Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: Draft links and box blade angle

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:27 AM
    Thanks

Draft links and box blade angle

I'm trying to find the post, but I though I read once a long time ago that flipping the draft links around end for end will change the geometry enough that the front blade of the box blade can either dig in more or less aggressively (assuming the top link is left alone). Just wondering because right now my front blade doesn't really cut below grade at all, and I would like it to be more aggressive.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-11-2019 @ 03:49 AM
    Thanks
    Last weekend when I was installing my 3 point hitch for the first time on my new 1025R FILB I read through some posts about it & saw something that might be what you're talking about.

In one thread someone pointed out that the distance from the bend to the ball on each end of the lower arms is different by an inch or so. One guy mentioned that he discovered that by swapping his lower arms so that the longer distance ends are on the implement when lowered the ends were like 3" closer to the ground than the other way. I think he said he could only lower his hitch to like 11" off the ground until he swapped them & then it was like 8" off the ground. I put my lower arms on with the longer distance away from the tractor &, IIRC, mine was 7.5" or 8" off the ground when lowered. (I believe there was some sort of small stamped figure on the longer end of the arms on mine if that helps.) If yours is set the other way & you swap the lower arms around it should hopefully allow you to lower the box blade more & take a bigger bite. I think I have also seen where some people may have bought another adjustable lift link so that both sides are adjustable to get a little more range when lifting & lowering.

I have no experience with box blades, but that is on my wish list so I have done a little research into them. I have seen somewhere where people stated that if you adjust the top link to tip the front of the box blade it affects how aggressive of a bite it takes as well. I'm not sure, but IIRC tipping the front down so it is lower than the back of the box blade should make it dig more aggressively compared to more of a grading action if it is level or tipped back. This was for pulling it while diving forward so I assume if you're backing up pushing with it this would be the opposite.

Good luck to you.
    MowJoe likes this.
    2018 1025R FILB (120R, 260B), 60D MMM w/ Load-N-Go, Auto connect, Premium LED light kit & guards, Block heater, Ken's bolt on hooks, seat springs, & diff lock pedal, Heavy Hitch Toothbar, Edge Tamers & Extenders, Gremlins?

1990 318, Homemade 3pt hitch, 54 Blade w/ homemade scoop, 30 Hydraulic tiller w/ homemade 3pt mount, Homemade weight brackets

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:02 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 1,276 Posts
    Why not just adjust your top link
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    Adjusting the top link on my box blade will give you a lot of bite with the blade or a lot of bite with the ripper teeth depending on which way you go. With the top link closed all the way in the blade on the box blade doesn't even touch the ground almost.

I only adjust the lower link to keep the blade level. Adding a second adjustable lower link to the set up sounds like it could be handy from time to time.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    With the top link maxed out the front blade does not go low and "steep" enough to "scrape" below grade if that makes sense. I have had my 3 pt hitch off and on a few times and I remember thinking, "wow this is very steep and really scrapes below grade" so maybe I had the draft links on the opposite way? Maybe it was just my imagination? I guess I'll just have to flip them around and see if I remember correctly or if I was dreaming lol. I'll also have to pay attention to how high it lifts with the arm on in the different orientation. I'll report back but it may not be until later next week. Thanks for the replies guys.

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Today @ 07:27 AM
    Thanks
    The blade on the box blade will only dig as deep as the side plates or ripper teeth let it go into the ground.

Once I've made a pass with the ripping teeth I can come back with the blade and it will dig right down to where the bottom of the ripper grooves.

In my brief time using the implement I've found the teeth do the digging work and the blade is just there for pushing and smoothing the loose dirt the teeth leave behind. The blade also does a good job of collecting the rocks that are kicked up.
    Bumper likes this.
    X738, 54HC deck w/ auto connect, 3PH
    Woods GBC48 box scraper
    Day dreaming of a 54" snow blower

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    09-01-2019 @ 08:55 AM
    Thanks
    Interesting topic
    2018 X739 w/54HC MMM & Mulch Kit
    54" 4-Way Plow w/Custom Mount
    Ruegg 3PH and a gaggle of implements.

TSC = The Village of Idiots

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:11 AM
    Thanks
    I can't remember for sure when I had my 1025R, but I suspect you can change this by lengthening the lift links. My 4066R allows me to make such changes. The right side is controlled by a turnbuckle adjustment, but the left side is changed by taking the top of the link off and twisting it to lengthen the link. Remember that if you do this, your implement will not lift as high off the ground. However, you will be able to dig below ground level.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CJadamec View Post
    The blade on the box blade will only dig as deep as the side plates or ripper teeth let it go into the ground.

Once I've made a pass with the ripping teeth I can come back with the blade and it will dig right down to where the bottom of the ripper grooves.

In my brief time using the implement I've found the teeth do the digging work and the blade is just there for pushing and smoothing the loose dirt the teeth leave behind. The blade also does a good job of collecting the rocks that are kicked up.
    Yes but the blade sits below the side plates, so if the whole box blade was lower, or if was tilted forward enough to ride on the front rounded part of the side plate only, then the blade would be below ground level.

Lets say doing a job like scraping ice off an asphalt driveway kind of thing, so have the blade lower than the side plates to scrape the ice.

Frustrating for me to explain it all or take pictures since I am away from my tractor. (Or just flip around the draft links and get my answer lol)

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ddinham View Post
    I can't remember for sure when I had my 1025R, but I suspect you can change this by lengthening the lift links. My 4066R allows me to make such changes. The right side is controlled by a turnbuckle adjustment, but the left side is changed by taking the top of the link off and twisting it to lengthen the link. Remember that if you do this, your implement will not lift as high off the ground. However, you will be able to dig below ground level.
    Not too sure about how this works until I see my tractor, but I know I have the side link adjustment for left right to angle the implement (like to crown a road), and there are 2 smaller turnbuckles one on each side to control the sway or swing from side to side (I think they are even called sway links if I'm not mistaken?)

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast