Modded 54" Snownlower shoes.......
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By mikdor
  • 1 Post By jgayman
  • 4 Post By jgayman

Thread: Modded 54" Snownlower shoes.......

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 05:53 PM
    Thanks

Modded 54" Snownlower shoes.......

Well I thought I would give these a shot on my gravel driveway. Not sure how they will work but only one way to find out! I took the stock shoes and added approx. another 6" to the length. Then I made a set using 13"x 5" x 3/8" hot rolled. Next I welded an angle on the front edge. Then took another piece of plate 1/4" thick by 6 1/2" x 5" milled adjuster slots and then welded them together. My first weld job as you can see!!!! I didn't put a rear angle on because I wasn't sure if I had clearance. I will probably will add it but I thought I would see how they work first. They may float to much, thats why I revised my other set in case these don't work.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	shoes.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	656742
    North585 and stg454 like this.
    Previous mower 1987 216 that I bought new. Had for 30 yrs +, It was part of the Family!!

2018 1023e
    54" Auto Connect Deck
    54" Snow-Blower
    120r Loader
    Rear Heavy Hitch w/ 8 suitcase weights

Thank You to all our Military Men and Women who are serving and our Vets!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Based on my experience with the 54" blower on a gravel driveway there is no such thing as too much float. :-) I tried doubling the size of the stock shoes and it was an epic fail.

Your large shoe may work a bit better. The 54" blower is quite heavy and it really wants to dig in, especially when the ground is soft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 2.JPG  
    mikdor likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    When I plowed snow off my gravel driveway with a garden tractor,, I found that adding a spring support to the blade was better than skids,,

If there is no down force,, the blade/blower will dig in less,,

The Cub Cadet had a perfect spring system,,
    by twisting a knob, you could literally make the attachment have "negative weight", you had to push the lift handle to make the blade go down,,

So, is there any way a spring could be built into the lift??
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 06:08 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,664 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CADplans View Post
    When I plowed snow off my gravel driveway with a garden tractor,, I found that adding a spring support to the blade was better than skids,,

The snow blower weighs 250 lb. so it would need a pretty big spring and a suitable anchor point.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 04:32 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    The snow blower weighs 250 lb. so it would need a pretty big spring and a suitable anchor point.
    Even if the spring only removed 25% of the weight,, it would be that much less the shoes would have to support,,,

Removing 80-90% of the weight is ideal,, but any less weight would be helpful,,,

Heck, even a hand-full of bungee straps helping to lift the blower will show a dramatic effect in gravel moving,,,

It is really great when you see a counter sprung blade ride over a pile of gravel, rather than plowing through the hump,,,
    Some of the tractors include JD 4105, JD 855, JD 650,,,, and,,, the IH 584 4WD
    My favorite attachment is the homemade landplane,,, EVERYONE needs one of those!!

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    06-25-2019 @ 10:34 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikdor View Post
    Well I thought I would give these a shot on my gravel driveway. Not sure how they will work but only one way to find out! I took the stock shoes and added approx. another 6" to the length. Then I made a set using 13"x 5" x 3/8" hot rolled. Next I welded an angle on the front edge. Then took another piece of plate 1/4" thick by 6 1/2" x 5" milled adjuster slots and then welded them together. My first weld job as you can see!!!! I didn't put a rear angle on because I wasn't sure if I had clearance. I will probably will add it but I thought I would see how they work first. They may float to much, thats why I revised my other set in case these don't work.

Name:	shoes.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	656742

That's exactly what I had to do on my HLA 1500 snow pusher. The factory float shoes were basically knives, useless except on asphalt because the pusher weighs too much for the light-duty loader arms. The arms flexed, and caused the pusher to constantly want to "dig in" because the pivot point at the rear is way up high.
    JD 2520 MCUT (SOLD)

Looking for a 3xx or 4xx restoration project (at a good price)

9. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:45 AM
    Thanks

The Cub Cadet had a perfect spring system,,
    by twisting a knob, you could literally make the attachment have "negative weight", you had to push the lift handle to make the blade go down,,

I was happily reading along until I saw this picture, it gave me a chill up my spine just seeing it!!!! I know we will get it sooner or later, in fact 5-8 Friday,, but... I really hate snow.... So if anyone can find Eden, please let me know where it is! Good luck with your experiments with less weight on those shoes.. and blades...
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Today @ 11:53 AM
    Thanks
    Even if the spring only removed 25% of the weight,, it would be that much less the shoes would have to support,,,

Removing 80-90% of the weight is ideal,, but any less weight would be helpful,,,

Heck, even a hand-full of bungee straps helping to lift the blower will show a dramatic effect in gravel moving,,,

It is really great when you see a counter sprung blade ride over a pile of gravel, rather than plowing through the hump,,,
    I've often thought about this with my 430's big 2 stage blower. I have always considered adding down pressure springs (mounted differently of course) from a planter row unit. I think it would be a fairly simple mod that would be helpful.

Name:	planterdownforce.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	656798

Scott
    '14 1025R FEL, artillian forks, 60" 3pt Farm King Finish Mower (Sold), 60" County Line 3pt Tiller, Cat 1-Cat 0 3 Pt hitch adapter.
    '92 430 w/ 60" Deck, 3pt 2000rpm Tilt Dump MCS, 3pt 2000rpm Hydraulic Dump MCS, Front 47" Snowblower, 48" 2000rpm Tiller(sold), 3pt 10' Lawn Sprayer, Front mounted spot sprayer, 3pt Dehatcher, McCormick-Deering Endgate seeder adapted to 2000rpm/3pt
    '02 F687 Z-trak 60" front mount mower

11. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements