• 1 Post By Randog
  • 1 Post By IndianaJim

Thread: 270b cover for the winter

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-12-2019 @ 12:44 PM
    Thanks

270b cover for the winter

Anyone find or know of someone selling custom fit covers for back hoes? Unfortunately I have to store my 270b out side this winter and I could cover it with a tarp but I would love to find something more custom fit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts
    You don't want anything that would trap moisture. Perhaps something like an inexpensive car cover that would breath.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:58 AM
    Thanks
    My pole shed project went out the window with a shoulder rebuild. All inside storage got put on hold.

I have been storing my 260 backhoe outside the last 2 years with no issues.

Locate a spray can of "fluid film". I found it at Walmart and Fleet Farm (local farm supply). I grease all the pins and then spray down the cylinder and spool controls. This stuff puts a greasy/waxy film on. In spring I wipe everything down with low vis on a clean rag. I coat the pin ends and grease fittings also. Then pickup a Tupperware or small plastic tote. I put this over the control levers to keep snow and water off the controls.

Is this ideal? No. Yah do what you need to do I guess.

Mine is due for pickling. I will try to post a couple pics when I get her done.
    North585 likes this.
    2016 1025R FILB: Loaded R4's - 72# Starters - 60" MMM - Mechanical lift - 260 BH - H120 - 53" bucket - Ballast box - 647 Tiller - JD 40 gal 3 pt sprayer
    2003 X595: R3's - 62C MMM - 3 pt hitch - 47" blower - 80 cart - Brinly 24x36 roller - Parker lawn sweeper - 10 suitcase weights
    1994 445: Sold
    2004 X485 AWS:
    Sold

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    I agree with both posters.
    You dont want to trap moisture, and you want to protect the important surfaces from moisture/corrosion.

I big cheap grill cover might work for keeping it somewhat dry. This time of year, you might be able to find one on clearance somewhere. I know the 270 is a bit larger than the 260, but the cover for my big Weber grill would cover most of the 260 without much trouble and its vented.

Fluid Film is a GREAT product. I have been using it for years for all sorts of things.
    Its a bit more work than just covering and hoping for the best, but its probably worth it in the long run.

Incidentally, I was just contemplating an outdoor storage alternative vs inside the garage.
    As long as you can keep the direct weather off of the stuff like rain and snow, they should be fine with minor preparation for some things. I considered just adding a sort of lean too off one side of the garage, with pallet racking, and side walls. The rain rarely comes from the side I was going to use, so it might be a good solution.
    I much prefer inside storage, but like the other poster said, you gotta do what you gotta do.
    North585 likes this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:35 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HelenaMT View Post
    Anyone find or know of someone selling custom fit covers for back hoes? Unfortunately I have to store my 270b out side this winter and I could cover it with a tarp but I would love to find something more custom fit. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know a guy who makes custom covers..... Interested?

Sincerely
    BadAss 2038R, R3s, R4s, Spacers, Eng & Tranny Heaters, LEDs, Cages, Fender Flares, Front Fenders, iMatch, Heavy Hitch, Hitch-N-Can, 800# Quick Tach Weights, 220R Loader, Single Point Hyd, 57" HD Bucket, WR Long Tooth Bar & 3rd Function Hyd, 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, 270B Backhoe, 72D MMM, Front 3 pt Hitch, 366 FMB Blade, PHD300 Post Hole Digger w\ Auger Set, LR2172 Landscape Rake w/gage Wheels, RB2072 Rear Blade, BB2072 Box Blade, AP12F Pallet Forks, EA 72" Pine Needle Rake, Fit-Rite TNT

8. The Following User Says Thank You to HomesteadJoe For This Useful Post:

HelenaMT (11-01-2018)

9. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements