Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: Best tooth bar for clearing land with a 1025R

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    02-23-2017 @ 03:09 PM
    Thanks

Best tooth bar for clearing land with a 1025R

I initially posted this question on TBN but figured since I have joined the rest of you greene blooded operators, I should really be asking here.

I just purchased a '15 JD 1025R TLB and am trying to determine which tooth bar I should purchase given my application. I have probably 1.5 acres of overgrown / not maintained woods. At one point it had all been clear cut and wasn't properly thinned as it grew back up. To make matters worse at some point someone introduced an extremely invasive bamboo species. All this said.. I need something to help me clear out lots of bamboo, virginia creeper, and pines varying in size. I have no issues cutting the pines out via chainsaw (I don't expect full sized tractor performance out of a SCUT).

The two bars I am currently considering are:
    North American Implements - Tooth Bar - NAI
    Bxpanded - BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar

It seems like Bxpanded's bar may do better at cutting bamboo; but NAI's seems like it'd do better at pulling/racking vining plant life. I have yet to request a quote from NAI but if anyone has any idea what we'd be looking at there I'd be interested to know. Also if anyone has had positive experience with another manufacturer please feel free to throw their name in the hat as well.

Thanks!
    BigJim55 and wentonbrown like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    This is what I'm going to be getting, BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar. I too have a lot of weeds and vines and berries. I also have a lot of rocks and need to do some digging, all of which most say this is the way to go. Plus it does a great job at back dragging. There is one other one out there that I can't think of the name right now but it straps to the bucket and also has teeth on the bottom to grab vines and such. This would be great except for the back dragging part. I wouldn't be able to make a smooth and level area if I wanted too. Hope this helps.
    5304, BigJim55 and wentonbrown like this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    I'm somewhat afraid of cracking a tooth or the whole bar with Bxpanded's bar. I like the way NAI's seems to have separate teeth that should be able to be individually replaced. Though I'm not sure that my fear is well founded...
    BigJim55 likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:21 PM
    Thanks
    Just my opinion but I think the NAI style are better for digging in rocky soil and the Piranha for things like clearing plants/trees.

The strap style that Levi mentions is, I think, the ratchet rake which I sort of view as a "Piranha lite"
    636mullet, Levi, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    01-22-2018 @ 08:31 PM
    Thanks
    I really think you would break something else on the tractor before breaking the BXpanded tooth bar. I haven't seen my tractor in two weeks, but I believe the bar is laser cut out of a single piece of 1/2" thick steel. Please take a look at this thread if you have any doubts: http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...53-bucket.html

Good luck on your decision!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to 5304 For This Useful Post:

OldmanX (02-12-2015)

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 PM
    Thanks
    This is the company I will likely be buying a tooth bar from. Bucket Toothbars

They say "lifetime toolbar", but I was unable to find out what that really means. They also say replaceable tips.

Dave
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

10. Top | #7
    Last Online
    06-29-2019 @ 12:07 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jklaus View Post
    I'm somewhat afraid of cracking a tooth or the whole bar with Bxpanded's bar. I like the way NAI's seems to have separate teeth that should be able to be individually replaced. Though I'm not sure that my fear is well founded...
    What Tonton said! My Piranah is one "honkin' piece of tough steel" and I don't believe a 10XX machine could break/bend it. I think one could herniate the FEL or bucket before that bar gets damaged. My only experience so far is with rocks and a few bushes, but working the rocks was enough to convince me I made a good choice for what I do with it.
    5304, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HydroHarold For This Useful Post:

Green Man (02-15-2015), OldmanX (02-12-2015)

12. Top | #8

Last Online
    04-11-2019 @ 10:17 AM
    Thanks
    I LOVE my piranha toothbar. I don't think you'd break it with a 1 series tractor.

I've cleared a TON of overgrown land, including taking out some 2-3" diameter trees (push them over with the tractor, put the bar under the tree and pry them out....works like a charm.) It does a fantastic job.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with it.
    5304, Levi and BigJim55 like this.
    -Scott-

2014 1025R - 60D 7-Iron MMM, H120 53" FEL/Ballast Box, Ken's hooks and Piranha toothbar, BB2048L Boxblade, 54" snowblade Quick-tatch w/full hydraulic lift/tilt.

You don't have to outrun the bear......just the other campers

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sstlaure For This Useful Post:

OldmanX (02-12-2015)

14. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,906 Times in 1,070 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimR View Post
    Just my opinion but I think the NAI style are better for digging in rocky soil and the Piranha for things like clearing plants/trees.

The strap style that Levi mentions is, I think, the ratchet rake which I sort of view as a "Piranha lite"
    Yep, that's the one I was thinking of.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1026R -- 60D mmm -- H120 Loader -- Curtis 150 Tiller -- DR 3 point Chipper -- Howse Middle Buster -- Brinly 16 Blade Disk -- Kodiak 5' Box Blade -- 12-42 lb. suitcase weights -- Lawn roller -- Upgraded seat springs from psrumors -- Kennyd's bolt on hooks & clevis -- BXpanded tooth bar -- CMI 6' wagon -- Heavy Hitch Cultivator /garden bedder / hiller attachments --

Donated by some great people/vendors on here: 72 lb. wheel weights -- Bro-Tek 1½" rear wheel spacers.
    NRA Life Member

15. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Alright gentlemen.. you have convinced me to go with the PTB. Since I have yet to receive, or even view (they're getting it from a partner dealer today - delivering tomorrow), my tractor what are the odds that it'd have anything other than the 48/49 (48.5") bucket? I assume its a certainty that it'll have the standard bucket but has anyone on here seen any TLB/FILB setups come with a non-standard bucket? The print out they gave me doesn't spec specific portions of the TLB package - just TLB + 60" auto connect deck. I'm not sure what the shipping time frame is like but it'd be great if I could have it Monday as I am off work.
    Levi and BigJim55 like this.

16. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast