Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree81Likes

Thread: 54" Snow Blower Drive Chain

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-11-2019 @ 09:13 AM
    Thanks

54" Snow Blower Drive Chain

So, I've had the snow blower for two years (this will be going into the third season), but in reading stuff here I realized that I hadn't been lubing it properly, so after a sloppy wet mess of a storm were I had the chain jump off I decided it was (far past) time to properly lube everything.

Gear oil replaced & all grease fittings on all shafts/joints back to the pto - done.

I was just using gear oil on the chain prior to this, so I picked up some proper chain lube. Go to put the chain back on and tension it properly, and it seems like there may be a "kinked" link, but after a proper lubing up and many rotations all seemed well. To be on the safe side I picked up a new chain to have on hand.

Next, we function tested - all seemed well. (Had the SIL sit on it and run the pto while I went around and looked at everything with a flashlight).

So, we just had another light, but sloppy storm. I had planned on just scraping the front asphalt with the blade, but it turned out to be freezing up by the time I got to it, so ended up doing some scraping and using the blower to move the piles. This worked out well. Given that it looked like at least a week before we got more snow, and what was left in the other areas could stay if need be, I decided to "stress test" the blower and see what may break before the next storm.

It went well, no problems. However, the chain, now properly lubed and tensioned, just sounded way too loud for my tastes, so I have decided to just replace it with the new one.

I had noticed that there was no master link on the old one - or at least none I found. Nor is there one on the new one.

Am I to assume that I have to disassemble the entire damn thing in order to replace the chain? If so, should I just consider cutting the old one off, then cutting the new one and installing it with a master link?
    2016 1025R / 54” Quick Attach SB / H120 FEL w/dealer welded hooks / Autoconnect 54D MMM / Frontier RB2060L Blade / iMatch Kit / Ballast Box / Receiver Hitch Kit / Block Heater / Aux + Rear Work Lights w/LEDs / Brush Guard / Canopy / Ken's Diff Lock Pedal, Seat Springs, iMatch hook/pin set, Step, and Grab Handle

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    With your issue of the chain jumping I’d say the tension may be off. Assuming that the sprockets are fine and don’t look like shark fins. If there is a kink in one of the links it’s best to replace the chain. I use spray chain wax like I would on dirt bikes. I feel like it helps against corrosion, lasts longer and helps with noise.

Have you ever replaced the carrier bearings for the driveshaft? Mine blew apart but even before that it was very noise during operation.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 8CC115C8-2177-429C-9AAA-96BE4FEB2B00_1545411889063.jpeg  
    blue87fj60 likes this.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:17 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,287 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_1025r View Post
    I had noticed that there was no master link on the old one - or at least none I found. Nor is there one on the new one.

Am I to assume that I have to disassemble the entire damn thing in order to replace the chain? If so, should I just consider cutting the old one off, then cutting the new one and installing it with a master link?
    Yes. You have to remove the bracket on the left side so you can remove the chain from the small sprocket. Once loosened it should slip off the larger sprocket.

Over the summer I bought a 10-foot length of chain for around $20 and a pack of master links and made myself an exact replacement chain. For that price I have enough for 4-5 replacements. I figured if mine ever breaks in the middle of a storm replacing it with one with a master link will be MUCH easier.
    Superglidesport, rtgt and tj1 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post
    With your issue of the chain jumping I’d say the tension may be off. Assuming that the sprockets are fine and don’t look like shark fins. If there is a kink in one of the links it’s best to replace the chain. I use spray chain wax like I would on dirt bikes. I feel like it helps against corrosion, lasts longer and helps with noise.
    I've tried that Chain Wax and wasn't really impressed with it. Back when I used to race Motocross and Hare Scrambles the best lube was Chain-Kote. It went on dark and sticky and really stuck to the chain. Unfortunately somewhere along the line they stopped making it.

So far the best lube I've found for the snow blower chain is the BelRay chain lube. It goes on a bit bubbly and they dries with a white-ish color and absolutely does not fling off. I've been using it for 2-3 seasons now. I just wish it came it bigger cans.

The absolute WORST stuff you can use if the JD Chain and Cable lube. That crap is like water and it just flings off and creates a huge mess all over the equipment.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BelRay_lube.jpg  
    rtgt likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Top | #5
    Last Online
    Thanks
    huh. I have notifications turned on, but am not getting emails when folks post, hence the delay...

I'm away atm, so can't look at it, but I did go over it a bit more last night. It looks like I need to actually cut the chain off, as it seems like the drive shaft is carried both front and back.

The more interesting thing of note is that it seems the sprockets are not aligned. At first as I was dickering around with it I thought maybe I was just imagining it, however, after going over it again last night, it seems the driven gear is sitting a bit higher/out than the drive gear. I loosened it, thinking maybe I could move it down/in a bit, but it's in as far as it will go.

As for noise, it very much sounds like chain slap, and this mostly goes away under load.
    tj1 likes this.
    2016 1025R / 54” Quick Attach SB / H120 FEL w/dealer welded hooks / Autoconnect 54D MMM / Frontier RB2060L Blade / iMatch Kit / Ballast Box / Receiver Hitch Kit / Block Heater / Aux + Rear Work Lights w/LEDs / Brush Guard / Canopy / Ken's Diff Lock Pedal, Seat Springs, iMatch hook/pin set, Step, and Grab Handle

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    Yes. You have to remove the bracket on the left side so you can remove the chain from the small sprocket. Once loosened it should slip off the larger sprocket.

Over the summer I bought a 10-foot length of chain for around $20 and a pack of master links and made myself an exact replacement chain. For that price I have enough for 4-5 replacements. I figured if mine ever breaks in the middle of a storm replacing it with one with a master link will be MUCH easier.
    This is 0.400 chain right? Where did you get the chain and links?

9. Top | #7
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NH_1025r View Post
    This is 0.400 chain right? Where did you get the chain and links?
    That is correct, #40. I got both on Amazon.

Amazon.com: Koch 7440100 Roller Chain, 40, 10 Feet: Home Improvement

Amazon.com: Koch 7540040 Roller Chain Connector Link, 4-Pack, 40: Home Improvement
    lost in wisconsin, rtgt and Ray_PA like this.

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:16 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post

Have you ever replaced the carrier bearings for the driveshaft? Mine blew apart but even before that it was very noise during operation.
    I use Chain Wax as well on my Frontier blower chain. Good stuff.
    Joe
    --------------
    1025R FILB, SB1148, BB2048, Ken's Hooks and Hitch, 36" Artillian forks, JD/Artillian 54" Plow and counting...
    HPX615E Gator

11. Top | #9
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:02 AM
    Thanks
    These buggers are noisy. I have no idea why JD doesn't have master links on the chains and yes they are hard to adjust with the eccentric sprockets JD installs. You will have to remove the entire mess to change it out unless you break the chain and do what Jay did buy a chain and use the master links..
    I also had my bearings junk day one and decided as Frank did change out the impeller to steel and at that time to change out all the drive bearings while it was apart.. I have no idea why JD produces such a noisy blower.. I also had a neighbor machine a new large drive sprocket to take the place of the junk it came with,, Unfortunately the small drive sprocket is welded on the shaft and it too is eccentric??????? Once you figure out how to adjust them so you have a happy medium, you'll be good to go. Just make sure the two sprockets are lined up properly before you install the chain.. I did mine by moving the adjustment side right into the large sprocket so they fit together perfectly and tightened the large sprocket down. I installed the new chain I bought from JD (without a master link) and now the blower is somewhat quiet but it will never sound like my Berco… If the chain breaks I will head to my nearest Equipment dealer (2 miles away) and get the proper chain with a master link.. I also use motocross chain lube as I had a case of it from my dirt bike days. It's still on the chain when I do the fall tune up so I know it works and I don't have to adjust the chain all winter and we usually get a lot of snow here in the northeast. Set your blower up once properly and you will be a happy man, forget the noise, it will always be there, it's the nature of the beast.. Good luck.
    Just a pic of how I do my fall blower tune up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0089.JPG   DSCN0087.JPG  
    Last edited by tj1; 12-23-2018 at 11:01 AM.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

12. Top | #10
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 02:40 PM
    Thanks
    Seeing a lot of issues lately with some guys snow throwers.. i find it very odd being so new. Ive used my 2016 blower 2 years now and have had no issues. I have not lubed the chain at all. Seems odd. All i do is hit my whole housing with wd40 a couple time over the winter season to help slip-slide the snow out of it. Thing runs like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rtgt and JD4044M like this.
    2016 1025r - Amazing Machine!
    1969 112 - May need a rebuild

13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast