• 2 Post By jdforever
  • 5 Post By Herminator

Thread: Wheel weight compatibility

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks

Wheel weight compatibility

Just wondering about compatibility. I have a 1025r and am curious about fitting weights from a different tractor. I have seen weights for older garden tractors (jd 318) for good deal on Craigslist. Sellers just list rim size and are not willing to measure bolt holes. Havenít found much info online about compatibility being a thing. Can anyone speak for this ?
    Thanks all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    1025r 60d and h120 with bucket. Quick hitch with barbell and weights for ballast.
    Purchased 3/11/2017

Forks soon. Blade for the loader. Rio mod.
    So much fun to be had!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    12" weights are the same for all Deere tractors with 12" rear wheels, meaning the 1025, 1026, and all garden tractors with that size rear wheel.
    The Starter Weights are also the same, with one exception, and that is the 400. The older 400 used Starter weights that appear to be the same as the new ones, but they lack the small 2" diameter recess of the newer weights. This recess is necessary for use on the open frame 300 and 400 series. The recess is for the threaded axle to fit into.
    Other models might require it too, but those are the ones I know for sure.

I personally prefer the cast iron to filled tires or the concrete filled plastic weights. They last longer than the concrete, by far, without damage, and they are easier to remove than fluid from tires should you want to lighten the load.

Weights from some other manufacturers will work too, as most use the same style wheels, with mounting holes in the same location. I cant comment with 100% certainty about off brand weights though.
    Last edited by IndianaJim; 11-01-2018 at 12:49 PM.
    Levi, keane, Herminator and 2 others like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    12" weights are the same for all Deere tractors with 12" rear wheels, meaning the 1025, 1026, and all garden tractors with that size rear wheel.
    The Starter Weights are also the same, with one exception, and that is the 400. The older 400 used Starter weights that appear to be the same as the new ones, but they lack the small 2" diameter recess of the newer weights. This recess is necessary for use on the open frame 300 and 400 series. The recess is for the threaded axle to fit into.
    Other models might require it too, but those are the ones I know for sure.

I personally prefer the cast iron to filled tires or the concrete filled plastic weights. They last longer than the concrete, by far, without damage, and they are easier to remove than fluid from tires should you want to lighten the load.

Weights from some other manufacturers will work too, as most use the same style wheels, with mounting holes in the same location. I cant comment with 100% certainty about off brand weights though.
    Thanks for your input.
    I kind of assumed with the tire size of JD they would work. I too like the cast iron but they are pricey and hard to find. My dad let a pair go with a 314 a few years ago. Still looked immaculate. I am building my ballast ďcollection ď Iíve been using a barbell for a while but itís awkward. I have a heavy hitch and 3 42# weights to start. Next spring Iíll pickup 2 70# and one more 42. If I can round all of that out with wheel weights I would be much more happy doing loader work.

Levi, Herminator and JD4044M like this.
    1025r 60d and h120 with bucket. Quick hitch with barbell and weights for ballast.
    Purchased 3/11/2017

So much fun to be had!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PickupMan View Post
    Thanks for your input.
    I kind of assumed with the tire size of JD they would work. I too like the cast iron but they are pricey and hard to find. My dad let a pair go with a 314 a few years ago. Still looked immaculate. I am building my ballast ďcollection ď Iíve been using a barbell for a while but itís awkward. I have a heavy hitch and 3 42# weights to start. Next spring Iíll pickup 2 70# and one more 42. If I can round all of that out with wheel weights I would be much more happy doing loader work.

Barbells! WOW! I think that is a very resourceful use of barbells until you aquire more weight. Post some pics. I would like to see that.
    Herminator and JD4044M like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    Barbells! WOW! I think that is a very resourceful use of barbells until you aquire more weight. Post some pics. I would like to see that.
    Haha. Well I donít claim to be brilliant. But every once in a while..... below is me moving my new to me work bench I bought at an auction for 70$ 2x6 sitting on 4x4s construction with 1/4 steel plate on top! hello new bench to learn welding on!

I believe itís around 250# far from adequate but my student loan payments ALMOST match my mortgage payment each month. So you can see how that cuts into tractor attachment budget. Itís also why ďmy JohnnyĒ is not a tlb :-(

Purchased 3/11/2017

So much fun to be had!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PickupMan View Post
    Haha. Well I donít claim to be brilliant. But every once in a while..... below is me moving my new to me work bench I bought at an auction for 70$ 2x6 sitting on 4x4s construction with 1/4 steel plate on top! hello new bench to learn welding on!

I believe itís around 250# far from adequate but my student loan payments ALMOST match my mortgage payment each month. So you can see how that cuts into tractor attachment budget. Itís also why ďmy JohnnyĒ is not a tlb :-(

I love it!
    Herminator and JD4044M like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:07 PM
    Thanks
    wieght is weight and not tipping over is a good thing. We all start somewhere and frankly that is a good solution.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    10-08-2019 @ 10:12 PM
    Thanks
    That actually brings up another good point to be made.
    There are some steel barbell weights that match the inner diameter of the wheel, or close enough anyway.
    If you have a steel recycling place nearby, stop and see if they have any. Most times you can buy them for whatever scrap is selling for, which is pretty darn cheap.
    Sometimes you can find them at garage sales too.
    Like Herminator said, weight is weight. As long as you can securely attach it, who cares what its made of or what it looks like?

Sometime this Winter I plan to crawl around under my 2025 and take a bunch of measurements and see if I cant find a way to add a large steel plate, or several plates, to the frame.
    Anything I can add that low will help in any off kilter situations, and aid traction all the time.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    That actually brings up another good point to be made.
    There are some steel barbell weights that match the inner diameter of the wheel, or close enough anyway.
    If you have a steel recycling place nearby, stop and see if they have any. Most times you can buy them for whatever scrap is selling for, which is pretty darn cheap.
    Sometimes you can find them at garage sales too.
    Like Herminator said, weight is weight. As long as you can securely attach it, who cares what its made of or what it looks like?

Sometime this Winter I plan to crawl around under my 2025 and take a bunch of measurements and see if I cant find a way to add a large steel plate, or several plates, to the frame.
    Anything I can add that low will help in any off kilter situations, and aid traction all the time.
    Nice. And protects that axle a little

Purchased 3/11/2017

So much fun to be had!

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements