Bucket level indicators that work all the way up and down. Also with forks.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Bucket level indicators that work all the way up and down. Also with forks.

  1. Top | #1

    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 06:09 AM
    Location
    Estill, SC
    Posts
    24
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Bucket level indicators that work all the way up and down. Also with forks.

    John Deere 3038e d160 fel. I have had a rod that indicates level all the way down. Iím looking for something to indicate level where ever the forks or bucket is. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks Dave


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    DeereWimberley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagerman64 View Post
    John Deere 3038e d160 fel. I have had a rod that indicates level all the way down. Iím looking for something to indicate level where ever the forks or bucket is. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks Dave


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    My high-tech bucket level indicator that I had been developing went idle after last input from Ken. Been busy doing other things in the mean time. I did start a major re-design a couple of weeks ago.

    Let me ponder my available time--maybe I will assemble the previous design and send it to you in exchange for a serious review.
    Kennyd, mark02tj and johncanfield like this.
    JD 3032E
    D160 Loader
    WR Long 3rd Function Valve
    Titan Ballast Box
    Titan Pallet forks
    Compact Tractor Attachments 50" Grapple
    Gator TX

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to DeereWimberley For This Useful Post:

    Kennyd†(11-01-2018)

  5. Top | #3
    Plug Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    553
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 98 Times in 76 Posts
    Basically you want an indicator that works like an MSL loader works? Or some kind of spirit level affair? Since the back of my bucket is at an angle and my forks are 90į where they hook to the loader, I have a mark on the level rod for the forks. My loader is MSL, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.
    johncanfield, PJR832 and JD4044M like this.

  6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  7. Top | #4

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:46 PM
    Location
    Berlin, MA
    Posts
    4,676
    Thanks
    95
    Thanked 880 Times in 674 Posts
    Hmmm.... I'd consider using something like a Inclinometer with a remote display. Something like this:

    Angle Tilt Sensor/Inclinometer with Remote Display- Pendulum type: Dial Calipers: Amazon.com: Industrial Scientific

    You could find "zero" on your bucket and forks, mark them and attach the read head with a magnet (so that you could move it between loader functions). That thing isn't waterproof so I'd remove it and store it when it isn't actually needed. It'd be a 30 second thing to put back on once you had the positions marked.

    For $50 it'd be worth trying IMO.
    Kennyd and Rope_Chucker like this.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

  8. Top | #5
    DeereWimberley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:39 PM
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    118
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 27 Times in 16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
    Basically you want an indicator that works like an MSL loader works? Or some kind of spirit level affair? Since the back of my bucket is at an angle and my forks are 90į where they hook to the loader, I have a mark on the level rod for the forks. My loader is MSL, so I've got that going for me. Which is nice.
    My design calibrates to any angle on power up. Attach the sensor (magnet), turn it on. Whatever angle the sensor is reading is calibrated to zero.

    My initial design used a sensor and a readout communicating over bluetooth. Cost too high--batteries on both ends, charging circuitry on both ends...

    Second design, tethered the sensor over a four-wire cable. Only one battery in that system but a wire between the bucket and the mainframe was required.

    Third design...readout and sensor on one unit mounted to the bucket. Requires that you can see at least some portion of the bucket while working.

    Once you start pondering, waterproof, charging intervals, visibility, harsh environment...non trivial stuff.

    The circuit architecture is trivial.

    Here is a video of an early version. bucket level demo wired - YouTube
    Last edited by DeereWimberley; 11-02-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    Kennyd, BigJim55, mark02tj and 1 others like this.
    JD 3032E
    D160 Loader
    WR Long 3rd Function Valve
    Titan Ballast Box
    Titan Pallet forks
    Compact Tractor Attachments 50" Grapple
    Gator TX

  9. Top | #6
    Plug Ugly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:18 AM
    Location
    NE Iowa
    Posts
    553
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 98 Times in 76 Posts
    Yeah, I think I'd copy the mechanical linkage on an MSL loader and make one part of the linkage adjustable for implement attachment variations. I'm a simple man.
    BigJim55 likes this.

  10. Top | #7
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,072
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hagerman64 View Post
    John Deere 3038e d160 fel. I have had a rod that indicates level all the way down. Iím looking for something to indicate level where ever the forks or bucket is. Any and all suggestions appreciated. Thanks Dave
    I hope you don't mind me asking a very silly question. Why do you need to know if the bucket (or forks) are level when the boom is up in the air? When on the ground makes sense because folks often want to grade and scrape parallel to the ground so having a level indicator is important.

    But when up in the air... do you really need the bucket level? If you have a load of material you normally DON'T want the bucket level or else you will be spilling material.

    And if using forks you also typically don't want the forks level as you could risk dumping the load. When handling most loads with forks you always want the load tilted back slightly so it doesn't tip forward and fall off. The amount of tilt varies with the load but it is always very easy to determine by sight.

    Just curious....
    coaltrain and JD4044M like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  11. Top | #8
    jdforever's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:54 PM
    Location
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Posts
    1,839
    Thanks
    478
    Thanked 477 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I hope you don't mind me asking a very silly question. Why do you need to know if the bucket (or forks) are level when the boom is up in the air? When on the ground makes sense because folks often want to grade and scrape parallel to the ground so having a level indicator is important.

    But when up in the air... do you really need the bucket level? If you have a load of material you normally DON'T want the bucket level or else you will be spilling material.

    And if using forks you also typically don't want the forks level as you could risk dumping the load. When handling most loads with forks you always want the load tilted back slightly so it doesn't tip forward and fall off. The amount of tilt varies with the load but it is always very easy to determine by sight.

    Just curious....
    I've been wondering the same thing.
    JD4044M likes this.
    Greg

    Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

    2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

  12. Top | #9
    johncanfield's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:39 AM
    Location
    Texas Hill Country
    Posts
    576
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 81 Times in 55 Posts
    That's a very good question.

    For me, knowing bucket level is only important at or near ground level unless I'm using the bucket to unload something from the bed of my truck, but even then it's not critical. When using forks, that's a whole different matter - I've unloaded stuff from a semi trailer and I would love to have a precise level indicator. A tiny movement of the loader joystick results in a mega movement at the ends of the forks. It's a bit embarrassing to have the driver give hand signals for fork placement
    coaltrain and JD4044M like this.
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck. 1998 Komatsu D39P-1 dozer (size of a Cat D5, sold)

  13. Top | #10
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:16 PM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,072
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,667 Times in 1,263 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncanfield View Post
    That's a very good question.

    For me, knowing bucket level is only important at or near ground level unless I'm using the bucket to unload something from the bed of my truck, but even then it's not critical. When using forks, that's a whole different matter - I've unloaded stuff from a semi trailer and I would love to have a precise level indicator. A tiny movement of the loader joystick results in a mega movement at the ends of the forks. It's a bit embarrassing to have the driver give hand signals for fork placement
    Even with forks I think you're better off with eyeballs. I've off loaded several semi trucks with my 2720 and Artillain forks and it was always just a matter of aligning the forks to the pallet openings. A bigger issue for me was always side tilting as usually the semi would pull off the side of the road and the trailer wouldn't always be level side to side.

    I will agree that you REALLY need to feather the SCV joystick to get smooth slow movements of the forks. If you've ever ran a REAL forklift you will realize just how clumsy the hydraulic controls are on the tractor.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts