• 3 Post By Ranchhand
  • 2 Post By trohrer

Thread: Talk to me about bushings

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 11:33 PM
    Thanks

Talk to me about bushings

So I'm new to tractors with my 1023e. I am also a 58 yo woman. Now I am not using that as an excuse, because I have tons of tools and do most things around my place by myself. But I do not understand bushings. I installed an I match on my tractor and just got my Jakes Rake. It needs bushings because it fell off my I match. What do I want in a bushing ? They come in so many diameters and sizes, I am confused! Any information would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:33 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,132 Times in 2,575 Posts
    I will answer with some links from a Google search of the site (top right corner), this is a very commonly asked question.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...uirements.html

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...2412-99-a.html
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:06 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchhand View Post
    So I'm new to tractors with my 1023e. I am also a 58 yo woman. Now I am not using that as an excuse, because I have tons of tools and do most things around my place by myself. But I do not understand bushings. I installed an I match on my tractor and just got my Jakes Rake. It needs bushings because it fell off my I match. What do I want in a bushing ? They come in so many diameters and sizes, I am confused! Any information would be appreciated.

Here is the bushings I get from my local JD dealer. Maybe a little more expensive, but I know they are going to work. You may still have to get a top bushing, but as best I remember the top bushing included will work. The bottom bushings have a roll pin included that you have to drive through the bushing and pin with a hammer to hold it in place. Make the picture bigger and you can see the part number.

If I can be of further help, let me know.

Dave

Bushings
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	iMatch bushings.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	1.52 MB 
ID:	40254

Here is a picture of them on a brush hog that I sold so you can see how they fit.

Name:	brushhog1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	764.0 KB 
ID:	40255
    etcallhome, Levi, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    JD 4066R CAB
    JD H180 FEL with SSQA brackets, JD iMatch, JD Ballast Box & ext, JD pull behind seed spreader
    Frontier RB2196H 8 ft rear blade/hyd angle, Frontier BB1065 Box Blade, Befco 3pt 110 inch RFM
    48" pallet forks, KK 3pt Boom Pole, Northern Tool 3pt middle buster, 2 bottom Dearborn plow
    County Line post hole digger, Rhino 3pt 10ft brush hog, Land Pride 8ft rock rake
    Fit Rite Hydraulics 3pt Top Link, front 3pt adapter for SSQA, 7 1/2 ft Field Roller, 8ft Dearborn tandem disk

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ddinham For This Useful Post:

Kennyd (02-14-2015), rtgt (02-15-2015)

6. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

7. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:06 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranchhand View Post
    ........................ I do not understand bushings. I installed an I match on my tractor and just got my Jakes Rake. It needs bushings because it fell off my I match. What do I want in a bushing ? They come in so many diameters and sizes, I am confused! Any information would be appreciated.

Ranchhand, let me see if I can help you. I too am kind of new to this. I'll share what I've learned. Like you, I have a similar situation. I just bought a Speeco brand Quick Hitch for the back of my 1025R. The install was very straight forward, 3 pins and it's on.

Name:	z71.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	301.3 KB 
ID:	40277

Attaching my JD ballast box was another matter. Not hard, I just needed a couple of things.

The standard size of the lower pins on my ballast box are 7/8" and the bushings that were included with my Speeco QH slip over the pins and are held on by roll pins, also called spring pins. They make the outside diameter 1 1/2". The right size to fit nicely in the lower hooks of the Speeco QH. The lower bushings look like this installed...

Name:	z1.JPG 
Views:	30 
Size:	245.3 KB 
ID:	40273

That's half of what I needed... My Speeco QH came with no bushings to improve the fit of the top end of my ballast box. A trip to my local farm store solved my problems.

I picked up another top link pin, Cat 1, 3/4" x 2 3/4", a lynch pin, and a couple of bushings. Mine came in a 2-pack, but some places sell them individually.

Name:	z2.JPG 
Views:	29 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	40275

Name:	z3.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	40276

Name:	DSCF9992.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	248.5 KB 
ID:	40278

The bushings make the too small 3/4" diameter top link pin larger. The Cat 1-2 bushing takes it from 3/4" up to 1" outside diameter(OD). The Cat 2-3 bushing makes it 1-1/4" OD. The right size to fit in the top hook of the Speeco QH. The label is wrong on the Cat 1-2 package. The bushing is 1-15/16" long not the 1-5/16" it says.

When the pin and both bushings are installed in the pin hole of the ballast box, it looks like this...

Name:	z4.JPG 
Views:	34 
Size:	153.2 KB 
ID:	40279

Think of the bushings as nothing more than spacers to improve the fit...
    Any added cost to set up each implement with the right pins/bushings is easily off set by the huge convenience of back up, lift, latch and go.

I hope this helps.
    2014 1025R, H120 loader w/53" bucket and Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar, 54" Auto Connect MMM, 47" QH snow blower, Ballast box and loaded rear tires, Speeco Quick Hitch, Ken's Bolt-on Grab Hooks, King Kutter Carry All, 54" front QH blade w/Heavy Hitch skids, Titan 36" pallet forks, Land Pride GS0560 Grading Scraper, and chrome (kitchen drain pipe) exhaust tip!!

1950 Allis-Chalmers B, Electric start, PTO, Belt Pulley, Hydraulic pump. Stuck engine (a work in progress)

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ErikR For This Useful Post:

dieselshadow (02-15-2015), etcallhome (02-15-2015), Gizmo2 (02-15-2015), KD7CAO (02-16-2015), Kennyd (02-15-2015), Levi (02-15-2015), rtgt (02-15-2015)

9. Top | #5
    Last Online
    04-07-2016 @ 11:33 PM
    Thanks
    Thanks Kennyd the pics really help. Now I can go shopping with a little more knowledge under my belt.
    etcallhome, Levi and BigJim55 like this.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    11-03-2019 @ 08:54 AM
    Thanks
    Ranchhand I would also recommend the extended bushings. I have a few sets from TSC. They were real handy getting my non JD tiller connected to my non JD imatch. There is a whole section of cat 1 pins and bushings at TSC, Rural King, etc.
    etcallhome and Ranchhand like this.

11. Top | #7
    Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 10:22 PM
    Thanks
    This helped me too. I do not have an iMatch yet but have been eyeing them. Just don't have enough implements to justify the cost yet. Tiller, box blade, and brush hog all from different manufacturers and wasn't sure it would work well with an iMatch.
    2014 John Deere 1025R, 54D MMM, H120 Loader, 647 Rotary Tiller (purchased new from dealer April 2014)

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements