• 3 Post By jgayman

Thread: 2520 / 2720 Snow Blower Remote Spout Control poor design

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:26 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,659 Times in 1,257 Posts

2520 / 2720 Snow Blower Remote Spout Control poor design

Several years ago when I installed the remote spout control kit for the 54" blower on my 2720 I was very disappointed with the way JD decided to mount the support bracket. As you can see in the photo below they chose to mount the tall heavy support bracket on the flimsy foot rest extension. No matter how careful you are when using the remote spout control T-handle, the foot rest always flexes back and forth. I figured the tiny spot weld on the inside mounting tab would be the first to go. I was wrong.

Today I was tinkering with the tractor and noticed that the metal tab on the inside mounting bolt on the foot rest has cracked. It's not surprising given the amount that whole area flexes each time you touch the remote control handle.

Why they assumed the thin little foot rest extension was appropriate for that big bracket will remain a mystery. Given that JD *only* wants $108 for that little green piece of tin which of course will break again means that I'm going to have to scratch my head to see if I can fabricate a small support bracket to beef-up that inner mounting tab.

I was temped to try to weld it but the metal on the tab is extremely thin and welding it is only going to burn up the paint surrounding the area and the little tab will likely just break again later in a different spot.

I'll post photos of whatever I come with once I figure it out.

Anyone else experience a similar problem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB2E2294.jpg   AB2E2301.jpg   foot_rest.jpg  
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:45 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,100 Times in 2,263 Posts
    This surprises me also - the foot deck on our tractors is made to flex - rubber mounted. Add all the vibration involved.....

Have you thought about an electric actuator? I've seen a few on the forum here.
    Kennyd and tj1 like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    05-07-2019 @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Can you sandwich another piece of metal on the bottom to help it out? Just a thought, Dave.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:36 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,081 Times in 2,547 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    That's exactly the "fix" I would pursue
    coaltrain and tj1 like this.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by coaltrain View Post
    This surprises me also - the foot deck on our tractors is made to flex - rubber mounted. Add all the vibration involved.....

Correct. The main foot deck rides on little rubber bumpers but these foot rest extensions are bolted solidly directly to the subframe under the floor boards.

Yes, I have thought a LOT about an electric actuator. Not only would it solve this problem but it would also be much easier installing and removing each fall/spring.
    tj1 likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveX730 View Post
    Can you sandwich another piece of metal on the bottom to help it out? Just a thought, Dave.
    I believe so. My current plan of attack is to cut a .100" thick piece of aluminum plate large enough that it covers the area under the bracket and is secured with the same three bolts that secures the bracket. The plate will then have a little extension that goes over top the existing tab and is secured with the existing bolt. I *think* it will cure the problem but I won't really know until I fab it up. I can think of various medieval solutions but I'm trying to remain cosmetically friendly.

The good news is that this foot rest is secured with three easy-to-access bolts with captive threads on the undercarriage and there is open space in front of the foot rest. I was worried at first that there was a nut lurking under the tab that would have required disassembly of the center console to access. The JD engineers screwed up and made it easy. :-)
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I had a chance to fab up a bracket. If it holds up this winter maybe I'll paint it. Although you really can't see it very easily unless you are under the tractor.

I was able to use the existing holes and mounting hardware. I had a small piece of 0.100" aluminum left from a previous project. I know it's not fancy. The fabrication tools were limited to a hacksaw, flat file and a drill. :-)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2253.jpg   IMG_2254.jpg   IMG_2256.jpg   IMG_2257.jpg  
    Kennyd, coaltrain and Toughsox like this.

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements