Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How to get my firewood out of my woods

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    05-15-2015 @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks

How to get my firewood out of my woods

First please excuse my novice questions. Right now I have a lx178 lawn and garden tractor. My intentions are to make a path around my property. So I can get at my hardwood. I bought a cart/trailer that dumps to pull behind my lx tractor. I would like to do this with the least amount of work, " getting kind of old". I thought getting another tractor with just a loader and make the path big enough for that. Then load the wood in the bucket and bring it out that way. I saw a picture of someone using a JD compact with what looked like a fork lift in the back. And he was bringing out firewood with it. Is there such a thing? Right now I have an electric wood splitter in my barn, that works surprisingly well. Thought of hauling the wood out in the round and splitting it in my barn. That might prevent me from buying a gas splitter to bring in the woods. Thanks. felix.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 01:05 AM
    Thanks
    There are many options in using the a SCUT to haul fire wood.

1) just use the bucket
    2) buy a 3 point carry all and load on the back
    3) buy a fork attachment for the front and stack on a pallet
    4) buy a Big Tool Rack to haul your chain saw and gas out and wood back in.
    5) get a grapple and haul out whole logs

Check out the "What did you do with your Deere today" thread, some photos in there of wood hauling.
    Last edited by kabic; 02-10-2015 at 10:39 AM.
    Levi and BIGTOOLRACK like this.
    JD 1023E
    KK XB Tiller, XB subsoiler

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks
    I suspect that what you saw is called a "Carry-All".

Personally, I'd skip both the loader and Carry-All routes and get a logging arch. Instead of cutting to firewood length in the woods, drag them out in 8'-12' lengths and cut those up someplace easier.
    danmorea likes this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JimR For This Useful Post:

KD7CAO (02-11-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4

Last Online
    08-31-2018 @ 01:17 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    I suspect that what you saw is called a "Carry-All".

Personally, I'd skip both the loader and Carry-All routes and get a logging arch. Instead of cutting to firewood length in the woods, drag them out in 8'-12' lengths and cut those up someplace easier.
    With only what you have i would take the deck out and drag the wood or use a small trailer If you have $$ than a front loader with 3pt hitch would make it more easy job The log rite is nice if you have $$
    Levi likes this.

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:51 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by danmorea View Post
    With only what you have i would take the deck out and drag the wood or use a small trailer If you have $$ than a front loader with 3pt hitch would make it more easy job The log rite is nice if you have $$
    I suppose I should have mentioned that the LogRite is at the pricey end of those things.

You can find logging arches intended for use with ATVs for under $500. Or if you have some welding skills, there are plenty of plans available for them.
    Levi and danmorea like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

9. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    or do it like in the old days with log sled http://i383.photobucket.com/albums/o...m/IMAG1483.jpg
    Levi likes this.

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:18 PM
    Thanks
    I debated on whether to add to this thread or not. All good ideas already, but this is what I have done and what I intend to do.

First off, I don't have a working wood splitter, just an old homebuilt that belongs to my neighbor and is not currently working. I split all my wood by hand with a maul. Granted I only burn between 1-2 cords each year, so the manual splitting is just more exercise for me . That being said, I can split wood just about anywhere on my property with out electricity or towing a gas splitter.

When I only had a lawn tractor and trailer, I would cut and split my logs in my woods and load up the trailer. Take it to the storage area and stack. That way I only have to move the rounds one time to split, load and unload the split wood one time each.

With my SCUT with forks, I "intend" to build side rails on some pallets (I want to use plastic ones). Cut and split my wood in the woods and load it onto the pallets with sides. Then I can just pick up the pallets and place them wherever I want to for seasoning/storage then if needed move them closer to the house. With this method, I save the load and unload trailer bit of work. I have seen others on GTT do the same thing, so my ideas are not new.

Just my 2 cents.
    farmgirl19, Levi and danmorea like this.
    Tom

2011 1026R/R4's -- H120 FEL/49" -- 260 BH/12" -- Bro-Tek Ripper -- Artillian Forks/42" -- 244 lbs JD Rear Wheel Weights -- KBOH Hooks and Clevis' --
    Block heater -- 180* T-stat -- Evans HP Waterless Coolant

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    With my SCUT with forks, I "intend" to build side rails on some pallets (I want to use plastic ones). Cut and split my wood in the woods and load it onto the pallets with sides. Then I can just pick up the pallets and place them wherever I want to for seasoning/storage then if needed move them closer to the house. With this method, I save the load and unload trailer bit of work.

that is what i dobut i have a 3pt gas wood spliter
    Last edited by danmorea; 02-10-2015 at 01:51 PM.

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:23 PM
    Thanks
    We been cutting a lot of wood lately. Buddy's farm has a lot of standing dead ash, some oak,elm etc. we been working along the lanes dropping them and buddy has bracket on his skid steer forks that has a set of tongs on a swivel. He'll grap the tree, pick it up by the big end, we limb and top it in the woods and cut it 18-20 feet long. He pickes it up and puts it into dump trailer. Chain load down haul logs to our farm and dump them in one of the fields we plowed off. We will use my forks on one of my FEL and cut into lengths, split and stack into wood sheds we have at each house. The tongs on the skid steer works great.. We been cutting 4-5 loads on weekends, Ill get a pic this weekend of the tong set up. Works great if you have fork on something.
    Last edited by jdmich; 02-10-2015 at 03:27 PM. Reason: Fat fingered spelling
    Thanks Bob
    Fire trucks are Red/Tractors are Green

2005 JD 790. 419 FEL, Frontier Forks, 6' brush Hog, back blade,7'FEL Snowplow.
    1963 JD 4010. 7' Lucknow 3pt Snowblower
    JD 24T Baler
    JD 14T Baler
    2013 JD 825i-Cab,winch,led lights 6' Snowplow.
    1951 JD MT.
    2011 JD Z445

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    05-15-2015 @ 02:20 AM
    Thanks

Thumbs up Thanks for the sugestions

These kind of ideas is what I need to hear. The snow will melt soon I hope, and I will be out there with my chainsaw. Thank you all very much.
    farmgirl19 and danmorea like this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast