• 1 Post By TJR345
  • 2 Post By mark02tj

Thread: Rear PTO drive shaft length

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:47 AM
    Thanks

Rear PTO drive shaft length

Ok guys. I'm fairly new to tractors and attachments so I'm hoping someone will help me out. I recently bought a used John Deere rear mounted 54" snowblower and I have an imatch on the back. The guy I bought the blower from had it mounted to a BX. I am pretty sure I will need a longer drive shaft for it. I would assume that everyone with this set up would use the same length drive shaft. So my question is, what is the length that I need? Can I find one this length or will I need to cut it? Are the rear PTO drive shafts the same as far as fitting the tractor? Are there any brands in particular to avoid? Thanks for your help!
    BigJim55 likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    You just might get lucky and find one that is the right length, probably not though. You can do a preliminary measurement to know which length to buy, make sure if anything it is a little long and measure and cut.

PTO driveline length?
    BigJim55, Herminator and Bumper like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    You'll likely need to cut the driveshaft. The link within a link, that PJR832 provided and originated by Everything Attachments (EA), is probably the best "how to" on determining/cutting driveshaft length I've ever seen.

Most farm supply stores stock driveshafts. You'll need to pay attention to the diameters and spline configuration of the mating shafts on your snowblower and tractor, as there are a number of different combinations. You'll also probably want to run through the first portion of the EA YouTube video to establish the length required, before you shop for the driveshaft.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:34 PM
    Thanks
    If the shaft you have is too short, you may not need to buy a new shaft. If you have a local machine/fabrication shop, you can take it to them and they can replace the actual shaft part of the driveshaft. I live in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere and we have such a shop and I hat a PTO shaft that was too short, and they replaced the shaft part. Very cheap, too. A dealer might be able to do this also.
    Tomfive, BigJim55 and Bumper like this.
    2019 X758, 54" Autoconnect deck
    2018 2032R, 220R Loader, dual rear SCV, hydraulic top link, SB1164 Snow Blower, RC2072 rotary cutter, BB5048L box blade, 42" Titan forks, BB2060L back blade

Owned in the past:
    X570, X758 (2015), 1025R, X590

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 03:11 PM
    Thanks
    Best way is to measure what you need,you may have to cut it.Make sure you get the right type.
    Home
    Search Results | Agri Supply
    Last edited by TJR345; 10-06-2018 at 05:45 PM.
    PJR832 likes this.
    Tom

2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:13 PM
    Thanks
    If your shaft is too short you can usually find an extension that will work. The one for my tiller was sized for my tractor before I got a quick-hitch and was too short when I started using the QH but one of these fixed the problem without having to buy a new shaft.

PTO Extender
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 07:07 AM
    Thanks
    Have you tried the shaft that came with the blower? It might actually work OK. The BX isn't that much different size-wise than your 1025R is it?

Push the shaft so that it's as short as possible. Mount it to your tractor and then measure again. Somewhere online you should be able to find what an "acceptable overlap" of the two ends. If you need "more overlap" (ie - shaft is too short), consider removing your iMatch for the winter. That will give you about 4" or so. The PTO extender linked to above is also a good way to get an extra 3" or 4".

I've purchased 2 used PTO driven implements. I didn't have to get a different shaft for either of them. When I bought my last chipper, it came with a brand new shaft that I did need to cut down. It was kind of nerve wracking doing that. Measure 6 times, cut once.

(Also, please put your tractor type in your signature line - I had to go back to one of your first forum posts to see what kind of tractor you had since you didn't mention it in this thread. Wanted to know what you had to compare it to the BX you mentioned.)
    TJR345 and PJR832 like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements