Best attachment for picking big rocks?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree103Likes

Thread: Best attachment for picking big rocks?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    10-16-2019 @ 01:05 AM
    Thanks

Best attachment for picking big rocks?

I bought a EA 60" single lid grapple and it works really good for picking rocks. Smaller ones fall thru, but for the big ones it works great. Last thing we tried was my JD pallet forks one notch apart and it works awesome! You can dig out rocks it cant even pickup, just slide them out of the way.

These are 2' to 3' diameter size.

You folks got any better ways? Always willing to try something better.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Thanks
    You can only pickup rocks as big as your machine can lift, regardless of the tool on the loader...

I’ve picked some 2-2.5’ rocks with just the single center grapple on my 2032r-it was quite a tippy ride from where I got them to their current resting spot!

I’ve not tried to dig up, move or push anything bigger.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 4 others like this.
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 09:14 AM
    Thanks
    I had a HUMUGUS pile of rocks after a 900ft driveway was made thru the woods at our house.
    I moved them all with a 4610 and a CTA grapple and made about 500-600 ft of rock wall.
    The CTA grapple has 1/2 holes in the bottom jaw of the grapple. I ran 4 or 5? 1/2 steel rods thru it and then I could hold about 2-3" rocks in the grapple.
    If the grapple could get around the rock for a good grip I could lift it.
    Some of the larger ones I used a strap around the rock when the grapple couldn't get around it.
    One large rock, which the wife named the "Egg Rock" I just pushed into place. Was about 4ft long and about 3 ft across.

I use the same grapple on my 2720 now, I can still lift a pretty good sized rock and its fairly easy to pop them out of the trails in the woods when they are sticking up too high.

For moving larger rocks (basket ball or bigger), the grapple is the ticket.
    '06 JD 2720, FEL, Flail Mower.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I was referring more to this size and bigger. This rock was in a 30 year old gravel driveway with 6"s sticking above ground. I have a 73" heavy bucket and it took 4 heaping buckets to fill the hole.

The pipe in the holes is an excellent idea. The EA grapple has laser cut holes on every tooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20181013_152251407.jpg  
    Last edited by wardlake; 11-05-2018 at 02:43 AM.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by balrog006 View Post
    You can only pickup rocks as big as your machine can lift, regardless of the tool on the loader...

I’ve picked some 2-2.5’ rocks with just the single center grapple on my 2032r-it was quite a tippy ride from where I got them to their current resting spot!

I’ve not tried to dig up, move or push anything bigger.
    Not necessarily... The EA grapple only weighs 300 some pounds. I found with pallet forks (actually heavier than grapple) you can stick them under the rock and pick the front tires off the ground and when you curl the bucket you get the front end weight plus the hydraulic pressure. Then you back up and it gets the rears light and pops them out. The advantage with the pallet forks is you can work on one rock. Grapple is 60" wide so you get half a dozen at a time. Our hunting ground is mostly trap rock so you can walk most anywhere in the 34 acre woods on rocks and never touch the ground. As far as ballast, I have a heavy hitch on IMatch and 16 weights so about 850#s Plus 840# of Beet Juice. Still picks up back end.

Thank You for your reply! I really appreciate it...
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 3 others like this.

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 638 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wardlake View Post
    I bought a EA 60" single lid grapple and it works really good for picking rocks. Smaller ones fall thru, but for the big ones it works great. Last thing we tried was my JD pallet forks one notch apart and it works awesome! You can dig out rocks it cant even pickup, just slide them out of the way.
    What model tractor and what brand forks are you using?
    - Phil -
    *Spinner Free* LT160 Garden Tractor
    *Spinner Free* 3320 eHydro - 300CX Loader - 72" HLA SnowPusher 2500 - TSC Post Hole Digger - BB2172 Box Blade
    *Spinner Free* John Deere 26G Compact Excavator - 18" HD bucket - 30" ditching bucket - PA15B 12" planetary drive auger
    Ken's Bolt On Grab Hooks - Artillian 42" Forks - Edge Tamers

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:15 AM
    Thanks
    I was referring more to this size and bigger. This rock was in a 30 year old gravel driveway with 6"s sticking above ground. I have a 73" heavy bucket and it took 4 heaping buckets to fill the hole.

The pipe in the holes is an excellent idea. The EA grapple has laser cut holes on every tooth.
    Here we call those boulders.
    Mike

Sometimes I'm only funny to myself.

300, 140, 318, 430, 314, 110. Brinly plows, disk, 80 cart, couple of 49 blowers, 3 54 blades, 33 tiller, tilt dump MCS, HPX Gator, CS Gator, Model A. Struck MD 750 w/bucket and hoe.
    Drew's Performance: We screwed the last guy so we can pass the savings on to you.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:09 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,557 Times in 1,277 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDrew View Post
    Here we call those boulders.
    Yes sir, here we call them, "better go get the 2555"
    MDrew, Levi, BigJim55 and 5 others like this.
    Pat
    #compactfarming
    2025R W/120R FEL/Titan 36" Pallet Forks w/round bale spears/Ken's Bolt on Hooks / 72" moose plow / Kawasaki Mule(The Donkey) 610xc w/ Warn winch
    60D Auto Connect w/mulch kit and Gator G6 blades
    County Line- 48" Tiller & middle buster
    Frontier- BB5048L & DH1066 & RC2060
    JD iMATCH
    Homemade cultivator/hiller/chisel plow
    Heavy Hitch Tooth Bar
    Watch the 2025R on YouTube:
    Elk Creek Acres

11. Top | #9

Last Online
    Today @ 06:25 PM
    Thanks
    Not necessarily... The EA grapple only weighs 300 some pounds. I found with pallet forks (actually heavier than grapple) you can stick them under the rock and pick the front tires off the ground and when you curl the bucket you get the front end weight plus the hydraulic pressure. Then you back up and it gets the rears light and pops them out. The advantage with the pallet forks is you can work on one rock. Grapple is 60" wide so you get half a dozen at a time. Our hunting ground is mostly trap rock so you can walk most anywhere in the 34 acre woods on rocks and never touch the ground. As far as ballast, I have a heavy hitch on IMatch and 16 weights so about 850#s Plus 840# of Beet Juice. Still picks up back end.

Thank You for your reply! I really appreciate it...
    I stand by my statement, with any given implement on the loader you can only PICK UP as much as your machine will lift. I agree though, some things (forks) might give more leverage than a grapple. But your statement about your grapple being 60” wide and that changing or limiting the size or number of rocks it can grab is regulated to those fixed width grapples unfortunately. My Artillian is modular and I can operate a single grapple section about 16” wide-they’re much more efficient at picking up single and smaller rocks in that configuration!
    2004-L130

2013-2032r, Curtis Hard side cab (project), H130 FEL & 61"bucket, Artillian Modular Grapple on HD frame with Diverter, 2300# Artillian frame w/ 36" x 3" tines, 46BH 9" & 13" bucket, Frontier RB1060, HLA 1000 series 60" JDQA Snow plow, JD ballast box, RK QH, Homemade 3pt multi purpose hitch, 117W of extra LED lights on ROPS and side Brush guards, Ken's bolt on hooks-3x, Ideal Knife grooved R-4's.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by OxPath View Post
    What model tractor and what brand forks are you using?
    3033R tractor and Frontier FP-12 E series forks. E series work with 2,3,4 and 5 series tractors. Rated at 3900#s roughly. 48" tines and over all width is 50" when we pick rocks we slide them together just off center. Center is open on the bottom for removing forks.

Forks on different project:

8' x 12' bridge. 2x8 green treated top. with 3 - 12' x 6" x 6" green treated beams on each side and one in the middle. In between the timbers I put 1/8" x 6" flat steel and drilled 3/4" hole all the way thru and bolted them with ready rod. bridge weight estimated at 1500#s.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20180922_155355863.jpg  
    Last edited by wardlake; 11-05-2018 at 09:17 PM.
    Levi, OxPath, BigJim55 and 1 others like this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast