don't know about, but I'm about ready to saw the plastic off out of rage. Nonetheless, how does one properly determine which new replacement shaft from agrisupply to buy?
    1010 likes this.
    1025r | 60D | Forks | AV20F Grapple & 3rd SCV | 60" Box Blade | Danuser G20/40 Auger | Titan Pine Straw Rake | Kenny's hooks, springs, & diff lock pedal | LED Lighting Upgrades | HF Quick Hitch w/ extended top hook | Heavy Hitch weight bracket & toothbar | Custom loader snow plow

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I believe the new auger pto shafts are 52Ē long in the closed position. Always order a longer half shaft than needed and cut it to length. You could also double the length of one of your stuck half shafts, add some length.

Also I would not destroy the plastic. Some can be a pita to remove but the plastic shield on an auger pto is important for safety IMO. This is coming from someone who has bypassed and removed all safety features on a brand new tractor.

How to Measure and Cut a Tractor PTO Shaft - YouTube

BigJim55 and 69project like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm enough of a clutz that I'd never not want that shield on there. I've been around one that had no shielding on anything and I remember thinking "I don't want to be here".

One of my coworkers suggested laying it down and pounding it in with a sledge hammer and block of wood to break the rust loose. Then at the earliest possible convenience, take the shaft apart, wire wheel it, and grease it up heavily. I really want to get some holes dig this weekend so hoping this works.

This what I've got. I'm sure someone is wondering it actually lifts up high enough? Barely. Bit drags on uneven ground. Going to flip the lift arms around this evening to hopefully get a few inches out of it. I don't need it to be much higher. Just enough to move around slowly.

Over the winter, I'd like to get this beast cleaned up, painted, and probably sell it since I won't need it anymore.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180920_185652.jpg
    Tomfive likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedals2Paddles View Post
    At the moment, I can't even figure out how to get the damn plastic shaft shield opened up to look at the actual shaft. There is probably some trick to it I don't know about, but I'm about ready to saw the plastic off out of rage.
    It is simple, You yank the shaft apart and then slide the plastic guard off. I suppose it is not that funny, but that is how it comes off.

Al

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    06-03-2019 @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Database error

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AlKozak View Post
    It is simple, You yank the shaft apart and then slide the plastic guard off. I suppose it is not that funny, but that is how it comes off.

Al
    That would be great, if the shaft would come apart....

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Does that PHD have a reverser?

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast