60D Front Deck Mount Peeling Up Sod...Frustrated!
Like Tree17Likes
  • 1 Post By Tjim01
  • 3 Post By martincom
  • 2 Post By Tjim01
  • 3 Post By kylew
  • 1 Post By mbeconst
  • 6 Post By Tjim01
  • 1 Post By 12dbsinad

Thread: 60D Front Deck Mount Peeling Up Sod...Frustrated!

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    10-22-2018 @ 08:39 PM
    Thanks

60D Front Deck Mount Peeling Up Sod...Frustrated!

Hi Guys - Can someone tell me how to get the front of the deck to stop peeling up sod from this low mount? I believe everything is adjusted correctly...the front tires are set low enough I believe also, as they're peeling up sod also on some turns. My ground isn't the most level, but I don't understand why this mount on the front needs to be so low...about ready to get the torch out and shorten it up, lol.

BTW - Has anyone figured out a good replacement for the front deck wheels so they rotate and roll in the direction of travel? Another frustration....

Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	103.8 KB 
ID:	653174
    Last edited by Tjim01; 10-16-2018 at 04:31 PM.
    Herminator likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:28 AM
    Thanks
    A center anti-scalp roller would probably resolve your issue. They're much easier to add to the 54 deck, but I've seen at least one thread on this forum where a member added one to a 60. I don't have a link and all I can tell you is it does exist. So it'll require some patience and perseverance with search.

As to the outboard guide wheels, with their radius edges, I haven't had much of an issue. I don't think a swivel or caster like guide wheel will be any better, more than likely worse. My 455s had the 60 inch deck and the right front was a swivel. It would frequently "plow up" sod as it swiveled, when changing direction. The rear guide wheels on those decks were a taller wheel with no radius on the edges. If I tried to mow around something, like a tree, where the sod tapered up, they would rip it up quite a bit on the right angle edge of the rear guide wheel. It defeated most of the advantage to having AWS. I would have traded my 60 deck for a 54, which has the radius edge guide wheels, in a heartbeat.
    2017 1025R TLB & 2017 1025R FEL
    2*54 Mower Decks w/Independent Lift
    2*47 Snow Blowers
    2*Cozy Cab
    2*Heavy Hitch Receiver Hitch w/Dual Suitcase Weight Brackets, Storage Cart, & 1*Front Suitcase Weight Bracket
    50" Wicked Root Grapple
    Land Pride LR1560 Land Rake w/ wide gauge wheels & plow blade
    BXpanded Backhoe Dolly
    MCS20 Leaf/clippings hopper
    647 Tiller
    2001 455 AWS & 1999 455 AWS--Both Sold

4. The Following User Says Thank You to martincom For This Useful Post:

Tjim01 (10-22-2018)

5. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by martincom View Post
    A center anti-scalp roller would probably resolve your issue. They're much easier to add to the 54 deck, but I've seen at least one thread on this forum where a member added one to a 60. I don't have a link and all I can tell you is it does exist. So it'll require some patience and perseverance with search.

As to the outboard guide wheels, with their radius edges, I haven't had much of an issue. I don't think a swivel or caster like guide wheel will be any better, more than likely worse. My 455s had the 60 inch deck and the right front was a swivel. It would frequently "plow up" sod as it swiveled, when changing direction. The rear guide wheels on those decks were a taller wheel with no radius on the edges. If I tried to mow around something, like a tree, where the sod tapered up, they would rip it up quite a bit on the right angle edge of the rear guide wheel. It defeated most of the advantage to having AWS. I would have traded my 60 deck for a 54, which has the radius edge guide wheels, in a heartbeat.
    Thanks Much! I found the Anti-Scalp post and will something similar...not sure why JD didn't do something similar from the beginning!
    ColonyPark and Herminator like this.

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:44 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tjim01 View Post
    Thanks Much! I found the Anti-Scalp post and will something similar...not sure why JD didn't do something similar from the beginning!
    It's my understanding that front bar is there to be able to support the tractor during drive-over and not crush the blades or damage the spindles. Just be careful of that if you modify it.
    ColonyPark, W9GFO and Herminator like this.
    🌠Back in my day we had 9 planets🌠

2014 1025R TLB
    60D AutoConnect Mower●H120 Loader●260 Backhoe●BB2048 Box Blade●RB2060L Back Blade●RC2048 Rotary Cutter●JD 60" Quick Hitch Plow Blade●Ken's Bolt-on Hooks●Ken's Diff Pedal●Ken's I-Match Hook●Ken's Backhoe Steps●Titan 42" Forks w/Headache Rack●Titan Ballast Box●Titan Toothbar w/23WTL Tiger Teeth●3" Edge Tamers●BXpanded 6" Bucket, Ripper & Bucket Quick Change●This & That Mods●Other Stuff I Forgot About●

The Mrs. has 2014 X360

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    07-14-2019 @ 01:18 PM
    Thanks

I feel your pain...

Here was my solution. My lawn is now recovered.

1-Series 60D Center Anti-Scalp Roller
    Herminator likes this.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mbeconst For This Useful Post:

Tjim01 (10-22-2018)

10. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Well, after using the input of those that already posted their solutions, I completed my "fix" today. Haven't tried yet, but have no doubt it will work great. Also, drive over the deck while on concrete and the deck did not move one bit. Roller sits approx. 3/4" below the solid pad.

Tabs welded on:

Name:	IMG_0045.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	653864
    Completed assembly:

Name:	IMG_0047.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	653862

Thanks for your inputs.
    Kennyd, North585, Levi and 3 others like this.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tjim01 For This Useful Post:

130Oxbow (10-22-2018)

12. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:39 AM
    Thanks
    I've said to myself a million times...

A center deck roller, and swivel/lockable anti-scalp wheels on these decks and it would solve a LOT of cutting problems.

Apparently JD engineers NEVER use these decks on uneven lawns, or use them at all for that matter. It's pretty basic 101, and it's sad when you need to modify a 2K dollar mower deck.
    Levi likes this.
    2018 2025R, R4, 120R Loader, 260B backhoe, 60D AutoConnect MMM, Independent Deck Lift, 5' Tarter Rotary Cutter

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements