Like Tree74Likes

Thread: Modifying Box Blade for FEL Snow Pusher

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    Today @ 09:18 AM
    Thanks

Modifying Box Blade for FEL Snow Pusher

Good Morning!

Looking for some advice and thoughts. I've searched the site to no avail.

I would like to come up with a snow pusher for my 1R. I have a JD430 with the refrigerator (2-stage) blower that works great for concrete drives, but not great on gravel. This will be for those areas of my drive, and several of the neighbors with gravel driveways, where the blower is difficult to use. I would probably use it as well when there are small snowfalls as I believe it would quite a bit faster, than both the blower and using just the bucket. I move the snow on up to 8 driveways in the neighborhood.

There are used box blades available quite often in this area. I don't want to invest a lot, as this isn't my primary snow removal tool, and having it as a dual purpose (still be able to use it as a back box blade) appeals to me.

Obviously I would have to add skid shoes to the side (easy enough), probably add a rubber edge (fairly easy) and come up with a loader mount (several options here.)

So, my question...has anyone taken a rear box blade and added the FEL mounts to use as a snow pusher?

I've never used a box blade, so perhaps my idea is a little too far fetched.

What are the thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    '14 1025R FEL, artillian forks, 60" 3pt Farm King Finish Mower (Sold), 60" County Line 3pt Tiller, Cat 1-Cat 0 3 Pt hitch adapter.
    '92 430 w/ 60" Deck, 3pt 2000rpm Tilt Dump MCS, 3pt 2000rpm Hydraulic Dump MCS, Front 47" Snowblower, 48" 2000rpm Tiller(sold), 3pt 10' Lawn Sprayer, Front mounted spot sprayer, 3pt Dehatcher, McCormick-Deering Endgate seeder adapted to 2000rpm/3pt
    '02 F687 Z-trak 60" front mount mower

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by scronbaugh View Post
    Good Morning!

Looking for some advice and thoughts. I've searched the site to no avail.

I would like to come up with a snow pusher for my 1R. I have a JD430 with the refrigerator (2-stage) blower that works great for concrete drives, but not great on gravel. This will be for those areas of my drive, and several of the neighbors with gravel driveways, where the blower is difficult to use. I would probably use it as well when there are small snowfalls as I believe it would quite a bit faster, than both the blower and using just the bucket. I move the snow on up to 8 driveways in the neighborhood.

There are used box blades available quite often in this area. I don't want to invest a lot, as this isn't my primary snow removal tool, and having it as a dual purpose (still be able to use it as a back box blade) appeals to me.

Obviously I would have to add skid shoes to the side (easy enough), probably add a rubber edge (fairly easy) and come up with a loader mount (several options here.)

So, my question...has anyone taken a rear box blade and added the FEL mounts to use as a snow pusher?

What are the thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    With a good welder, I guess anything is possible. One thing to consider is that a box blade is very heavy.
    Levi, wentonbrown and scronbaugh like this.
    Greg

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!

2018 JD 1025R FEL /Mauser cab / 53" Bucket/Heavy hitch tooth bar / I-Match / Kenny's extended hook / JD ballast box / Loader mounted JD 54" snow plow/9" wings / Artillian 36" pallet fork set / Woods RTR48.30 tiller & LRS60 landscape rake / Howes 48" box blade /Heavy Hitch receiver/weight bracket / Heavy Hitch ripper/middle plow/subsoiler / Dual Alpena Hex Fire rear led lights / Bora 2" spacers / Land Pride CA1548 core aerator

4. Top | #3
    SRG
    Last Online
    10-06-2019 @ 09:47 PM
    Thanks
    I've had this exact same idea myself. I picked up a 1/4" thick bare JD quick attach plate from Titan, specifically for this project. Which i have yet to undertake.
    I don't even think welding is necessary to accomplish this, unless you just plan on adding brackets right to the box blade. But, with a bare JDQA or SSQA plate, i think bolting the box blade to it with some large (5/8"-3/4") grade 8 hardware in 6-8 spots, would accomplish the same result. Make some skids for the sides, and replace the cutting edge with some stall mat or rubber, remove rear cutting edge, cut the 3 point mounts off the BB, and it ought to work out pretty good.
    BigJim55 and scronbaugh like this.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.
    Stihl: MS250C/18", FS70R, HS45/18".

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Today @ 07:32 PM
    Thanks
    I don't see why not. I assume you would take both cutting blades off the box blade and replace with a single rubber blade? Then would just need to weld on the mounts to accept the loader arms and away you go. Just have to get the geometry right for the mounts.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    1025R TLB
    42" Artillian pallet forks
    6 ft Steel Express snow pusher
    2048L Box blade
    OTC cab
    54" JD snow blower
    RB2072 Rear blade
    Pat's Easy Change 3 pt hooks
    Agri-ease rear quick hitch
    Woodland Mills WC46 wood chipper

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Today @ 07:46 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,657 Times in 1,256 Posts

What are the thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
    As others have mentioned, anything is possible with a welder, cutter and grinder - and TIME. But I believe using a box blade as a FEL snow plow is simply the wrong implement for the job. First it is WAY too heavy. Even a 48-inch box blade weighs in around 450 lbs. That much weight is going to dig into the gravel, skid shoes or not. A snow plow doesn't need to be heavy, in fact some are made of poly.

It would make more sense to find an old beater rear blade on Craigslist and cobble it up to mount to the FEL.
    BigJim55, jdforever and PJR832 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:50 PM
    Thanks
    I think the idea is interesting. I'm not sure how the snow is going to act with the 3pt mount and the ripper bar in the space it wants to occupy. If you have a use for a box blade, it seems like you could modify if and only be out your time and ~$200. I'd personally choose to use the mounting plates form Artillian over the larger one from Titan. At the size of box blade you'd want to use, you don't need the taller Titan plate just for the larger loader frames. The Artillian one is a little more, but better suited for what you're doing and shouldn't interfere with the rear cutting edge.

For Your JDQA Projects

Their web page won't let me link to the exact product, its the bottom one on that page. I used one of these to build something a long time ago and it was great quality and perfect fit.
    BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.

9. Top | #7
    SRG
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post
    I think the idea is interesting. I'm not sure how the snow is going to act with the 3pt mount and the ripper bar in the space it wants to occupy. If you have a use for a box blade, it seems like you could modify if and only be out your time and ~$200. I'd personally choose to use the mounting plates form Artillian over the larger one from Titan. At the size of box blade you'd want to use, you don't need the taller Titan plate just for the larger loader frames. The Artillian one is a little more, but better suited for what you're doing and shouldn't interfere with the rear cutting edge.

For Your JDQA Projects

Their web page won't let me link to the exact product, its the bottom one on that page. I used one of these to build something a long time ago and it was great quality and perfect fit.
    Those are nice and being bare bones, great for projects like this. But i gotta say, I only paid $118 shipped for the 1/4" bare JDQA plate from Titan and it's painted JD green. I do like that Artillian offers just the JDQA mounts themselves. I probably would have bought those had i known about them, even tho they're $160.
    I used a 60" box blade behind my Kubota last year, pulling the snow to the end of the drive and back pushing it into the ditch. The snow just falls right out. Worked decent.
    Last edited by SRG; 11-14-2018 at 12:37 PM.
    BigJim55 likes this.

1997 JD 870 (28hp Yanmar), FWA, R1's, 300x loader, 61" bucket, 42" Titan forks, Pat's Easy Change.
    [72" KK box blade, 72" KK landscape rake, 72" Titan pine straw rake, 72" Express Steel snow pusher{XP24}, 60" KK tiller, 60" rotary cutter, middle buster, boom pole]
    2004 JD 797 (29hp Kawasaki) Z-Trak, 72" 7-Iron deck, Mulch blades, Carlisle AT101's.

10. Top | #8

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jdforever View Post
    With a good welder, I guess anything is possible. One thing to consider is that a box blade is very heavy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    As others have mentioned, anything is possible with a welder, cutter and grinder - and TIME. But I believe using a box blade as a FEL snow plow is simply the wrong implement for the job. First it is WAY too heavy. Even a 48-inch box blade weighs in around 450 lbs. That much weight is going to dig into the gravel, skid shoes or not. A snow plow doesn't need to be heavy, in fact some are made of poly.

It would make more sense to find an old beater rear blade on Craigslist and cobble it up to mount to the FEL.
    Weight was a concern I had, but in researching actual snow pushers...a 72" has weights from 350-450#, whereas, the box blades aren't much different with them being 450-500# from what I've seen.
    https://www.agrisupply.com/foot-poin...raper/p/65072/

Quote Originally Posted by Plug Ugly View Post

For Your JDQA Projects

The scarifier cross brace was some thing that I had not really considered.....

Yes, in my mind I would plan to uses the brackets from Artillian or titan. I have Artillian pallet forks now.

Thanks for the responses. Seems like I'm not toooooo far off of this thinking. Was hoping someone has done this and could share their experience. Do folks have an issue with the cross support when using a box blade on the 3pt to move snow?

Thanks,
    Scott
    '14 1025R FEL, artillian forks, 60" 3pt Farm King Finish Mower (Sold), 60" County Line 3pt Tiller, Cat 1-Cat 0 3 Pt hitch adapter.
    '92 430 w/ 60" Deck, 3pt 2000rpm Tilt Dump MCS, 3pt 2000rpm Hydraulic Dump MCS, Front 47" Snowblower, 48" 2000rpm Tiller(sold), 3pt 10' Lawn Sprayer, Front mounted spot sprayer, 3pt Dehatcher, McCormick-Deering Endgate seeder adapted to 2000rpm/3pt

11. Top | #9
    SRG
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Do folks have an issue with the cross support when using a box blade on the 3pt to move snow?

Thanks,
    Scott

It was never an issue, in my experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 28257.jpeg  

12. Top | #10

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SRG View Post
    It was never an issue, in my experience.
    Thanks!
    BigJim55 likes this.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast