Like Tree92Likes

Thread: Evolution of our snow clearing habits

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:07 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,175 Times in 992 Posts

Evolution of our snow clearing habits

While clearing snow this week, I was thinking back to my "Glory Days of Snow Clearing". Ah, yes the good ole days when a face full of snow from the blower didn't bother me. I remember when the more snow I had to clear, the better. The spout was always wide open on the blower and I loved to see the white stuff rocketing through the air. I would go out and clear my driveway as well as the driveway's of my 3 nearest neighbors. And I was out there clearing just the slightest bit of accumulation off the driveway.

And then, I bought a pair of goggles as a poor man's cab, and it all seemed to start changing. Now, I have the spout control and carefully place the snow, very little rocketing and more piles. I use the rear blade more. There needs to be at least 4" of accumulation before I even start to contemplate going out. I only do 1 neighbor.

I attribute this to a few things. My work situation has changed from mostly office work to mostly outdoor work (this is the biggie). Also neighborhood tensions play a part. And perhaps age, I just seem to be cold more often and for longer periods of time. Oh well, I still get seat time, which allows for this deep reflection time apparently!

How have your habits changed/evolved and why?
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,159 Times in 2,313 Posts
    Nothing much has changed - except for me.....

Same driveway for 20 years now - and no neighbors.

The only thing that has changed is me - I used to be all over the snow as soon as it stopped - but I had to get it done when I could when I was working. Also couldn't stand not having it done - just like I can't stand to look at my yard if it needs mowed.

Now - I don't have to go anywhere - and the cold really gets into my joints. So now the snow may sit on the driveway for days before I clean it up. Then I take my time as I have to do it in 20-30 minute sessions.

But still enjoy any seat time I get.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Well now that i have the tractor it's much easier.
    Used to rely on the quad plow and walk behind snow blower.
    I also now have my 11 year old son Jamie and the wife trained to shovel all the walks and deck off. That has become their job for the most part.
    Years of me stressing it all has to be cleared or it will freeze seems to be working with them.
    ColonyPark and Levi like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:03 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,588 Times in 998 Posts
    I had been using the tractor loader to clear snow since about 1983. I also have an Ariens 10-32 walk behind that I used for the walkways in front of and behind the properties. Since moving to my current property I've switched to using a front mounted snow blower due to the length of the driveway @ 850' and the hilly terrain. I've also learned to appreciate the comforts of a cab and recently installed heater. They say you never missed it if you never had it. I guess that's true and it would be near impossible to do it the old way!!
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    Nothing much has changed - except for me.....

Same driveway for 20 years now - and no neighbors.

The only thing that has changed is me - I used to be all over the snow as soon as it stopped - but I had to get it done when I could when I was working. Also couldn't stand not having it done - just like I can't stand to look at my yard if it needs mowed.

Now - I don't have to go anywhere - and the cold really gets into my joints. So now the snow may sit on the driveway for days before I clean it up. Then I take my time as I have to do it in 20-30 minute sessions.

But still enjoy any seat time I get.
    Seat time is what it is all about!

Quote Originally Posted by blue87fj60 View Post
    Well now that i have the tractor it's much easier.
    Used to rely on the quad plow and walk behind snow blower.
    I also now have my 11 year old son Jamie and the wife trained to shovel all the walks and deck off. That has become their job for the most part.
    Years of me stressing it all has to be cleared or it will freeze seems to be working with them.
    Ahhh yes, the stressing, I remember that. Luckily I have been able to let that go. Besides, Mrs. CP stresses enough for the both of us and then some!

Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    I had been using the tractor loader to clear snow since about 1983. I also have an Ariens 10-32 walk behind that I used for the walkways in front of and behind the properties. Since moving to my current property I've switched to using a front mounted snow blower due to the length of the driveway @ 850' and the hilly terrain. I've also learned to appreciate the comforts of a cab and recently installed heater. They say you never missed it if you never had it. I guess that's true and it would be near impossible to do it the old way!!
    I am probably better off without the cab, because you are right. What I don't know, won't hurt me.
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:01 AM
    Thanks
    I don't think much has changed for me. I some what enjoy plowing snow. Learned along time ago when I was just a kid not to try to blow snow into the wind.
    etcallhome, HydroHarold and Levi like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Let the wind be your friend, work with it, not against it! Great advice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:12 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,563 Times in 1,645 Posts
    Before buying my own tractor , would use the FIL , would do his , BIL, church parking lot and my own. No cab and only rwd and front plow.
    Bought mine, about 2000 after the first yr and doing this more in the evenings , getting older, needed a cab . Have had a OTC since then but about 8 yrs or more ago found a heater for the cab. Now doing 12-19 driveways everytime I go out. All total about 2-3 hrs ,plus using blower more now than than front blade.
    Gene

Have fun and be safe !!!
    USAR 8yr 8 mo SSG 99th ARCOM
    JD 1025R, H120 FEL 54" bucket, 54" mmm Auto Conn, 54" Front blade, JD back hoe ,JD IMatch, 48" Bush Hog tiller, Middlebuster from MF dealer, used King Kutter 5' rear blade, a new 47" JD Front blower and Original Tractor cab w/heater.
    We have a Red Honda Pioneer 700-4 (4 seater) w/soft top , doors, and winch.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:22 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ColonyPark View Post
    While clearing snow this week, I was thinking back to my "Glory Days of Snow Clearing". Ah, yes the good ole days when a face full of snow from the blower didn't bother me. I remember when the more snow I had to clear, the better. The spout was always wide open on the blower and I loved to see the white stuff rocketing through the air. I would go out and clear my driveway as well as the driveway's of my 3 nearest neighbors. And I was out there clearing just the slightest bit of accumulation off the driveway.

And then, I bought a pair of goggles as a poor man's cab, and it all seemed to start changing. Now, I have the spout control and carefully place the snow, very little rocketing and more piles. I use the rear blade more. There needs to be at least 4" of accumulation before I even start to contemplate going out. I only do 1 neighbor.

I attribute this to a few things. My work situation has changed from mostly office work to mostly outdoor work (this is the biggie). Also neighborhood tensions play a part. And perhaps age, I just seem to be cold more often and for longer periods of time. Oh well, I still get seat time, which allows for this deep reflection time apparently!

How have your habits changed/evolved and why?
    Yep, bought the poor man's cab too. But over the years I have been in this home, I have changed a lot of things. The first year I was here, the driveway was not paved. There was a two foot dip in the center of the drive from where it meets the road to the top of the drive. Every time we had 2 or three inches of snow I had two foot deep drifts in that dip. Perfectly level with the start and the end of the drive. When I was going to pave, I had several blacktop contractors in for quotes. When I told each of them that I wanted to build the drive up so it was level from the street to the top, they all thought I was crazy, except one. Well the others I told them if you do not want to do it my way, hit the road. Long story short, the contractor that did it used a transit to assure that the slope was without the dip. That solved a lot of my drifts with a couple of inches. The wind blows pretty hard at my little homestead. There is a mountain range just over the knoll that creates a venturi effect. Yep like an old time carburetor. I have seen gusty thunderstorms come in and the clouds part over that area, due to the increased pressure and increased wind speed aimed right at my home..... Anyway, the next fix was to start cutting windrows in the yard with the blower to get the snow to drop out like a snow fence. Piled up the snow with a low pointed spout at an angle. This year, I started to cut one parallel to the drive. Has stopped all of the drifting into the drive. Thinking about getting some actual snow fence next year. Keep saying that every year.... I guess seat time is just to much fun. Put up a new building to house my new girlfriend (tractor) which has created more drifting at the top of the drive.... Oh well, more fun!! And boy has it been drifting this year. Many days the wind is blowing 30 to 35 MPH. steady.... Really looking hard at those cabs though.... I am 2o years older than when I got here, and the wind is starting to get to me.
    MY2013 1025R TLB
    47" 2 stage front QT Snow Blower
    647 Tiller
    54D QT mowing deck W/ independent lift
    120H FEL W/ 49 in bucket
    260 BH W/ 12" bucket
    Homemade 10 Kw PTO Driven Generator (Timing Belt Driven 2000RPM input, from front PTO)
    1972 Homelite XL12 inherited from Dad going strong!
    Stihl FS90 String Trimmer
    Mantis Rotary Tiller
    ABI 5ft. Heavy Duty Landscape Rake

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:14 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Deere 1025R TLB View Post
    Yep, bought the poor man's cab too. But over the years I have been in this home, I have changed a lot of things. The first year I was here, the driveway was not paved. There was a two foot dip in the center of the drive from where it meets the road to the top of the drive. Every time we had 2 or three inches of snow I had two foot deep drifts in that dip. Perfectly level with the start and the end of the drive. When I was going to pave, I had several blacktop contractors in for quotes. When I told each of them that I wanted to build the drive up so it was level from the street to the top, they all thought I was crazy, except one. Well the others I told them if you do not want to do it my way, hit the road. Long story short, the contractor that did it used a transit to assure that the slope was without the dip. That solved a lot of my drifts with a couple of inches. The wind blows pretty hard at my little homestead. There is a mountain range just over the knoll that creates a venturi effect. Yep like an old time carburetor. I have seen gusty thunderstorms come in and the clouds part over that area, due to the increased pressure and increased wind speed aimed right at my home..... Anyway, the next fix was to start cutting windrows in the yard with the blower to get the snow to drop out like a snow fence. Piled up the snow with a low pointed spout at an angle. This year, I started to cut one parallel to the drive. Has stopped all of the drifting into the drive. Thinking about getting some actual snow fence next year. Keep saying that every year.... I guess seat time is just to much fun. Put up a new building to house my new girlfriend (tractor) which has created more drifting at the top of the drive.... Oh well, more fun!! And boy has it been drifting this year. Many days the wind is blowing 30 to 35 MPH. steady.... Really looking hard at those cabs though.... I am 2o years older than when I got here, and the wind is starting to get to me.
    Snow fence is pretty good system.
    We've always had alot along the roads where i live.
    It works without a doubt.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast