Like Tree21Likes
  • 5 Post By JimR
  • 1 Post By Cook
  • 4 Post By dombougie
  • 2 Post By nastorino
  • 3 Post By Sergeant
  • 3 Post By wildbranch2007
  • 3 Post By Cook

Thread: Which plow (or snow attachment)?

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    11-08-2019 @ 09:17 PM
    Thanks

Which plow (or snow attachment)?

Looks like I'm picking up a 2018 1025r TLB tomorrow. Debating between the frontier loader mounted plow, HLA plow, or CT attachments. Any reason I should choose one over the other? I don't think I'm interested in the JD tractor mounted plow.

I'd really like a snowblower but it seems like the JD units have a lot of flaws as pointed out on this forum (been doing a lot searching before posting), and the radtechs aren't available in the US.

The snow pushers look cool, especially the HLA with optional back drag, but I don't think it'll do well with a long driveway with heavy snow (especially 6"+).

Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

3. Top | #2

Last Online
    Today @ 07:24 PM
    Thanks
    Huh. I read most of the threads on here and there are a LOT of people that own the 54" front blower. Very few have problems with them.

As far as teh plows go, all 3 you listed appear to be good solid plows. The CT Attachments unit doesn't have a long history so we have to wait a bit to see how they hold up in the long run. I'd be happy with any of the 3 so it would come down to the total price and availability for me. Some of them have a several month lead time.
    D160 Mower/Bagger.
    2014 2032R tractor/H130 FEL w/Bolt-On Hooks/54" Snow Plow/iMatch Quick-Hitch/County Line 5' Scraper blade/County Line Carry-All/Artillian 42" Forks & QH Adapter/JD Ballast Box/Frontier SB1164 3PH Blower/Leinbach PHD/Wallenstien BX42 Chipper

4. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Thanks
    What I'm reading on the blower is the plastic impeller should be replaced with a metal one, the gear box can have issues, and the chain drive is a weakness. I honestly don't know much about it but just reading some comments im hesitant to spend $4-5k
    OxPath likes this.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

6. Top | #4
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cook View Post
    What I'm reading on the blower is the plastic impeller should be replaced with a metal one, the gear box can have issues, and the chain drive is a weakness. I honestly don't know much about it but just reading some comments im hesitant to spend $4-5k
    I’m not saying go out and buy one but I use mine for commercial snow removal. Easily 100hrs on the unit with zero issues. There was a post not long ago about steel and plastic. I’ve fed mine many baseball sized rocks. Sure the discharge chute is missing some paint but the impeller is just fine. The main reason some switch is for “performance” which would be hard to accurately measure.
    North585, OxPath, PJR832 and 1 others like this.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

7. Top | #5

Last Online
    Today @ 10:56 AM
    Thanks
    Hi Cook, I recently sold my 54" plow with the 9" extensions with the intention of going with a CTA 66" blade. It's built very solid and doesn't have the flaws that the 54" with extensions has. I was 99% ready to pull the trigger and would have had they not closed down a few days for the holidays. It got me thinking again about adding a new style (plastic impeller) 54" snowblower to the front of my x758. Like you I have my concerns of the plastic impeller, the gearbox and chain/sprocket alignment. I have trouble swallowing $3500 and then another $300 on a impeller. I'm only a residential guy and will only log a few hours on it each year, however being in CT our snow is usually wet or slushy and not all powder.

Have you considered rear mount snowblowers for that machine? If I went for a larger unit 2R or 3R i was going to get a snowblower then. I just hate the idea of waiting 1-3 years for a snowblower.
    OxPath and PJR832 like this.
    2017 John Deere x758 w/54" HC mower, 14bu powerflow, 4-way QH, FM dethatcher, 18 steel cart, CTA 66" blade
    2018 Ariens Hydro Pro EFI 28" #313 926068 - SOLD
    2017 Ariens 24" Platinum SHO EFI 921053 - SOLD

8. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Today @ 11:32 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nastorino View Post
    Hi Cook, I recently sold my 54" plow with the 9" extensions with the intention of going with a CTA 66" blade. It's built very solid and doesn't have the flaws that the 54" with extensions has. I was 99% ready to pull the trigger and would have had they not closed down a few days for the holidays. It got me thinking again about adding a new style (plastic impeller) 54" snowblower to the front of my x758. Like you I have my concerns of the plastic impeller, the gearbox and chain/sprocket alignment. I have trouble swallowing $3500 and then another $300 on a impeller. I'm only a residential guy and will only log a few hours on it each year, however being in CT our snow is usually wet or slushy and not all powder.

Have you considered rear mount snowblowers for that machine? If I went for a larger unit 2R or 3R i was going to get a snowblower then. I just hate the idea of waiting 1-3 years for a snowblower.
    Don't worry about the Poly impellers I have had a 47inch for the Last 4 years on my 5th winter Haven't had a issue yet and In the Past I had a 47inch with a Metal impeller and to be perfectly honest don't really notice that much a a difference between the two. You read so many terrible things about the Poly impellers On these type of forums(forum only represent a small Portion of actual owners of the Deere 47 & 54inch Blowers). Someone put out a video that the reason Deere switched to the Poly was because they Make the Blower walls Thinner. But the Real reason Deere switched from metal to Poly was Because of Customer feedback from the 47inch Blower Produced during the 425 thru X595 years of Production do to damage to the Housing in the second stage That is why the 54inch actually came out with a Poly Impeller to begin with and a not a steel Impeller With the Great feedback Deere got On the 54inch They decided to replace the Steel Impeller on the 47inch to a Poly Impeller
    OxPath, TJR345 and nastorino like this.
    John Deere Models: 2025RTLB(Gen 2),X748,GX335,140H3,112SF,110RF,Sabre 1542,XUV 835M
    Cub Cadet Models:0riginal,70,106,XT3GSX & Experimental Non Production Rear engine rider
    Ingersoll Model:3016PS
    Simplicity Models:Wonder Boy
    White Model: GT2055

MSGT 11 & 18 Series Retired

9. Top | #7

Last Online
    Today @ 04:55 AM
    Thanks
    and don't forget the two bearings that fail regularly. I looked at a friends 1025 front snow blower, the new ones come with the larger drive shaft that may fix some of the problems, and I also noticed the adapter with the bearings is designed different than the one that I have on a 2025, the bearings are offset so the shaft has an upward angle. So far I have had to replace the bearing on my snow blower every year, the worst being a few years ago when we had little snow, the blower only had 10 hrs on it that year. But this year I replaced them with ones from one of the threads HPS-100-GP, lets see how they do this year.
    OxPath, BigJim55 and PJR832 like this.
    2025r fel snowblower

10. Top | #8
    Last Online
    Thanks
    Thanks for the responses! I'd like to stick with a front mount blower for sure. Im happy to hear some of the blower woes aren't that bad. I'll get a price on it today when I go look at the tractor
    OxPath, PJR832 and nastorino like this.

11. Top | #9
    Last Online
    10-15-2019 @ 10:49 PM
    Thanks
    If your able to clear it with you Polaris now then the1025 will be a huge upgrade. If it was my money and I’m in your situation I would get a loader mounted Plow vs a blower. The plow on the Polaris seems to work now, this will be a big improvement. The blower isn’t very helpful in small snowfalls. Not sure what the prices are but you could look at a used rear blower if needed
    Last edited by dombougie; 12-27-2018 at 09:28 AM.
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements