Asphalt and snow, best removal implement?
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree113Likes

Thread: Asphalt and snow, best removal implement?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    01-16-2019 @ 12:37 PM
    Thanks

I bought a new property this year and a new 1025r to go with it. I’m looking for the best and/or most economical way to remove snow. I want to add that I’m in the Midwest and we may get one or two big snows a season. My driveway is about 150 yards long and paved in asphalt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by manderson6741; 10-20-2018 at 07:42 PM.
    wentonbrown and Ropie like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    07-07-2019 @ 09:17 AM
    Thanks
    Not sure if it will work for your situation but I use Edge Tamers for plowing my concrete and gravel driveway.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	83C2C887-C8EC-47A2-A587-379291E64083.jpeg 
Views:	42 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	653600
    Last edited by Fade2Blk; 10-20-2018 at 08:10 PM.
    mjncad, Kennyd, North585 and 3 others like this.

John Deere 3038E
    300E Loader / 61” Bucket
    BXpanded Piranha Tooth Bar
    iMatch Quick Hitch
    FRONTIER Grooming Mower GM3060
    Titan Attachments CAT 1 Ballast Box
    Land Pride Back Blade 7’
    CountyLine Box Blade 6’
    CountyLine York Rake 6’

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 06:10 AM
    Thanks
    A plow is the best and fastest. I have a 1025r and just purchased a CTA loader mounted 66” plow. I had a x728 before this with JD 54” 4 way plow and what I didn’t like about it besides being too narrow is all the low hanging attachment parts that froze up and could hang up if you were trying to pile snow up.

Blowers can be worthless in heavy wet snow. Two of my neighbors were unable to use their snowthrowers in storms last year that started out as rain then added 12” of heavy wet stuff on top. I had no trouble plowing myself and them out with my little plow.
    BigJim55, keane and wentonbrown like this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-20-2019 @ 06:26 PM
    Thanks
    I have been plowing my drive and 2 of the neighbors drive with just the bucket. No edge tamers. We like to have bare asphalt. The edge tamers are a great product but I don't have a need for them. Part of my drive is gravel and if it is to soft then I wont plow it or i just hold the bucket up a few inches. If our all wheel drive car or 4x4 truck can't make it thru a few inches of snow on top of gravel then we need to stay home! Lol I do the same for the grass areas too. I just keep the bucket up.

This year I bought a 6ft plow for a John Deere from a guy and my Titan plate that I am going to attach it to will be here Monday. I wanted to be able to speed up my plowing but not give up the availability to stack the snow up high. With the plow I will be able to do that and still keep the asphalt as bare as possible.

Good luck!
    ColonyPark and PJR832 like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:11 AM
    Thanks
    I have a 54 blower and a 54 blade. I've found there are some snows more suited to the blade (light and/or wet) and some are more suited to the blower (heavy, dry, drifted). And some snows you really need both at different points in the cleanup. I modified my hydraulics to make switching between the two implements very fast. Please see this post for details.

If you are trying to choose between the blower and the blade, remember that you can get both for an incremental cost of just the blade, which really isn't that expensive. They might even throw in the blade if you buy everything else. The quick hitch works with either one, and you have to buy it even if you'll only have one. The blade is also handy for landscaping. With the blade locked, I've used it for leveling areas and removing 4-5 inches of dirt in an area I was going to place rock landscaping. Don't forget a synthetic edge for the blade and synthetic shoes for the blower if you want to protect your driveway surface.

After 30 years of using a blade for snow removal, I'm pretty good at it. But using the snow blower is exhilarating. Bringing the engine up to WOT and diving into a big snow bank, watching the rooster tail of snow shooting out of the blower. I don't even mind when the wind shifts and I end up wearing the rooster tail. Photo here.
    Last edited by keane; 10-20-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: Added second and third paragraph.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-28-2019 @ 11:07 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportshot2 View Post

Blowers can be worthless in heavy wet snow. Two of my neighbors were unable to use their snowthrowers in storms last year that started out as rain then added 12” of heavy wet stuff on top. I had no trouble plowing myself and them out with my little plow.
    I have a hard time with that one! I have used many different snow blowers (push, self propelled push, Gravely "Dog Eater", single and 2 stage) in every kind of snow this area can produce and none of the blowers failed to clear snow off dirt, gravel or pavement. One HAS TO learn how each snow blower works in each kind of snow condition. Sometimes it's only 1/4 of a pass at a time and fast travel and sometimes it's full width and slow travel, etc. Give up on a blower here in the 21st Century...? I don't think so, it's just such a waste of money!

The BEST blower I've had/used in the last 60 years is the "primitive but simple" single stage 42" on my GX335. From 4" of wet gray slush to 2+ feet of layered rain/sleet/snow/sleet/ice... It took it all. Used to "try" to clear parking lot and roads where I worked with a JD310A loader, long messy going until we put a modified Fisher plow on the bucket and the snow went like it was supposed to. My 1026r/54"plow/wings/rubber edge sits quietly on the sidelines in bigger snows. Just too much backing and banging on a diagonal to get the entire driveway pushed back. Blower puts it back plenty far with very little maneuvering or backing up. Needless to say the town plow berm at driveway's end will slow down a blower, but it will dispose of it nicely.

Just get out there with them blowers and "Learn, Grasshoppers"!

I only wish JD would make a 54 single stage for SCUTs, I'd be at the dealer tomorrow for one!
    mjncad, Gizmo2, fdmars and 6 others like this.
    2013(12) 1026r TLB 54 QH front blade, 54D Auto Connect deck, ballast box, carryall

'04 GX335, 48C, Johnny Bucket Jr., PowerFlow W/7bu. bagger, 42 snow blower, 48 Plow, JD front dethatcher, 10 Cart, Little-Brown Henway, Stihl 026P/20", Stihl 241/16", Stihl BG 85 blower, Stihl KombiMotor 110 w/string trimmer/brush cutter/edger/pole saw/hedge trimmer, Snapper 21" WB, Snapper 8/24 snow blower

"...and visions of green CUT sugarplums dance in his head..."

NRA Life Member

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 05:04 AM
    Thanks
    I think a front mounted snowblower is the way to go with small tractors. I have had my 1026/54” blower since 2011. I have moved all types of snow with it. The only time it plugged up is when I moved a 6’ pile the town plow left behind because the truck couldn’t push it any farther.

Plows are great if you have somewhere to push the snow to. I find when using a plow or loader you end up plowing a larger area and end up with some lawn damage as you need to push the snow back off the driveway.
    HydroHarold and PJR832 like this.
    Eric

2011 1026R / H120 / 60D auto-connect, independent-lift mmm / 54" snowblower / 4' KK Pro rotary mower / KK 4' tiller

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:53 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HydroHarold View Post
    I have a hard time with that one! I have used many different snow blowers (push, self propelled push, Gravely "Dog Eater", single and 2 stage) in every kind of snow this area can produce and none of the blowers failed to clear snow off dirt, gravel or pavement. One HAS TO learn how each snow blower works in each kind of snow condition. Sometimes it's only 1/4 of a pass at a time and fast travel and sometimes it's full width and slow travel, etc. Give up on a blower here in the 21st Century...? I don't think so, it's just such a waste of money!

The BEST blower I've had/used in the last 60 years is the "primitive but simple" single stage 42" on my GX335. From 4" of wet gray slush to 2+ feet of layered rain/sleet/snow/sleet/ice... It took it all. Used to "try" to clear parking lot and roads where I worked with a JD310A loader, long messy going until we put a modified Fisher plow on the bucket and the snow went like it was supposed to. My 1026r/54"plow/wings/rubber edge sits quietly on the sidelines in bigger snows. Just too much backing and banging on a diagonal to get the entire driveway pushed back. Blower puts it back plenty far with very little maneuvering or backing up. Needless to say the town plow berm at driveway's end will slow down a blower, but it will dispose of it nicely.

Just get out there with them blowers and "Learn, Grasshoppers"!

I only wish JD would make a 54 single stage for SCUTs, I'd be at the dealer tomorrow for one!
    I have a 54" front mount snow blower and I can tell you from experience, in 4" of wet heavy snow, don't waste your time putting it on, since it blocks up more than not. Now, if you have enough snow to keep the blower full of snow, then it won't block up.
    In my part of the country, a snow blower is an expensive novelty. A front mount blade is by far the single best snow removal tool in most snows.

I have a front mount blade, front mount snow blower and front mount broom. I use the broom most of the time. I have used the snow blower twice since 2013 and one of them I could have easily used the front mount blade.

IMO, the most economical, single snow removal tool, you cannot beat a front mount blade, rear ballast and tire chains if you plow a hill.
    HydroHarold, SulleyBear and PJR832 like this.
    JD 1025 TLB (2013) ** 60D 7 Iron MMM w/auto-connect ** H120 FEL** 260 BH ** 54" snowblower ** 54" blade ** 52" Front Broom ** Ken's Bolt on Hooks ** Frontier BB2048L box scraper ** County Line 5' landscape rake ** JD Hydraulic Dump MCS ** Artillian Forks w/36" Forks ** JD 3 - Point Ballast Box ** JD I-Match Quick Hitch ** Heavy Hitch front Weight Bar ** Heavy Hitch 3 Point Weight Bar ** Fimco 40 Gallon Sprayer ** EA Aerator ** FitRite Hydraulics Rear SCV ** 12 - 40# suitcase weights

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    10-19-2019 @ 08:24 PM
    Thanks
    I have been using both since 1995 and the blower gets 90-95% of the use. When I only had the 445, the blower was used exclusively and the plow sat idle, just was not worth the effort to change over. Now with the two tractors, the 1026R gets the blower and the 445 gets the plow. Again, some winters the 445 is never used. As for plugging the chute, I just use chute shovel my dealer sold for the Arins line. The blockages mostly happen when I come to the end of the run and the slush is no longer being pushed out, again this is mostly along the road where the salt has melted the crap. I find it easier to unplug the chute rather than going back to the barn and cranking the 445 up and getting dressed for the cab less work. It does get cold with out a cab.
    Last edited by Sundancer268; 10-21-2018 at 10:01 AM.
    HydroHarold and pappa like this.
    1994 JD 445 with 54" MMM
    2012 JD 1026R with FEL, 54" MMM, I-Match, King Kutter 4' Flex Hitch Rotary Kutter L-48-40-P-FH, JD Ballast Box.
    47" Snow Blower, 54" Front Blade, Fits Both Tractors Quick Hitch
    Tektite Cab to the 1026R

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Today @ 05:47 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,149 Times in 979 Posts

I live in a lake effect snow area and have all asphalt and concrete surfaces.

I have used a front blower with a rear blade for many years. If the OP doesn’t get that much snow, I’d use a front blade and maybe at some point add a rear blower for the occasional bigger snows and drifts.
    North585, jgayman and PJR832 like this.
    Jamie

2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast