• 5 Post By buckteeth445
  • 3 Post By Ray_PA

Thread: Box blade question

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    03-10-2019 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks

Box blade question

Tried out my new to me box blade this evening. It does a great job but crowning the driveway leaves a curb on each side from gravel spilling out of the box blade. Does this mean I have the box blade angled too steep?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    blue87fj60, wentonbrown and PJR832 like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:26 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckteeth445 View Post
    Tried out my new to me box blade this evening. It does a great job but crowning the driveway leaves a curb on each side from gravel spilling out of the box blade. Does this mean I have the box blade angled too steep?

2 things could be your problem. Yes you could have it angled to much to the one side. Plus judging from the pic it looks like you have the right side of the tractor lower than the left on what you are grading? That will make the right side dig in more.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wentonbrown View Post
    2 things could be your problem. Yes you could have it angled to much to the one side. Plus judging from the pic it looks like you have the right side of the tractor lower than the left on what you are grading? That will make the right side dig in more.
    Just putting a crown in my gravel driveway. It is limestone. The last few rains have made it sloppy in some places where it had no crown.

wentonbrown likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks
    Just putting a crown in my gravel driveway. It is limestone. The last few rains have made it sloppy in some places where it had no crown.

Basically, when you angle the box blade, this is what will happen since you are cutting more material on that side. Essentially, you just have to stop occasionally and bucket some of the excess stone out of the way.

Once you get the crown that you want in your driveway, then for dress up work, you will run the blade straight since the tractor and blade will be on the crown so then you will just want the blade to be at the same angle as the tractor.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ray_PA For This Useful Post:

buckteeth445†(10-07-2018)

8. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray_PA View Post
    Basically, when you angle the box blade, this is what will happen since you are cutting more material on that side. Essentially, you just have to stop occasionally and bucket some of the excess stone out of the way.

Once you get the crown that you want in your driveway, then for dress up work, you will run the blade straight since the tractor and blade will be on the crown so then you will just want the blade to be at the same angle as the tractor.
    Makes sense. I think thatís what I was missing. I have a few lumpy areas to touch up this morning. Also I need to cut a couple of short drain ditches where water can flow off into the creek. Iíll angle the box blade for those then level it back out to smooth out in my turnaround area. Overall, the box blade is a superior tool to the back blade I was using before.

The slow rain we got yesterday and overnight helped keep the dust down and shows all the low spots where water pockets now pool up.

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks
    Makes sense. I think thatís what I was missing. I have a few lumpy areas to touch up this morning. Also I need to cut a couple of short drain ditches where water can flow off into the creek. Iíll angle the box blade for those then level it back out to smooth out in my turnaround area. Overall, the box blade is a superior tool to the back blade I was using before.

The slow rain we got yesterday and overnight helped keep the dust down and shows all the low spots where water pockets now pool up.

Yes they are. I have one but do not use mine hardly at all anymore since I paved my driveway. They are really nice when you have hydraulic top and tilt links. This makes there use so much easier since you can change the angle of cut and taper from the seat.
    BigJim55, PJR832 and buckteeth445 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements