• 1 Post By airjeff
  • 1 Post By blue87fj60

Thread: 385A/485 to dig basement?

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-20-2019 @ 10:58 AM
    Thanks

385A/485 to dig basement?

I'm gearing up for a remodel/addition on the house next year. For better or worse I tend to do a lot of projects myself. In this case I won't be doing the entire project, but I'm thinking about doing the excavating myself and maybe I'll get to keep the backhoe as a bonus. The basement is two separate locations and will require 72" of excavation at it's deepest point. Total basement square footage will be about 270. Then there will be excavation for a masonry chimney foundation and for 13 square porch/deck footings.(Unless I can find a square form to use so I can pour the square pilings) Our soil is not clay so it isn't hard and there are not many rocks. I know a 385A or 485 with a 24" bucket attached to a 3720 would technically be able to get the job done, but would it be a painful process? Also in the future is a new garage, barn and in ground pool. Renting is an option too, but that tends to add stress in my life as I need to get it done as quickly as possible to keep the rental costs down. I like the idea of being able to go out and dig when I have time and then maybe having a new toy...I mean tool to have around when I need it. :D Thoughts?
    2007 X744 62C Deck w/Mulch Kit, 48C/54C Pulley Swap

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:45 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,085 Times in 2,550 Posts
    Can it be done? Sure, but Iíd worry about the weather and other factors if you canít get it done quickly. You donít want to your dig site to fill with water, and footers will need to be dug and poured quickly too, if they fill with water you wonít have an undisturbed solid base for them.

There will be lots of moving the tractor, and that means getting off the hoe and climbing onto the tractor to reposition, then back again, plus having to move the spoils. Renting mini excavator and using the tractors loader seems like it would be a lot more efficient.
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Thanks
    I agree with Kenny. Rent yourself a mini or small excavator and don't look back. It's no fun when you aren't in a position to get rid of material with a backhoe. Especially if you are going basement/crawl depth.
    BigJim55, Oscar Leroy and Fozsey like this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks
    Way to crush my dreams of a backhoe. Though I'd have to say I'm not surprised. I had thought of the issues mentioned and could work around them, but I can imagine it being a big pain, hence why I asked the question. It just seemed like an opportunity to justify a backhoe which could be handy and fun. The other piece of the puzzle I haven't looked at is how much it would cost to just have it done. I have no idea what it costs for excavation around here, but after I check into that I might find it just isn't worth my time to tackle the project myself.
    BigJim55 and Oscar Leroy like this.

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 08:02 PM
    Thanks
    While the mini excavator would be marginally faster, Id go bigger than that if I were in a hurry to get it done. They are certainly faster than the backhoe, but they are still small and limited by bucket size. A small excavator would get it done MUCH faster. A bobcat, probably faster, assuming you can dig an approach into the basement.
    Alternatively, you could just dig a ramp you could drive your tractor down, do the excavating with the big bucket, and be done. You would need the backhoe in that case, or something to get you started.
    Id think a guy could dig out the basement using the loader, and while not the easiest, it would work just as well as about anything else. Guys around here do them with Bobcats all the time.

Now, even if you dont use a backhoe to do any of that, you WILL find uses for it.
    If you think there is a remote chance you will have lots of use for it in the future, get it when you get the tractor.

If you look at MDrews thread about his pole barn construction, youll see that no matter what you do, the weather can still get in your way in a BIG way. Even with big equipment working fast, you could still have big problems. It just lessens the chances somewhat.
    If it were me, and I had the time, Id give it a shot myself, but Im what you might call stubborn...set in my ways...hard headed...etc, more so than anyone Ive known, so maybe my advice should be taken with that in mind, lol!
    BigJim55 and Oscar Leroy like this.
    Jim B.

318, 49 Thrower, 2 80 Carts, 17AT cart, 54 Blade, 12" Brinly Plow, 30 Hydraulic Tiller w/extension & Briney 3-Pt hitch, 50 deck w/JRCO Cart Bagger.
    2025R, 120R loader w/Kens Bolt On Hooks, 260B backhoe w/8" & 16" buckets, Titan 36" forks, Imatch hitch, Weight Bracket/Hitch.

Exmark Lazer Z HP 52"
    Husqvarna 550XP, 562XP, 55 Rancher

8. Top | #6

Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaJim View Post
    While the mini excavator would be marginally faster, Id go bigger than that if I were in a hurry to get it done. They are certainly faster than the backhoe, but they are still small and limited by bucket size. A small excavator would get it done MUCH faster. A bobcat, probably faster, assuming you can dig an approach into the basement.
    Alternatively, you could just dig a ramp you could drive your tractor down, do the excavating with the big bucket, and be done. You would need the backhoe in that case, or something to get you started.
    Id think a guy could dig out the basement using the loader, and while not the easiest, it would work just as well as about anything else. Guys around here do them with Bobcats all the time.

Now, even if you dont use a backhoe to do any of that, you WILL find uses for it.
    If you think there is a remote chance you will have lots of use for it in the future, get it when you get the tractor.

If you look at MDrews thread about his pole barn construction, youll see that no matter what you do, the weather can still get in your way in a BIG way. Even with big equipment working fast, you could still have big problems. It just lessens the chances somewhat.
    If it were me, and I had the time, Id give it a shot myself, but Im what you might call stubborn...set in my ways...hard headed...etc, more so than anyone Ive known, so maybe my advice should be taken with that in mind, lol!
    Haha, I've actually thought about using the loader to dig the basement. The approach wouldn't be hard and if I had a backhoe it would be easy to cleanup/finish the hole. I really just don't like paying for what I could do myself. But sometimes there just isn't time for me to do it or the professionals can do it for a cost that just doesn't make sense for me to pass up. Kinda like the guy who ground out 30 big stumps for $500. I'd spend that much on just the rental. So instead I let him grind them all up. In the next couple weeks I'll decide what I'm going to do here.
    BigJim55 likes this.

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Today @ 03:47 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by airjeff View Post
    Way to crush my dreams of a backhoe. Though I'd have to say I'm not surprised. I had thought of the issues mentioned and could work around them, but I can imagine it being a big pain, hence why I asked the question. It just seemed like an opportunity to justify a backhoe which could be handy and fun. The other piece of the puzzle I haven't looked at is how much it would cost to just have it done. I have no idea what it costs for excavation around here, but after I check into that I might find it just isn't worth my time to tackle the project myself.
    Lol
    Hey man, not saying it can't be done.
    BigJim55 likes this.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

10. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements