John deere 390 flail

Thread: John deere 390 flail

1. Top | #1

Last Online
    06-07-2015 @ 10:29 AM
    Thanks

John deere 390 flail

Hello I just purchased a used flail $1300.. I believe it to be a jd 390 where can I find the serial number to be sure then I will need to find a relatively cheap place to aquire parts and pieces for repairs before I put It to work I know it needs belts and a seal on the gear box and I noticed that the output yoke on the belt drive shaft is loose the set screws will need to be extracted and replaced to see if that will help tighten it up . any info of parts sources would be greatly appreciated thanks motorhead540

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:49 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,150 Times in 2,589 Posts
    No idea where the serial number might be, but if you learn to use www.jdparts.com you'll find all the parts diagram's you'd ever need.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/foru...ere-parts.html
    Kenny

-John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab TLB
    FEL, MMM, Artillian 42" Forks and Modular Grapple, I-Match, Ballast Box, and lots of other STUFF.
    -John Deere 455 w/60" MMM

Bolt on Grab Hooks and other cool stuff are now for sale!!

Visit our YouTube Channel

My Equipment:
    John Deere 3720 Deluxe Cab, 300cx FEL, 366 Front Blade, 59" Front Snowblower, Ballast Box
    Artillian 3K Forks, Grapple, Front-Hoe Bucket
    John Deere 455, 60" MMM

4. Top | #3

Last Online
    Thanks

??? now i am not sure of what i got ...

I have started working on this machine. I took the belt guard off and started working on getting the seized set screws out of the cross shaft to the pulley . like I had said originally I believed it to be an early john deere ... painted deere green, john deere stickers and badging on it in several places . but so far have be unable to confirm that assumption . has orange either paint or primer under the green . Well now I own it so I will need to figure out what it is and where to get the misc parts and pieces to make it a good serviceable unit. I had to borrow my neighbors tractor and mower yesterday for the first runway cutting of the season so I will need to be working on mine and cutting weekly now thru probably july/aug anyway . could use some help to properly identify this unit . not sure if or how to post post picturs on this site I will try to figure that out and get some up if I can get a few good ones .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P2210253.JPG   P2210254.JPG   P2210255.JPG   P2210256.JPG  

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4

Last Online
    Thanks

Flail Ford 917 ???

Well this flail, I believe now to be a older ford/new holland 917 ?? 88" cut. I put a new correct belt, rebuilt the belt tensioner and replaced all the knives to smooth cutting grass knives. extracted the broken set screws on the cross drive shaft and replaced them . got it up and running shakes pretty bad not sure why as yet only got it running last evening . First thing I did was to put the knives in backward ... this spins the rotor opposite of the rears flail my neighbor has so I had to swap all the knives around again then it got to late to mess with it any longer last evening. Sure could use a manual both service and or operators for the ford 917 flail and possibly some guidance on figuring out where the vibration is and how to eliminate it. Any Thoughts or ideas help

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    11-04-2019 @ 11:24 AM
    Thanks
    You said the yoke was loose on the shaft? The yoke should fit snugly on the shaft and then the set screw is just to keep it on the shaft. If you had to use the set screw to take the slop out of the yoke/shaft then there is likely some wear between the two.

Not having the yoke snugly on the shaft can cause it not to be centered on the shaft which will cause a wobble and vibration.
    F932-gas with 72" mower deck(sold)
    2720-72" mower deck with hydraulic lift, 3 valve rear SCV, loader, bucket, forks, 84" RFM, blade, 74" snow blower, box blade, land grader........
    2305- sold
    Z915B

8. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements