• 1 Post By tj1

Thread: JD 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower chute bolts broken

1. Top | #1
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts

JD 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower chute bolts broken

I've been using my 54" front-mount snow blower about every other snow and noticed the chain was getting a tad loose. After tightening the chain and giving the blower a general once-over, I decide to check the bolts that hold the chute-retaining clips (highlighted part below, 37M7058).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chute.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	40752

The first bolt I checked, I literally only "touched" the head with the wrench and it popped right off! It must have been sitting there being held only by a single molecule. I then checked the rest and found another one with the flange broken off.

Somewhere... way back when... I remember reading a forum posting somewhere about this being an all-to-common occurrence because it caused me to order a few spares at the time. So after drilling out the old bolt I dug into my spares. At first I panicked because the spares looked much larger. Thinking I had ordered the wrong part I checked the part number and sure enough it was the correct number. The bolts are M8x20 but the original bolts have a 10mm head whereas the spares I ordered from JD had a 13mm head. Other than that the bolts appeared to be identical.

Looking at the two broken bolts they appear to be a very low grade of bolt. The broken flange edge almost looks cast.

So today I went to the hardware store and picked up some M8x20 Class 10.9 bolts and I am going to replace all six bolts on the chute retaining clips.

Below are some photos which shows the bolt that originally came with the blower (with broken flange), the replacement 37M7058 and the class 10.9 from the hardware store.

I hope this takes care of any future problems. I have no idea why JD changed the size of the bolt head on the replacements nor do I understand why the chute clip bolts are so prone to breaking. I just hope I can get the other four out without any issues.

Name:	E26R3991.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	91.2 KB 
ID:	40755

Name:	E26R3994.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	70.3 KB 
ID:	40756

For the other 54" blower owners out there, you might want to check your chute clip bolts.
    56FordGuy, blue87fj60 and tj1 like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jgayman For This Useful Post:

ColonyPark (02-23-2015), RandyM (02-23-2015), sterling40man (02-23-2015)

3. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

4. Top | #2

Last Online
    12-28-2016 @ 04:44 PM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I've been using my 54" front-mount snow blower about every other snow and noticed the chain was getting a tad loose. After tightening the chain and giving the blower a general once-over, I decide to check the bolts that hold the chute-retaining clips (highlighted part below, 37M7058).

The first bolt I checked, I literally only "touched" the head with the wrench and it popped right off! It must have been sitting there being held only by a single molecule. I then checked the rest and found another one with the flange broken off.

Somewhere... way back when... I remember reading a forum posting somewhere about this being an all-to-common occurrence because it caused me to order a few spares at the time. So after drilling out the old bolt I dug into my spares. At first I panicked because the spares looked much larger. Thinking I had ordered the wrong part I checked the part number and sure enough it was the correct number. The bolts are M8x20 but the original bolts have a 10mm head whereas the spares I ordered from JD had a 13mm head. Other than that the bolts appeared to be identical.

Looking at the two broken bolts they appear to be a very low grade of bolt. The broken flange edge almost looks cast.

So today I went to the hardware store and picked up some M8x20 Class 10.9 bolts and I am going to replace all six bolts on the chute retaining clips.

Below are some photos which shows the bolt that originally came with the blower (with broken flange), the replacement 37M7058 and the class 10.9 from the hardware store.

I hope this takes care of any future problems. I have no idea why JD changed the size of the bolt head on the replacements nor do I understand why the chute clip bolts are so prone to breaking. I just hope I can get the other four out without any issues.

For the other 54" blower owners out there, you might want to check your chute clip bolts.

They could have changed it because 13 is a more common size for the common household tool set, but doesnt 13 equal 1/2 inch in american?
    John Deere 400 with 60MMM and 54 dozer blade
    John Deere 112H 46MMM
    Soon 1025r 60MMM H120 260BH

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Deerelindel For This Useful Post:

wildbranch2007 (02-24-2015)

6. Top | #3
    Last Online
    Today @ 08:37 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,702 Times in 1,289 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deerelindel View Post
    They could have changed it because 13 is a more common size for the common household tool set, but doesnt 13 equal 1/2 inch in american?
    Perhaps. But based on my experience with the 54" blower and other JD equipment, ease of disassembly and the ability to use common household tools are not items that were part of the original design process.
    HydroHarold likes this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

7. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements

8. Top | #4
    Last Online
    Today @ 09:03 AM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 989 Posts
    Yep, add me to the club. When my 47" blower was brand new, way back in 2007, I was giving it a once over after delivery. I had a similar experience whereby one broke simply by touch. In all, 4 ended up broken. I called the dealer and got them replaced and they gave me a few extra…which I still have. No problems since

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Jamie

2019 JD XUV 825M Gator - Olive and Black, w/72" Boss Poly Straight Blade Plow (Fully Hydraulic), Roof, Power Dump Bed, Spray in Bed Liner, and Bucket Seats
    2011 JD 1026R - w/60" NON-AutoConnect MMM, FEL w/WR Long Toothbar, 47" Front Mount Snowblower, 54" Front Mount Blade w/ Rubber Edge, 48" KingKutter Tiller & Brush Hog, CountyLine Carry All and CountyLine 60" Rear Blade, Pat's EZ-Change Quick Hitch System
    1990 JD 185 - 46"MMM w/Power Flow Bagger

9. Top | #5
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post

you know; after watching my chute jump all over the place I believe the heads will break off, I have to ask why they have all that play between the chute clips and the blower itself. It just leads to issues.. Now I am going to check all mine too. They do get hammered. just watch and you will see.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

10. Top | #6
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 10:29 PM
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 996 Posts
    I believe that these bolts are machine driven into plain drilled, untapped holes. The small hex head size coupled with the torque required to cut the threads into the chute mount bracket causes fracturing at the bolt shoulder. That's my $ 0.02 story and I'm sticking to it...............

HydroHarold and tj1 like this.
    John Deere 3320
    eHydro, R4's, 300CX Loader, 61" HD Bucket
    JD Tooth Bar, Deluxe Hood Guard, Ken's Bolt-on Hooks
    485 Backhoe w. 18" HD Bucket
    Mid-PTO, Front 3 Point Hitch, 366 Front Blade
    Tarter 5' 3PH Tiller
    Frontier AP12F Forks

John Deere 2032R
    R3's, 220R Loader, 57" HD Bucket
    Curtis Hard Side Cab & Heater
    62D Deck, iMatch Quick Hitch
    54 Snowblower
    Super HeavyHitch
    Little Wonder "Optimax" & JRCO Blower Buggy
    Fimco 60 Gallon 3PH Boomless Sprayer w. PTO Pump

11. Top | #7
    tj1
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 11:30 AM
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Superglidesport View Post
    I believe that these bolts are machine driven into plain drilled, untapped holes. The small hex head size coupled with the torque required to cut the threads into the chute mount bracket causes fracturing at the bolt shoulder. That's my $ 0.02 story and I'm sticking to it...............

Totally agree Frank. When I took one off to install the clip it was hard as hell to get it to totally extract and that's the first thing I said. I have broken bolts doing this because the hole was just a wee bit to small. Lesson learned for sure. Torque wrenches always. Nothing like either drilling out a hard bolt or moving the entire piece.. What's worse? snapping off a tap!
    Superglidesport likes this.
    Jeff

X 738 4X4/ 54" mower deck, 47" two stage snow thrower/ linear actuator spout control, Curtis hard side cab/heater, JD roof top LED work lights, Curtis fuse block, rear roof light connected to dash light switch and reverse lights, additional 20amp alternator, Curtis fast Cast 2000 sander custom fitted to tractor/ vibrator for use with dry sand, Kubota L39 TLB, JD 450 E dozer, Husky 18 horse/ 48" mower deck/Berco 42" two stage snow thrower/Berco soft side cab, Kubota RTV500-H.

12. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements