Used 48” lawn roller
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Used 48” lawn roller

  1. Top | #1
    MowJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Location
    Southwest VA
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts

    Used 48” lawn roller

    Im about to buy a used 48” lawn roller. Ive been kicking around ideas for filling it, decided to either go with sand or concrete. Anyone here have one filled with concrete? What would be the cons of filling it with concrete over sand?


    ‘17 1025r w/FEL
    (2) 80 JD carts
    18 JD cart
    Land Pride 4’ land plane
    Land Pride 1258 tiller
    Land Pride FDR 1660
    Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
    Victory EF155 flail mower

  2. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. Top | #2
    dombougie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Last Online
    Today @ 12:56 AM
    Location
    Rockyview, Alberta
    Posts
    295
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 45 Times in 34 Posts
    As far as weight they will be similar per cubic meter. Sand with the advantage in weight. Sand would be cheaper I’d think to fill. Why not just use water?
    John Deere 1025R, Frontier RB2060 Rear blade, JD 647 Tiller, JD Quick hitch 60HD" Broom, 54" Blade with clip on extensions, 54" Blower, BX42 Wood chipper, Homemade pallet forks, 60" Snow pusher, Land plane. Lots of other cool things.

  4. Top | #3
    MowJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Location
    Southwest VA
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dombougie View Post
    As far as weight they will be similar per cubic meter. Sand with the advantage in weight. Sand would be cheaper I’d think to fill. Why not just use water?
    I prefer not to use water because it will freeze in winter unless using an anti freeze additive of some sort and also I would rather us something that would help it keep its shape better.


    ‘17 1025r w/FEL
    (2) 80 JD carts
    18 JD cart
    Land Pride 4’ land plane
    Land Pride 1258 tiller
    Land Pride FDR 1660
    Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
    Victory EF155 flail mower

  5. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

  6. Top | #4
    TJR345's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Last Online
    11-13-2019 @ 05:37 PM
    Location
    Area 51 in Cambria,NY
    Posts
    3,793
    Thanks
    417
    Thanked 483 Times in 372 Posts
    Do like everyone else does drain the water when your done.
    Levi, HomesteadJoe and scronbaugh like this.
    Tom

    2019 X590 with power mulch control and PF bagger
    30" mechanical tiller
    02 X595 with 62" deck,front thatcher and powerflow PTO kit
    3pt hitch with Heavy Hitch 45 JD loader
    12 JD suitcase weights
    JD/Brinly 3pt plow
    Frontier SS1036 3pt pto spreader
    (2) JS63C walk behind mowers
    TS 105 JD weed wacker
    tow behind 15 gal. sprayer
    Turftime 60" lawn roller
    Turftime 54" 3pt core aerator

  7. Top | #5

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 07:24 AM
    Location
    East Central Indiana
    Posts
    1,499
    Thanks
    96
    Thanked 248 Times in 176 Posts
    I have had a 24" diameter X 36" roller, for over 30 years, that I filled with sand.
    It was very easy to do. The roller is always ready for work.
    jgayman and Levi like this.
    Kioti CK3510SE HST, Kioti KL4030 Loader, John Deere 655 Tiller, Frontier LR2072 Landscape Rake, Virnig V50 Pallet Forks, Woods GB60 Box Blade
    John Deere X739 AWS 4X4, 60HC Auto Connect Deck, Front grader blade.
    John Deere 825i Gator

    John Deere Tractors I have owned in the past.
    425 AWS, 455, 4400, 2210, 4710, 2320, 2720, X475, 1026R, 4120, 2025R

  8. Top | #6
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,281
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TJR345 View Post
    Do like everyone else does drain the water when your done.
    I will be the first to say this method is a major PITA. I have one of the Ohio Steel 52" x 24" that takes 94 gal of water and weighs 920 lb. Each spring I fill it up and then each fall I empty it out. It takes a good while to fill and even longer to empty as it glug-glugs since there is no air inlet. It is also a huge waste of water.

    But worse... if you happen to need it before fill time or after empty time you are out of luck. This year we had some visitors drive in out grass and create ruts and unfortunately it occurred AFTER I emptied it for the year. I have a stone gravel driveway and also use the roller to keep the stones nice and smooth.

    The other issue with liquid is ALL rollers end up leaking to some extent eventually. Mine has started to seep a bit after 5 years. If a person had filled it with oil or added used anti-freeze you would have a huge mess.

    I'm on the verge of just filling mine with sand. Sure that means it will be heavy ALL of the time but I don't see that as an issue. It would be nice to use it year round without worrying about it freezing and cracking open. With all the rain we've had this fall the yard is nice and soft and just right for a good rolling but alas my roller is empty. :-(

    SAND.

    A 50 lb. bag of play sand is 0.5 cu ft and costs $4.15. My 52" x 24" cylinder is ~13.6 cu ft. So it would take roughly 27 bags of sand to fill which would weight 1350 lb. You could probably get away with filling it less than full to keep the weight around 1000 lbs. That would reduce the number of 50 lb bags down to 20 which would cost $83.
    Levi, HomesteadJoe and MowJoe like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  9. Top | #7
    MowJoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Last Online
    Yesterday @ 09:12 AM
    Location
    Southwest VA
    Posts
    200
    Thanks
    13
    Thanked 14 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jgayman View Post
    I will be the first to say this method is a major PITA. I have one of the Ohio Steel 52" x 24" that takes 94 gal of water and weighs 920 lb. Each spring I fill it up and then each fall I empty it out. It takes a good while to fill and even longer to empty as it glug-glugs since there is no air inlet. It is also a huge waste of water.

    But worse... if you happen to need it before fill time or after empty time you are out of luck. This year we had some visitors drive in out grass and create ruts and unfortunately it occurred AFTER I emptied it for the year. I have a stone gravel driveway and also use the roller to keep the stones nice and smooth.

    The other issue with liquid is ALL rollers end up leaking to some extent eventually. Mine has started to seep a bit after 5 years. If a person had filled it with oil or added used anti-freeze you would have a huge mess.

    I'm on the verge of just filling mine with sand. Sure that means it will be heavy ALL of the time but I don't see that as an issue. It would be nice to use it year round without worrying about it freezing and cracking open. With all the rain we've had this fall the yard is nice and soft and just right for a good rolling but alas my roller is empty. :-(

    SAND.

    A 50 lb. bag of play sand is 0.5 cu ft and costs $4.15. My 52" x 24" cylinder is ~13.6 cu ft. So it would take roughly 27 bags of sand to fill which would weight 1350 lb. You could probably get away with filling it less than full to keep the weight around 1000 lbs. That would reduce the number of 50 lb bags down to 20 which would cost $83.
    Is your roller steel or poly?


    ‘17 1025r w/FEL
    (2) 80 JD carts
    18 JD cart
    Land Pride 4’ land plane
    Land Pride 1258 tiller
    Land Pride FDR 1660
    Frontier ss1023 broadcast spreader
    Victory EF155 flail mower

  10. Top | #8
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,281
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MowJoe View Post
    Is your roller steel or poly?
    Steel
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  11. Top | #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:01 AM
    Location
    Northern Colorado
    Posts
    934
    Thanks
    534
    Thanked 376 Times in 198 Posts
    If you ever need to move the roller a great distance, it would be nice to be able to empty it to reduce the transit weight. This would be possible with sand or water, but not with concrete.
    1025R SCUT
    H120 FEL
    260 Backhoe
    54D MMM
    54 Snow Blower
    54 Front Blade
    JD I-match
    10P Dump Cart
    Heavy Hitch: Receiver hitch w/rack, 2" receiver 8-Weight Rack, 2" front & rear receivers, synthetic blade
    Ken's BOGH: Grab Hooks/ Clevis Mounts, Oblong Ring Slings, Differential Pedal, backhoe step, etc.
    Everything Attachments: Pine Needle Rake, Aerator
    Bxpanded: Ripper Claw, Trenching Bucket, Quick Change for 260 BH
    Artillian: 3K fork frame & 36" tines
    Miller Tire: R4 tire chains

  12. Top | #10
    jgayman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Last Online
    Today @ 02:08 AM
    Location
    Central Pennsylvania
    Posts
    10,281
    Thanks
    371
    Thanked 1,701 Times in 1,288 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by keane View Post
    If you ever need to move the roller a great distance, it would be nice to be able to empty it to reduce the transit weight. This would be possible with sand or water, but not with concrete.
    Practically speaking if you need to travel that far you'd be best just to leave/sell it and get a new one later. ;-) Given the time it takes to empty the water out I can't imagine how you would ever empty sand. You can't just pick it up and pour it out. Chances are once sand was in there a while it will have accumulated moisture and won't pour like fresh dry sand. Even filling it through that tiny 1" hole would take a bit of patience.

    Just treat the thing like a ballast box - fill it and forget it.
    Levi and 69project like this.
    2012 2720 -- 200CX Loader -- 54" Quick Attach Snow Blower -- Frontier LR5060 Rake -- Land Pride RB1660 Blade (Hydraulic Angle) -- Artillian 42" Forks -- Ken's Bolt on Grab Hooks -- Fit Rite Hydraulic top-link -- 2013 X500 for mowing duties

  13. Remove Advertisements
    GreenTractorTalk.com
    Advertisements
     

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •