Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Need Suggestion for Fork Lift Attachment

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-12-2019 @ 03:25 PM
    Thanks

Need Suggestion for Fork Lift Attachment

I have a task that is hard to describe. I need to be able to tip over and then dump IBC totes (cages) full of lightweight compost material.

I'm trying to use straps to first tip on its side, then reattach and lift the bottom to dump and empty. But the straps slip when I try lifting and the forks tilt, etc. The whole heavy bin comes sliding toward me. It then gets too close for me to be able to tip and dump.

Anyway, this is hard to visualize. And I'm looking for something I can attach to various points on the cage, lift it, and keep it away from the tractor. I saw something like this online. Does anyone know of something similar, and where I could get something like this shipped to Hawaii. Anything bigger and too much heavier is going to get expensive.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 6.49.01 PM.png   Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 7.04.13 PM.png  
    Last edited by konakid; 11-05-2018 at 11:06 PM.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Artiliian Forks and Dolly
    Back Hoe
    BXpanded Thumb and BH Dolly
    x300

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:53 PM
    Thanks
    Drill a bolt hole in the end of your fork tip. You can then bolt the chain/strap ect to the tip.
    mjncad, Levi, Oscar Leroy and 1 others like this.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 01:30 AM
    Thanks
    Maybe watching various YouBoob videos of guys casting aluminum from their homemade foundries using various crucible tongs they've fabricobbled together will give you some ideas.
    I have more ideas than ambition.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 08:03 AM
    Thanks
    I'm trying to visualize what you're describing. I think I have it, but...

If you already have a set of forks on your tractor, can you pull your forks in under the tote (in the "standard" holes in the bottom of the tote) and then ratchet strap the tote to the fork frame. Then, you should be able to lift the tote and then curl your FEL forward so that the contents of the tote dump out.

I know that on my FEL, I can curl forward far enough that the forks are at a greater than 90 degree angle to the ground so the contents should spill out.

Can you post a picture of your setup, with your forks curled as far forward as possible, so we can have a look at this?

====================

Do you need to empty the totes on top of an existing pile? Or can you just dump the contents on the ground? If you can just dump the contents, can you just set the tote on the ground, use the tips of the forks to tip the tote over on its side and then use them again to flip it upside down? Then you could put the forks in the tote-holes and lift the tote off the pile of compost material? If you needed to then make a bigger pile, you can quickly switch from the forks to the bucket and pile it up.

Again, pics would be helpful.
    mjncad, North585, Levi and 1 others like this.
    '05 JD 3520 Open Station w/ 300CX FEL
    Grandpa's '52 Farmall Cub
    A couple of old Gravelys
    Help a Vet and his dog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mark02tj For This Useful Post:

konakid (11-06-2018)

8. Top | #5

Last Online
    Yesterday @ 12:27 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post

If you already have a set of forks on your tractor, can you pull your forks in under the tote (in the "standard" holes in the bottom of the tote) and then ratchet strap the tote to the fork frame. Then, you should be able to lift the tote and then curl your FEL forward so that the contents of the tote dump out.

I know that on my FEL, I can curl forward far enough that the forks are at a greater than 90 degree angle to the ground so the contents should spill out.

Can you post a picture of your setup, with your forks curled as far forward as possible, so we can have a look at this?

====================

Do you need to empty the totes on top of an existing pile? Or can you just dump the contents on the ground? If you can just dump the contents, can you just set the tote on the ground, use the tips of the forks to tip the tote over on its side and then use them again to flip it upside down? Then you could put the forks in the tote-holes and lift the tote off the pile of compost material? If you needed to then make a bigger pile, you can quickly switch from the forks to the bucket and pile it up.

Exactly what I was thinking, unless I am misunderstanding what exactly it is you are trying to do.
    Levi and Herminator like this.
    1025R TLB
    42" Artillian pallet forks
    6 ft Steel Express snow pusher
    2048L Box blade
    OTC cab
    54" JD snow blower
    RB2072 Rear blade
    Pat's Easy Change 3 pt hooks
    Agri-ease rear quick hitch
    Woodland Mills WC46 wood chipper

9. Top | #6
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 11:15 PM
    Thanks
    If this is something you do often you can look at a system like this.

https://www.uline.ca/Product/Detail/...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    mjncad, Levi, mark02tj and 1 others like this.

10. Top | #7

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JD4044M View Post
    Drill a bolt hole in the end of your fork tip. You can then bolt the chain/strap ect to the tip.
    I considered that, but was afraid that since I use the tips of these forks a lot for digging up gnarly lava rock, I was afraid I might mess up the end if I put a big hole out there.
    Levi likes this.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Back Hoe
    x300

11. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks

the

Quote Originally Posted by mark02tj View Post

====================

Thanks for all the help from everyone. If my tractor were larger and my land more lever, I believe that would work. However, neither situation is going to change any time soon.

I need to dump these in many different locations around this very rocky and hilly property. Because of the topography, handling capacity loads like these, "higher up," is scary going. And to dump these things (if tied to the forks), the loader arms would have to be pretty high. But even if that were a possibility - my 1025r barely gets these things off the trailer - and once off I can't raise them more than a few inches off the ground.

But I can lift/tilt from the bottom with a strap (since I'm not lifting all the weight) and lay it on its side. Problem is that if I do this it gets halfway to the balance point and then wants to "bang" down the rest of the way. And these cages are not built to take sideways torque or pressure like that. Plus, no matter how I configure the forks/straps they slip/slide down close to the tractor and the tipping method won't work. Sometimes the cage will actually bang into the front of the tractor if the strap slides all the way down.

So, I think I can do a two step tilt on the ground technique if I could keep the point of lifting out away from the tractor. And because I never would have to lift the full weight (because the cage would always be partially on the ground) it would work. In addition, the cage would never be experiencing the full weight of the load in a sideways direction - always partially supported by the ground one way, and lifting force the other - in what I would hope would be a smooth easy motion.

Here's the bins - fully maxed out for a 1025r.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3781.jpg   IMG_3782.jpg  
    Last edited by konakid; 11-06-2018 at 04:14 PM.
    Levi likes this.
    Learning By Asking
    1025r
    Back Hoe
    x300

12. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 06:18 AM
    Thanks
    You can do a 2 strap lift and roll it over. Part of it is leave the strap on top longer and some room between the tractor so you can roll forward some to help control the drop part. Your forks are your best friend for tipping it over, as you can use straps at the top to control it while you lift and tilt down to roll it over. Wish I could show you what i mean but I don't have forks or 1 of those cages to show you how i would do it. I ran big commercial forlifts and used to unload those and carry them from loading docks or wherever. Especially when the one computer place we were adding onto their little forklift wouldnt go in the snow or across our jobsite to a loading dock we made temp for them. They were filled with acid. Couldnt drop them or it would have been very bad!

You didnt say what you have on the back as counterweight? A pic of your setup would help too. Then we could offer some better advice?

Anyway, not sure if that helped or not.
    Good luck!
    WB
    mjncad, North585, Levi and 1 others like this.
    1025r with FILB, 60MMM, BH
    Frontier BB48
    County line 5ft rake
    Ken's seat springs
    BH steps
    My design cab step
    WR Long Flat toothbar
    Titan JDQA with 6ft plow

13. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:05 PM
    Thanks
    You can't hook to the cage on an ibc tank. It's simply not strong enough and the individual bars will start breaking apart at the welds. You need to hook the very bottom, like in the fork pockets, to help tip them over.
    mjncad, Levi and wentonbrown like this.
    - 2002 John Deere 4510 TLB PR,
    -Woods BB60X 60" rotary cutter
    -Countyline box blade,
    -Allis Chalmers sickle mower,
    -RED windrow rake,
    -titan 48" 3000 pound forks/bale spear
    - Farm Star rear bale spear

Yamaha Rhino 700, Yamaha Rhino 660,
    Murray 624 mower/38" deck

14. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com