Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: seeking advice for small spray bar, Gator

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-14-2018 @ 03:43 PM
    Thanks

Post seeking advice for small spray bar, Gator

Looking for some advice on building a yard sprayer.

I plan on using the HF20 gallon 12 volt electric pump sprayer, then I would like to plumb it to a spray bar. I plan on using this on a John Deere Gator. The tank, and pump are easy. Assuming 20 gallons is ok for small 16,000 sq feet of grass? I live rural. A few fill ups per application isnt a problem.

What I'm having a hard time with is finding a spray bar itself. Need something like 4 feet wide that can apply fertilizer ect.

I dont want to spend a ton of money because the set up is only going to be used maybe 3-4 times a year, residentially. I only found one spray bar on amazon, and it looks like crap.

I can do some light welding... If I found a bar I was going to try to fab something up to hold the bar from the rear trailer hitch on the gator.

A guy at work mentioned to just use misting nozzles from water misters used in hot places like Arizona but i dont think that is the right tool for the job. Plus id have to make a entire bar ect. looking for something a little more pre-packaged ready to go, that i can tweak for the gator.

So if any of you guys have a set up on your tractor im open to mount suggestions as well as finding / sourcing a bar.
    Last edited by SouthLake; 11-13-2018 at 01:40 PM.
    2000 4x2 Gator

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:24 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,097 Times in 2,260 Posts
    North585, arlen, BigJim55 and 2 others like this.
    ~Stan~
    It is what it is
    Knowledge is power, ignorance is bliss
    2520 w/200CX w/62D2

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    I like that because its so compact. Indoor storage is at a premium in the shed where the gator lives. Can you apply fertilizer and pesticides with a single point nozzle like that? seems like the output would be too high?
    2000 4x2 Gator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthLake View Post
    Looking for some advice on building a yard sprayer.

I plan on using the HF20 gallon 12 volt electric pump sprayer, then I would like to plumb it to a spray bar. I plan on using this on a John Deere Gator. The tank, and pump are easy. Assuming 20 gallons is ok for small 16,000 sq feet of grass? I live rural. A few fill ups per application isnt a problem.

What I'm having a hard time with is finding a spray bar itself. Need something like 4 feet wide that can apply fertilizer ect.

I dont want to spend a ton of money because the set up is only going to be used maybe 3-4 times a year, residentially. I only found one spray bar on amazon, and it looks like crap.

I can do some light welding... If I found a bar I was going to try to fab something up to hold the bar from the rear trailer hitch on the gator.

A guy at work mentioned to just use misting nozzles from water misters used in hot places like Arizona but i dont think that is the right tool for the job. Plus id have to make a entire bar ect. looking for something a little more pre-packaged ready to go, that i can tweak for the gator.

So if any of you guys have a set up on your tractor im open to mount suggestions as well as finding / sourcing a bar.
    The last spray bar I built was out of PVC pipe and you can buy the spray heads either at a farm store or online. You can even get the spray angles correct for ideal coverage as long as you use the real spray nozzles, it should work just fine. Here are the spray heads I am talking about. You need to get the correct size for your supply hose and that your pump can handle. This is just an example of the spray heads.

CountyLine Elbow Nozzle with Diaphragm, For 3/4 in. Dry Boom Sprayer, Pack of 2 at Tractor Supply Co.

Two spray heads with a good pump will provide a spray coverage area 12 to 15 feet wide without much problem. I would limit myself to 2 spray heads on the boom as more than that will likely exceed the pump capacity on the HF20 sprayer.

Make sure to try things such as the ideal spray bar height based upon the pump used and nozzles. I would trial fit everything with temporary methods as you likely will have to make adjustments to the bar height, angles, etc. so you don't want to make things permanent until you have tried it first.

I have built two or three spray rigs everything from being mounted in a rear carrier platform which slides into a 2" hitch to building brackets to hang off the older tractors rear mounting systems before the newer click and go. It just takes some trial and error to get it right. I would suggest trying to hang the spray bar right off the tank to make it one unit for handling. Just set the tank at the back of the gator and secure it and fill and go.

20 gallons for 16,000 sq feet should be adequate. When I spray broad leaf control and such chemicals my 45 gallon sprayer will just cover 45,000 sq feet.

You are going to need a two position valve so you can direct the flow from the pump to either the spray bar or the hand wand. If you go to a Tractor Supply or similar store, they have a section with all the fittings and valves, etc. you will likely need. Just make sure to keep your supply lines the same size as the hose to the hand wand on the sprayer or the pump likely won't be able to feed larger diameter hoses with multiple spray heads.

I personally avoid liquid fertilizer as it isn't as long lasting and it's not cost effective for my needs. While I do mix up spray tanks full of "Miracle Grow" and such for the flowers when planted in the spring, I don't use liquid fertilizer on the lawn. It's a personal choice and I am sure there are some who do use liquid fertilizer through their sprayers for lawns, etc. You also have to be careful about burning the lawn with too much concentration of some fertilizers. That's another reason I prefer the granular fertilizer as it tends to consistently release the fertilizer amounts to best meet the needs of lawns and grass.

The first sprayer I built in a hurry, I used the sprayer nozzles from the hand spray wands from a couple of old, cheap sprayer I was throwing away. I just cut the sprayer wand and inserted the tips into the spray bar hose on each end. So there are a lot of ways to do it.

Just make sure that the pump can handle the volume to run a sprayer bar or it will be a disappointment.

Also, take a look at the spray bars and you can build one to match for far less than they sell for. They are mostly PVC pipe, rubber hose, some inexpensive valves and hose clamps. For example, this kit for $150 you could likely source together for well less than half that price.

Fimco 2-Nozzle Boom Kit at Tractor Supply Co.

It gives you an idea of the fittings, valves, etc that you need........
    North585 and JD4044M like this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:21 AM
    Beautiful beaches, moderated summer heat and lake effect snows. Right where I want to be.
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,546 Times in 1,427 Posts
    You are going to need to know your average speed you actually drive and the pump flow rate through the nozzle to determine application rates etc. There are many threads which get into using smart phone apps, etc to determine these things...
    JD4044M likes this.

1025R with Mauser Cab
    (10/2017)/ 120R FEL / RC2048 Mower / All of Ken's Bolt on Products / 60" HD Front Broom / 3 pt 45 Gallon Boom less Sprayer / CA2068 Core Aerator / I-Match / 54" Snow Plow w/ angling Quick Attach / Frontier 3 Pt Sprayer / Pallet Forks / 8 -42# Weights

John Deere 455 (New in 9/1996) / MC519 Cart /60" MMM /47" Snow Thrower / 7'3" snow plow / Quick Hitch /
    4 -42# Weights / JD#10 Cart

ExMark Lazer Z w/60" Deck , Billy Goat Blower , Full Stable of Echo Products

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 10:32 AM
    Thanks
    Look at Fimco. I use a modified ATV sprayer from them with a 10 foot folding boom. I am sure you can buy the boom separate. When I clicked on their website it appears they also have non-folding booms which would be less money I’m sure.

FIMCO Industries - The Best Built Sprayers In America. Period.
    North585 and JD4044M like this.
    Welcome to Intermission.

2017 2038R, 400, 3020 & HPX and thingies to hook to the them.
    112 - Sold in July 2017 but took me until November to admit I just cast it out into this cruel world.
    #compactfarmer

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 10:13 AM
    Thanks
    I will be doing this same thing this winter. Just in my head I was thinking I need, a valve to switch from wand to boom, a tee, some rubber hose, couple of nozzles, flat stock aluminum for the boom and hangers to hang boom from tailgate. So now its a race to see who gets it done first, hahahaha. good luck to you I will post pics when I do mine.
    Herminator likes this.
    Tractor (2038R) with stuff.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    many thanks to everyone who posted info here, all of it very helpful.
    haha good luck Jason, keep your progress posted i'll do the same
    RacenJason likes this.
    2000 4x2 Gator

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:25 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Herminator View Post
    Look at Fimco. I use a modified ATV sprayer from them with a 10 foot folding boom. I am sure you can buy the boom separate. When I clicked on their website it appears they also have non-folding booms which would be less money I’m sure.

FIMCO Industries - The Best Built Sprayers In America. Period.
    I bought the 65 gallon Fimco UTV boom sprayer a few months ago with the optional 50' hose reel. I am extremely disappointed with the design, engineering and quality of the entire system. I won't go into details but the issues touch virtually every part of the system aside from the plastic tank itself.

Aside from the quality and design issue, it's a complete PITA to load in the back of the Mule and unload. If I leave it in the bed of the Mule, then I loose the utility of the UTV. I'm temporarily going back to my Fimco 20 gallon sprayer with just the hand wand but I'm shopping for a towable boom spray rig with a gas engine to run the pump. This way I can just hook it up and pull it when I need to spray and unhook when I'm done.

This is the spray rig (Wylie) I'm looking at but I don't have a price on it as yet, probably $3 or $4k depending on options
    2010 Model 4720 with cab and H180 loader, MX8, MX6, Frontier BB1172 box blade, forks, bale spear, rear blade, WR Long grapple and tooth bar, Fit Rite Hydraulics top and tilt. 2019 Bobcat E42 excavator with cab & several attachments. 2019 Deere Z945M EFI ZTrak 60" 7 Iron Pro deck.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Have to thank you guys for saving me a trip to HF and the frustration of having to make something, since ive learned these come as complete units...

I found this one at Northern Tool I think it's the best fit. $260 and done. I like that the spray bar is low to the ground, and will be narrower than the rear wheel width of the gator.

The product I am going to apply is only a gallon per 1000 sq ft.. I think I will attach a much longer hose to the wand for spot treating areas close to the house.

NorthStar Broadcast and Spot Sprayer with 2-Nozzle Boom— 26-Gallon Capacity, 2.2 GPM, 12 Volts
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...6349_200726349

I'll just set it right in the back of the gator (without the wood)

Last edited by SouthLake; 11-14-2018 at 03:43 PM.
    blue87fj60 likes this.
    2000 4x2 Gator

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast