• 3 Post By The Satch
  • 1 Post By Roger47

Thread: Tiller question

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks

Tiller question

Just got a really good deal on a 6' Mahindra tiller but the rear flap is missing. A new replacement is about $350 so I'm wondering if using the tiller without the flap will affect it's performance?
    I know it's there for safety but isnt it also an adjustable feature that controls how "fine" you can chew the media?
    What are your experienced thoughts on using the tiller without the flap or a cheaper alternative for replacing the flap?
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 02:47 PM
    Thanks
    AC, I used my tiller....a 48" on a L&G tractor, but the principal is the same...for a few years in Connecticut where my ground was absolutely beautiful...rich, black, soil with no stones. I am now south of you in Athens Tn...where my "ground" is clay & stone! Both in CT & TN, 95% of the time my rear flap is up. I've never had problems with anything "flying out of the back of the tiller" where the rear shield may deflect it. As far as how fine you chew the media, my experience has show that ground speed determines that. The shape of the tines lead me to believe that there're not going to pick up the soil and recirculate it through the tines again. Could be my tiller or my lack of experience, can't say. I WILL say, if you've got a good deal on the tiller, get it! Bob
    BigJim55 and aclass like this.
    '80 317 w/18hp B&S and divert valve for rear hydraulics, 3 pt hitch, 5' york rake
    '82 314 w/rear PTO for tiller
    33 tiller
    49 thrower
    54 4 way blade
    Mod 48 deck & Mod 462 TracVac

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:10 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by aclass View Post
    Just got a really good deal on a 6' Mahindra tiller but the rear flap is missing.
    If you got a really good deal “because” the rear flap was missing, you didn’t get a really good deal. You’ll need that rear flap.
    PaDave, BigJim55, Marlin and 2 others like this.
    2016 2032R w/H130, 53" Bucket, Frontier AP12F Pallets Forks, 5’ King Kutter Rotary Tiller, TSC Carry-All, Engine Block Heater.
    2000 345 w/48c Mower Deck, Front Bumper, Halogen Lights, Governor at Max RPM. 367hrs
    1990 Push Mower, electric start, rear bagger.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    06-17-2019 @ 01:42 PM
    Thanks
    Just got a really good deal on a 6' Mahindra tiller but the rear flap is missing. A new replacement is about $350 so I'm wondering if using the tiller without the flap will affect it's performance?
    I know it's there for safety but isnt it also an adjustable feature that controls how "fine" you can chew the media?
    What are your experienced thoughts on using the tiller without the flap or a cheaper alternative for replacing the flap?
    On my old tiller, the flap down leaves a better looking finish. I think it also helps to break down the clumps better, depending on soil type.

Are you handy at all? Don't take this the wrong way. If you or a friend can do it, get a couple of hinges and a chunk of something flat, like plywood for example, and fashion your own flap. That way you won't have much invested and can see the difference in running with it up or down.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:24 PM
    Thanks
    Yea, I agree, you'll want that rear flap eventually. Check with the local fab shop for a price but $350 might be hard to beat considering the OEM will be painted and fit as designed.
    3520, Sicma 74 tiller, 12Kw PTO gen, 72"auto connect deck, 300cx FEL, 61"HD w/JD toothbar & 6ft snow pusher, JD Ballast box w/Extension, Land Pride FDR-2584 finish mower,

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    Id think a decent fab shop could build you one for considerably less.
    I used to sell one for the 42" hydraulic tiller made from 1/8" steel instead of the sheet metal thing that came with it. It was around $100, and I wasnt giving them away.
    The last one I made was 48" wide, and about the same cost.

Now, I didnt roll the end like some of the larger ones have, but if it costs you more than $150-200, something is very very wrong.
    PaDave, Marlin, Herminator and 1 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

9. The Following User Says Thank You to IndianaJim For This Useful Post:

Herminator (10-21-2018)

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    08-22-2019 @ 08:44 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies.
    I've thought about making one but finding the material(other than plywood) is the toughest part.
    Marlin, Herminator and PJR832 like this.
    2016 3039R 165FEL / Woods RM660 / Fimco 40gal 3pt / Frontier 1060 Aerator / Frontier subsoiler / 3 pt spreader / HLA pallet forks / 6ft blade / 6ft Lucknow 3pt snowblower / $50 boom pole that never gets used anymore

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    I've thought about making one but finding the material(other than plywood) is the toughest part.
    I was only suggesting plywood for a cheap test to see the difference with and without the flap. Then you can decide if it's worth the $$$$ for the OEM part. Sorry I was not more clear.

Another though is you could get a couple of 24"x36" mud flaps. A rattle can of paint if desired.
    Marlin and Oscar Leroy like this.

12. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 01:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger47 View Post
    I was only suggesting plywood for a cheap test to see the difference with and without the flap. Then you can decide if it's worth the $$$$ for the OEM part. Sorry I was not more clear.

Another though is you could get a couple of 24"x36" mud flaps. A rattle can of paint if desired.
    A plywood flap will not give a good indication of what a proper flap will do.

One of the main functions of the flap is to break up clods and smooth high spots. They way the flap manages that is with weight. A quality tiller, like the JD 665, has a very heavy rear flap, and the roll of the bottom edge helps it leave a smoother finish, though I would think that is less important than the weight. A cheaper tiller will have a thin gauge flap which is ok for debris deflection, but wont do squat as far as finishing the tilled soil.
    Marlin, Herminator and PJR832 like this.

13. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by The Satch View Post
    A plywood flap will not give a good indication of what a proper flap will do. They way the flap manages that is with weight. A quality tiller, like the JD 665, has a very heavy rear flap, and the roll of the bottom edge helps it leave a smoother finish, though I would think that is less important than the weight. A cheaper tiller will have a thin gauge flap which is ok for debris deflection, but wont do squat as far as finishing the tilled soil.
    Geez Louise. Weight is easy to add. This ain't exactly rocket surgery.
    PJR832 likes this.

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements