Cat 0 tiller conversion to cat 1

Thread: Cat 0 tiller conversion to cat 1

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    08-15-2019 @ 06:34 AM
    Thanks

Cat 0 tiller conversion to cat 1

Hi all. I have a JD4300. I bought an older MF4850 tiller from a neighbor for basically scrap weight. I was wondering if I can convert the tiller to fit my tractor? I know I can do the pins and such, but is there anything I would need to do to the gear box or yoke? I would love to be able to use this rather than fork out $1000 for something I am just going to use for small food plots and around the yard. Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    It appears to be a 540 rpm tiller, but Id double check that to be sure.
    If it is, it should also have a standard PTO shaft. You might need a different length shaft, but otherwise should be good, if it does indeed turn out to be a 540 rpm tiller.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    It appears to be a 540 rpm tiller, but Id double check that to be sure.
    If it is, it should also have a standard PTO shaft. You might need a different length shaft, but otherwise should be good, if it does indeed turn out to be a 540 rpm tiller.
    Thanks Jim. Where do you find the PTO rating for it? I cannot find any info for a MF4850 or Snapper 4850 tiller. Thanks.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    I started on Google, searching "Massey 4850".

You have to do a bit of reading, but here is one where they mention, in the very last post, that its 540
    Massey 4850 Tiller - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

There were a ton of different threads about those tillers here and there, and from a quick read, I found that there were two versions. It seems there may have been, though I cant confirm, two versions, a 540rpm and a 2000rpm. The post above references a manual that stated the Cat 0 was always 540.

There has to be a way to check this by hand, by rotating the shaft and counting the revolutions of the tiller, but Ive got no clue how to achieve that without knowing its working RPM.
    If you knew what the tine rotation speed was supposed to be, you could check it with a tach if it were hooked to your tractor, but I dont know of another way to figure it. Someone else here might.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    I started on Google, searching "Massey 4850".

You have to do a bit of reading, but here is one where they mention, in the very last post, that its 540
    Massey 4850 Tiller - MyTractorForum.com - The Friendliest Tractor Forum and Best Place for Tractor Information

There were a ton of different threads about those tillers here and there, and from a quick read, I found that there were two versions. It seems there may have been, though I cant confirm, two versions, a 540rpm and a 2000rpm. The post above references a manual that stated the Cat 0 was always 540.

There has to be a way to check this by hand, by rotating the shaft and counting the revolutions of the tiller, but Ive got no clue how to achieve that without knowing its working RPM.
    If you knew what the tine rotation speed was supposed to be, you could check it with a tach if it were hooked to your tractor, but I dont know of another way to figure it. Someone else here might.
    Yes, I have been trying to search and read when I can. I just got the tractor last year, so I am still learning. Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it! I will continue to search and see what I can find out. I may go back to see it, I know they have a metal tag on it, maybe it will be of some reference.

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements